Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Creaky noise from XJ Door Seals (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/creaky-noise-xj-door-seals-74027/)

eami001 05-27-2012 05:38 AM

Creaky noise from XJ Door Seals

Hey people.

I have a 2010 XJ351 SWB and a particular noise is driving me crazy... I use to drive a BMW and never heard so many creaks and noises come off from a cabin so the XJ noises are really driving me crazy. One of them in particular is a creacky noise which is present all the time as I am driving. I have pin-pointed the noise to the seals around the front and rear doors of the car. As I am driving the car, there is obviously movement on the doors and with every slight movement there is mutiple creaks that can be heard from the seals around the door as they rub against the rubber seals on the body of the car. The creaks are much louder on the front doors than rear but are present on all 4 doors.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there a solution to this?

Your input would be much appreciated...

RJC 05-27-2012 02:05 PM

Try a "dry" silicone or silicone emulsion spray yourself, or the dealer has a similar treatment for this; if it keeps returning after treatment then the seals may need to be replaced.

JB600 05-01-2014 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've spent ages trying to work out why the doors creak on my XJ. At first I thought it was the hollow rubber seals, then I thought it was the door striker. Today I worked it out - it's the rubber seal on the very outer edge of the door that fills the shut line between door & roof.

It can be recreated when stationary by gently pushing the top of the glass.

If the dealers apply silicon, it'll just come back after the next wash as mine always has.

Now, I've had my car treated with Superguard which gives the finish of the car a more grippy finish compared to plain paint. I think this may contribute to the friction between rubber seal and bodywork, increasing the creakiness.

I've attached a picture showing the seal that causes it. When I get time I'll t-cut the door shut and apply polish to see if a smoother finish to the bodywork helps. I'm also going to try my favourite creak preventer - graphite powder.

In the meantime, I now only have to apply some silicon to that specific piece of rubber seal, rather than plaster it on everything as the dealers tend to.

Executive 05-01-2014 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by eami001 (Post 519979)
Hey people.

I have a 2010 XJ351 SWB and a particular noise is driving me crazy... I use to drive a BMW and never heard so many creaks and noises come off from a cabin so the XJ noises are really driving me crazy. One of them in particular is a creacky noise which is present all the time as I am driving. I have pin-pointed the noise to the seals around the front and rear doors of the car. As I am driving the car, there is obviously movement on the doors and with every slight movement there is mutiple creaks that can be heard from the seals around the door as they rub against the rubber seals on the body of the car. The creaks are much louder on the front doors than rear but are present on all 4 doors.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there a solution to this?

Your input would be much appreciated...

Just realized it's an old thread

Executive 05-01-2014 12:21 PM

For anyone else, I was in the similar situation with my XF, ended being the sunroof seal.

Apply this stuff, usually lasts 3-4 months.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-98403/page3/

tbird6 05-05-2014 12:49 PM

Another vote for Silglyde. I have used it for years on all my rubber weather-stripping. Conditions the rubber and will stop the noises from the rubber rubbing on the steel.

That brand is a bit cheaper as I always have used the NAPA brand purchased from the store.

Of course you don't use very much and a tube lasts a LONG time. My tube does not even look like what they are using now so it must be 10+ years old.

Get it a try as it is not very expensive.

gregg5788 05-20-2014 01:21 PM

Works

Interesting, this seems to work. However, the real problem is wrinkly door seals. I see the wrinkles on the passenger and driver side rear doors. These will need to be replaced I assume, to solve the problem.

Dreamerstudio 01-06-2019 11:39 PM

Luckily, this method just cured the symptoms. I had thought about opening the door panel. I’ve been using for more than a decade.

TXFireblade 01-07-2019 09:29 PM

I had the same problem on my 2012 XF Supercharged. The noise was coming from the outer door seal (felt like material). I tried the recommended products from various threads but none of them lasted. In the end I found a recommendation to use fabric softener on a BMW forum and tried that. It worked better than anything else - just apply some to a cloth and then wipe it on the furry side of the seal. it lasts about 6 months and then just re-apply. I use the unscented concentrated type but they all seam to work the same.