XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Block warped

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louie Dachshund
Is your engine still running fine? What did it end up costing you? My XF has a blown head gasket. I already tried installing a used engine and that engine also blew a head gasket (within 200 miles). My mechanic thinks the gasket on the used engine was warped. The cost of another used engine is about $5500 and the labor was $3500 to install (labor and new parts). I got a refund on the engine but (obviously) not on the labor. I don't want to go that route again and risk losing another ton of money on labor. I'm in California, btw. I figure if the cost isn't too bad, it might be worth a shot. It seems my options are limited at this point.

It's a 2011 XF Portfolio 5L V8 w/54K miles on it. Excellent condition so it kills me to take the loss. With the blown head gasket car runs rough and will let coolant in the engine after driving only a few miles. As soon as engine gets hot it misfires and goes into restricted performance mode.
Was there a cause of your blown head gasket? Did the car overheat? Anh performance mods on the car?

Old 11-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes still up and running, it was a major project. I did it to see if it could be done. I was lucky the internals of the engine were in perfect condition, other than gaskets and the shims, parts cost was low.

As for the machining, if I received a bare block and bare heads, decking the block, resurfacing the heads and pressure testing the heads would cost 750.00.00. the shims were 125.00 a pair. I did get new head bolts from jag. If its an assembled engine the cost would be extremely higher around 2500.00 plus parts and machining. And you’d have shipping. Were located in mentor ohio. You can email me direct at powerlineengine@ gmail.com thanks tom

Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tmvandervort
Yes still up and running, it was a major project. I did it to see if it could be done. I was lucky the internals of the engine were in perfect condition, other than gaskets and the shims, parts cost was low.

As for the machining, if I received a bare block and bare heads, decking the block, resurfacing the heads and pressure testing the heads would cost 750.00.00. the shims were 125.00 a pair. I did get new head bolts from jag. If its an assembled engine the cost would be extremely higher around 2500.00 plus parts and machining. And you’d have shipping. Were located in mentor ohio. You can email me direct at powerlineengine@ gmail.com thanks tom
I'm glad that worked out for you. I was major league skeptical when you started out given the abortive attempt to rebuild the 5.0 motor in my XJ. After a proper Jag motor was sourced by the warranty company, I dumped the car at CARMAX. The motor had been in and out twice, and the first time they tried to return the car to me with the good motor there were ground connections missing and I just did not trust the thing any more. Even my SA said dump it.

The XJ has the best interior of any of the "affordable" (i.e. not Bentley) big cars, but disliked looking at it while stuck on the shoulder of I-40. Will I get another similar luxury car in the future? Maybe not. I may go the used X5 diesel route for my wife and call it done. Sad, but reliability is a REQUIREMENT in the desert SW, something Jaguar seem incapable of delivering. Mind you, BMW are about to issue a recall on their diesel because of EGR cooler issues. You can't bloody win.