Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Bosch AGM Battery (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/bosch-agm-battery-212478/)

Stuart S 01-04-2019 08:25 PM

Bosch AGM Battery

I decided to replace my original primary battery, even though I've kept it on a CTEK maintainer and it hasn't given me any electrical gremlins or problems starting.

So, why replace it? My 2013 XJ was manufactured in September 2012. Since that battery is now over 6 year old, who knows how much longer it'll last? The Pep Boys auto parts store near me had an ad for the Bosch AGM battery. The regular price is $219.99, and it's on sale now for $175.99 plus tax, installed with a 4-year replacement (non-prorated) warranty. It took less than 30 minutes. They also have a similar Champion AGM battery for about $20 less, but didn't have it in stock.

I had to reset the clock, but all the other memories appear to be OK. When I drove it, the first thing I noticed was that the Stop-Start system worked much better. I suspect that, due to its age, my original battery didn't hold a sufficiently high charge to always activate the Stop-Start.

Out of curiosity, I hooked up the new Bosch AGM to my CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer. As I suspected, it wasn't fully charged even though it is brand new. When I plugged it in, the CTEK lit up to Stage 3 and stopped there, with Stage 7 being fully charged. Obviously, it sat on Pep Boys' shelf for a while without being charged. I'm sure it'll be at Stage 7 tomorrow morning.

So, if you're thinking about replacing your battery, check out the sale at Pep Boys.

mc690 09-11-2021 05:26 AM

X351 is a Power Whore

The X351 XJ really is! This is my 2nd Tata Jaguar. My first was the first year X250. I had a couple issues on the car not wanting to get out of park. I never thought it was the battery as it started right up but then one night it wouldn’t. Triple A came tested & started. Driver told me I needed to replace it. I moved to South Florida from the much colder North. I erroneously thought it was the cold that killed batteries; that driver told me the heat here is actually worse for batteries.

I also got the Bosch AGM from PepBoys! It was great. Even after Hurricane Irma visited & left the place a mess it stayed strong! I slept in my reclining seat with everything open listening to the radio all night. (Maybe only most the night—years ago.)

Then I bought a newer X351; My XJ battery was low. I couldn’t just play the radio for more than 15-20 minutes. I drove to a NAPA 20 miles away (They’ll test ‘In Car’ & then running to test alt.) The battery was 60-70% charged. Then had a business trip150 miles away. After I got back tested @ local NAPA, main was 85%+ & secondary 100%. My XJ sat at a Dealer before buying but uses much more battery power than my XF does. I STILL can’t play the radio for long periods with the engine off. I don’t have anyplace to use a tender. I can only let the alternator charge it while driving. (Yes, it tested fine.)

leadfoot4 09-21-2021 06:27 AM

Due to most cars now chocked full of power drawing, electrical components, don't most cars automatically shut off the radio after 10-15 minutes, so you still have enough power to start the car, the next time you want to?

QP7 10-11-2023 12:42 AM

Maybe its time for a car designer to scrap all the stuff we don't really use or need..., or at least have that as an option..?