Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   About the DVD player (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/about-dvd-player-62817/)

Maybe_XJ 10-29-2011 11:32 PM

About the DVD player

I don't know if this has been answered here before. In the XJ can you play DVDs while parked and while driving, and also, how many CDs/DVDs can be swallowed by the player at one time? 6? Thanks.

azurejag 10-30-2011 12:23 AM

You can play a DVD only while parked. The CD player only accepts a single disk but 10 slots are reserved on the hard drive for CDs- they are imported when inserted.
There are 2 USB slots which is a good way of carrying your music collection

Maybe_XJ 10-30-2011 03:16 PM

When you say "10 slots reserved" does that mean a certain amount of GB reserved in the HD for ripping songs? How many GB? Also, do you have any control over what quality will be used to rip? Because the sound of the CD is much better than any compressed ripped format. I wonder if it is possible to rip the CDs in their original resolution, that is 24 bit, 44.1Khz. DVD sound tracks are at 48KHz. Blu Ray can be up to 96KHz.

Now, when CDs are ripped, the resolution is lowered and the perception of bass and treble is altered, the sound "feels" different, and overall it has less clarity and punch. So in the XJ, can I rip a CD in its original file resolution?

depeche 10-31-2011 01:37 AM

My understanding from the manual is that it rips the CDs in their uncompressed resolution, and pardon my correction, that is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. It does not rip DVDs or DVD Audio.

Maybe_XJ 10-31-2011 12:50 PM

Oh yes, it is 16 bits, my bad. Thanks for the answer anyways! Well, it's a good thing if the unit rips the audio CDs in their original format. No audio quality loss. Does the manual say how many GB are reserved for this?

depeche 10-31-2011 06:45 PM

No, but it's a 30GB hard drive, so I imagine with the nav data and whatnot there is still plenty of room. 10 CDs would be a maximum of 8GB, and the nav data doesn't seem much more detailed than the ones that came on 2 (presumably) 9GB DVDs, so I imagine there is a little room to spare (1GB or so).

11XJL-SC ATL 01-17-2012 12:08 AM

MY DVD player works 50% of the time
Does not play store bought CDs
Sometimes plays ripped or bootlegs movies
And the dealer quoted me $650 for a third set of whitefire earphones...

New2Jag 01-24-2012 01:56 PM

Make sure you are burning them properly... there is more than one way to do so. Depending on what program you use will determine the quality/style/format of the burn.

What are you using?

11XJL-SC ATL 01-26-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag (Post 459428)
Make sure you are burning them properly... there is more than one way to do so. Depending on what program you use will determine the quality/style/format of the burn.

What are you using?

Brand new store bought DVD.... No joy!