XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 LED headlamp retrofit to earlier cars (with full functionality)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasser xkr
I think euro sepc and UK are the same no different.

uk headlighs would blind on euro roads

Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

If they are anything like the F-Pace LED headlamps, then you choose which side of the road you drive on in the driver vehicle set-up options/config and the beams adjust for it accordingly. Maybe with retrofitting this will be missing as the software is not present?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Yes, there is no option in the menu to choose which side of the road you ll be driving. So hard to say, however i ve got 1 LED headlamp already (300eur), passenger side. Now need drivers side, fingers crossed and checking ebay everyday.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM

I figured out that UK spec headlights can be transformed to EURO spec. I called 1 company and they said they can do it. They have dissasebled them and said its possible. So im going for it.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

If both lamps are being disassembled the parts can be swapped over to the opposite lamp to change the beam pattern from RHD to LHD. It's a fiddly job but entirely possible.

Note that will only work on UK/EU lamps, and not UK/US lamps as the US regulations require amber corner markers which are integrated into the lamps on the XJs.

To touch on Roonie's comment - the setting in the menu on the my 2010 XJ and 2015 F-Type configures the automatic full beam headlamp camera so it can differentiate between oncoming headlamps and parked cars/street lamps. It does not control the headlamp pattern. I am not familiar with the F-Pace which may behave differently. The new F-Type LED lamps adjust their throw angle according to ECU inputs so they may have automatic pattern adjustment.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM

So, has anyone done the 2nd method and can tell exactly what to do ?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM
The following 2 users liked this post by Serlock:
Abd A (02-19-2020), Panthro (11-17-2023)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM

So, here is another conversion from lithuania. My electrician used the method 2 diagram. But my car doesnt have AFS originally so he had to do extra wiring from fuse box. So all is good, but i need to fix 2 issues. When the car is locked and i want to unlock it - led sidemarkers dont work, because they only work when cars ignition is on. So i must find a source of + which is on when im only unlocking the car. Because 2015+ cars has this, and prefacelift cars doesnt have it. Any ideas? 2 nd this is thar DRL's are always working in a dimmed mode. In the garage it looks fine, but in the daytime its way too dimmed. Need to be more bright. Somehow its not fully on. Any comments welcome.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all dave, this is an excellent guide, kudos.

My question is a bit different, but hopefully you guys will be able to help - sorry in advance for hijacking the thread a wee bit.

in a nutshell: is it possible (and what would it entail) to retrofit AFS LED headlamps to a non-AFS LED equipped car? As I understand it, the AFS controller from pre LED cars is used to control the newer units, would that mean a relatively easy fix is off the table?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-29-2017, 04:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey XDave. Thanks to your instructions on this thread I was able to successfully complete the headlight retrofit. I followed the wiring diagram, built the harnesss and everything works fine! I did it about 2 months ago, and everything still works perfectly fine. I went with the easier method of course. Your advice was spot-on though! The hardest part was putting the components together to build the harness, as everything came separately. I spent a few days starring at them. Lol. Once I pieced the components together, following the diagram was a breeze.

I went on and did a complete retrofit on my 2013. I updated the headlights, the bumper, grille, the emblem and rear tail lamps. My 2013 now looks exactly like a 2017 model XJL/351. You can't tell the difference. For anyone looking to update their headlights, it's definitely possible! Many thanks XDave!

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (11-17-2023)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

It looks great! Where did you have it done, and how much did it cost? If possible, please break the cost down for parts and labor for each segment separately, namely, headlights, front bumper, grille, emblem and rear tail lamps. Did you have to buy all the parts new?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
It looks great! Where did you have it done, and how much did it cost? If possible, please break the cost down for parts and labor for each segment separately, namely, headlights, front bumper, grille, emblem and rear tail lamps. Did you have to buy all the parts new?
I did the work all by myself. No mechanic, no electrician needed. I'm a novice too. I was completely clueless. I followed the wiring schematic and instructions posted by XDave, and watched a few youtube videos on soldering, diodes and relays just so I could them connect properly. It's really not hard at all.

I found the bumper on Ebay from a UK seller. The bumper came complete with the grille, emblem, parking sensors and wiring harness. I paid about $1250 shipped to the US. I then got the bumper painted to match my current color. The paint job was $350 and it matches perfectly!

The headlights were both used, and purchased off of Ebay. The left headlight was $320 and the right headlight was $900. I couldn't find one cheaper at the time. I paid $700 both of the rear taillights. The same seller in the UK that had the front bumper, also had the taillights.

The wiring harness components total costs about $250. I ordered them from that SIMTEK website that's mentioned in the thread. All of the parts come separately. You'll have to piece them together before you can actually start. Example, the circular headlight connector comes separately. You have to individually attach wiring to the 16 pinouts and stuff them through the connectors. This may sound confusing, but the items look exactly like the headlight connections that are currently attached to your vehicle. You have to take the parts and build the harness connections the same way. Then start following the diagram that's posted in this thread. That's probably the most time consuming part. Once you figure it out, it's easy but still time consuming considering that you have to build 2 headlight connectors per side (1 male, 1 female). It took me about 4 or 5 days to build the harness, that's working on it a few hours after work everyday. I'm willing to help you out in greater detail. Hopefully this is enough to get you started.

Here's a few pictures of the actual headlight harness. You experienced electrians out there, dont laugh. Lol. It's not pretty, but it works...and I didnt pay any labor costs. The headlight harness shown connected under the hood. I use zip ties to secure it.
I used the zip lock bag to further waterproof the relays, diodes, and connections although everything is aleady properly sealed. You can never be too safe. The parts comes separately. You'll start off building these first. The diagram shows you which pinouts you'll actually use. I numbered mine so that I could better follow it.

The following 3 users liked this post by ABrice:
Panthro (11-17-2023), Stuart S (07-31-2017), XJ8JR (12-04-2018)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Outstanding!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That's awesome you did it yourself, I wish I had seen this as I would have attempted myself, but I bought them already modified and Also got a lifetime warranty on them. (The warranty is on the connections/operation, not the lights themselves If anyone's interested call Sam in the U.K. Lights are plug and play.

I think you have to dial country code first 011

Here's the info and the total delivered was around 1300 euro, roughly 1500

Retrofit jaguar headlights 2016 to be fitted on earlier models plug and play ,functions as original , afs , cornering lights, DRL , perfectly well , LIFE TIME GAURANTEE .
https://youtu.be/lOEhriMu58o------
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PAIR-O...kAAOSw~bFWPnyv
for further info.contact us
on 07879345666 Sam

The following 2 users liked this post by phillyS1:
Brandon MacDonald (05-06-2021), Panthro (11-17-2023)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Thanks for convincing me to not even think about trying to do this!
I agree with this one.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
I agree with this one.
Gentlemen, I'll be honest. I just learned how to change a car tire 2 months ago. I hate working on cars and I'd rather pay someone else to do it. I have zero mechanical skills, and I was able to do a complete update on my car. It's totally possible... and its really not hard at all. I had already spent the money on the parts, and I didnt want to spend even more money on labor. So what the heck!? I was bored on a Saturday morning and decided to give it try. If you truly want to modify your car, it can be done. At the end of the day, it's just nuts and bolts.

Panthro (11-17-2023)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If only I live near where you are, I'll be more than glad to go over and volunteer my labour in return for your lessons!

Originally Posted by ABrice
Gentlemen, I'll be honest. I just learned how to change a car tire 2 months ago. I hate working on cars and I'd rather pay someone else to do it. I have zero mechanical skills, and I was able to do a complete update on my car. It's totally possible... and its really not hard at all. I had already spent the money on the parts, and I didnt want to spend even more money on labor. So what the heck!? I was bored on a Saturday morning and decided to give it try. If you truly want to modify your car, it can be done. At the end of the day, it's just nuts and bolts.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by JP-Empire
If only I live near where you are, I'll be more than glad to go over and volunteer my labour in return for your lessons!
I'll be more than happy to assist you. After all, thats what this forum is about. Just let me know how I can help.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosmetics aside, are they better?

I've been reading up on retrofiting LED headlights to my XJ, but the one thing I cannot discover is if their light output and beam pattern is actually superior. What is the consensus on that?

Old 08-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sutherland
I've been reading up on retrofiting LED headlights to my XJ, but the one thing I cannot discover is if their light output and beam pattern is actually superior. What is the consensus on that?
In all honesty, I was happy with the previous headlight's quality and performance. They were better than any other headlights on any of my previous vehicles that I've owned. I made the switch for appearance reasons only. I'd say that the new model LED headlights are slightly better though. Slightly better illumination and distance. Thats its just my opinion.

Panthro (11-17-2023)

Quick Reply: 2016 LED headlamp retrofit to earlier cars (with full functionality)