XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Aftermarket Rim/Tire Question

Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Aftermarket Rim/Tire Question

I know this will get some groans from some of you, but that's okay. As sexy as I think my vehicle is with the blacked out lights, I want to throw some aftermarket rims/tires on it. I've seen only ONE XJL with 22's on it, they were staggered 22x10.5 and 22x9 in the front with 25 and 30 respectively on back/front. The rear wheels looked phenomenal on this car... made it look very nice IMO. HOWEVER. Since this car is so new, no one can give me a 100% straight answer on the fitment and offset. I obviously know the bolt pattern, but need to know what offset will fit underneath this beast. Has anyone had any success adding aftermarket rims/tires? I don't want to get larger rims with 40 series tires and then have them rub everytime I hit a bump. I don't drive like a maniac by any means and I'm very careful going over speed bumps - but I'm hoping someone can chime in. I did a search and unless my query wasn't right, I couldn't find other posts on here regarding my question.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

And does anyone know if the TPMS sensors just pop out of the old rims and are easily inserted into the new set of rims?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

TPMS sensors are usually part of the air valve itself. Depends on the model of wheel that you buy as to whether it will be compatible with the TPMS sensor. Make sure the wheel specs specifically say "TPMS compatible". Even if it isn't compatible, you can still mount the sensors either using an adapter or by banding the sensor to the barrel. I've done both with no issues but some shops are anti-banding.

I've been meaning to purchase new wheels for my car too but have been holding off because I haven't found the right style I have in mind yet. I decided against 21" or 22" because the tires that I want are not available in the correct sizes (Michelin Pilot SuperSports)

Any good wheel shop should be able to help you figure out the correct offsets though. I've been working with a local shop here for over 20 yrs now and they make sure everything fits correctly. If they order the wrong part, they make it right and order the correct one. That way it is out of their pocket and not mine in trying to play a guessing game. For stuff like this, I always prefer to work with a local shop vs mail order/internet specifically for the customer service and less hassle with any fitment issues.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM

In case you were wondering what a TPMS sensor looks like, here is a generic pic. Angle and size of the sensor varies by manufacturer, but you get the idea.

I forgot to mention that offset is not the only determining factor as to if a wheel will fit. The type of face used by the wheel in conjunction with the offset determines how far/in the wheel fits plus if it will clear the brake calipers. Most high end wheel manufacturers offer difference face (or disc) types (concave, flat, deep dish, etc) for varying applications (front vs rear wheels, large or small calipers, etc)

Last edited by another_geek; 09-28-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
I've been meaning to purchase new wheels for my car too but have been holding off because I haven't found the right style I have in mind yet. I decided against 21" or 22" because the tires that I want are not available in the correct sizes (Michelin Pilot SuperSports)
I just got a set of new rims and Michelin Pilot SuperSports for my AMG. I absolutely love these tires. My car came new with the Conti's. The SuperSports are so smooth and grippy...sure that's not good news for tire life! I guarantee you can't go wrong with the Michelin's!

To the OP, I bought my new wheels from TireRack with new TPMS sensors installed, think they cost like $40 in total...

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by hunterjah
I just got a set of new rims and Michelin Pilot SuperSports for my AMG. I absolutely love these tires. My car came new with the Conti's. The SuperSports are so smooth and grippy...sure that's not good news for tire life! I guarantee you can't go wrong with the Michelin's!
My car came with Dunlops and they actually aren't that bad. I've gone through a couple sets of PS2s on my Lexus and I love them so I'm really looking forward to the PSSs. I have Conti DWSs on my MB and for a general purpose/long lasting tire, you can't beat it. But that category of tire is not what I'm looking for for the Jag

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

I have looked, a lot... I cannot find anywhere that can confirm unequivocally that certain rims will fit on my car. There is one company on eBay that sells rims, with them already mounted on a Jag... but they are limited to one set. The Jag dealer in Tampa has a customization shop... they put MOZ rims on all the 'modded' cars... I just don't feel like spending $6k on rims.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

This is my XJ. Custom built rims to fit the car and color coded lip and face.

Msg me if your looking for a set.

remember SC models have a bigger brake so not all rims will fit.

The following users liked this post:
Dochands (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Those are the best looking custom wheels I've seen so far for the XJ. Really like the color matched rims, especially in white.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 They look fantastic!!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SKFORZA can you provide me the name of the shop that did those for you? I have a white one as well and thought of this but seeing it makes me want some.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM

thank guys for the feedback

I designed those wheels and custom picked where the paint is.

SKFORZA is my shop name im based out of Edmonton. Canada.

but all my contacts are in US. so if you wanna cook something up let me know im sure we can.

eta for build time is 3 weeks.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Those look hot! The first after market rims I have actually like. Way to go.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking rims. Do you use another set for winter driving?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Are those MOZ rims?

Id guess by your username thy are Forza rims, but I couldnt find them.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM

no there not MOZ and SKFORZA is my company name haha

they are a 3 piece wheel

Yes im using my stock 20's which were just glossed black recently for winters

Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo - does that mean you aren't going to tell us what they are?

I'm less curious about the style and more curious about the fitment. I've found about 5 different rims I'm interested in and none of the resellers have any clue if they'll fit over the calipers. I don't want to order a set and find out I can't mount them. I hate having stock rims, but I'm not just going to throw money at set after set and hope I can sell the previous pairs.

Any help would be nice...

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM

they are modular society.

well in that case your talking to the wrong people. order a set through me and it'll be made for your jaguar not a universal fit lol. our cars arent honda civic's.

but it all starts with the bolt pattern, and the offset is very very high which makes it hard for the rims to have a nice lip. that you find on BMW7 series.

so let me know if you are interested i will get you a custom set to your color and taste.