XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Dealer Put Wrong Oil in Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts
Default Dealer Put Wrong Oil in Car!!!

Well this is a bit unbelievable since Jaguar makes such a huge deal of ONLY using Castrol Edge Professional OE that meets Ford WSS-M2C925A/B spec.
I paid $175 to have 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum installed.

Now I am perfectly happy to use Pennzoil and have in the past. So I don't have a worry about the oil quality but I think this shows how completely bogus Jaguar recommendations are.
Pennzoil does NOT meet the required Jaguar spec. Even stranger is last year they installed 5W-20 Castrol! But even then they didn't mention if it's the Edge Pro OE or not?

The Castrol oil is simply a marketing deal and has zero to do with what oil works in our engines. I feel stupid because I try to follow the manufacturers recommendation and have pushed the Castrol oil on this forum even though it's very difficult to get.
I have contacted Jaguar North America and the dealer for their answer to this question.
It should be interesting to say the least. I may even contact the home office in the UK to get their opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Matt Cox (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

IMHO it's good you have notified both your dealer and JLR as using the proper oil is imperative. I'm pasting in an abridged version of a couple of posts from the F-Type forum that I found extremely interesting.

Why you should only use Castrol Edge WSS-m2c925A

Posted by Member “Queen and Country” from the UK on the F-Type Forum 02-22-2019

“Jaguar has a Patent on the cam mechanism that not a lot of folks know about. It even licenses this technology to Ford.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7841310B2/en
Basically if you open an engine from a regular car or even previous Jaguar's, you will find that oil naturally cooks on to many surfaces.
But it does not matter. These engines are fairly low tech when it comes to oil.

Your Jaguar engine get amazing performance (low end torque) by doing things with oil that no other manufacturer does.
It’s like a Swiss watch of delicate parts. The patent above is for a small pin that slides in and out. Oil moves this pin. No other engine in the world other than JLR and Ford have it.
What do you think will happen if you use oil that cooks quickly (becomes coke). Where after you turn the engine off you have heat soak.

Your engine is not built the same as other engines.
It needs just 3 things from the oil.
1. Good cleaning abilities
2. Ability to clean after long term use.
3. Not leave too much deposit.
Now you can become an engineer and figure out the perfect oil, or just use the one their engineers already blended. (WSS-m2c925A)”

Also posted by Q and C

“I can explain it in a simple way.
In other cars oil is used for lubrication, cleaning and cooling only.
In our cars it’s also used for controlling the timing of the engine.”

Lastly, in the owner’s manual it reads “Castrol is "recommended" oil. WSS-m2c925A is the REQUIRED spec oil.

Last edited by XJsss; 03-11-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Ugh. Dealers

Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum does (or did in 2017) meet the Jaguar spec for engines needing 5W-20..

Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
The 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum does (or did in 2017) meet the Jaguar spec for engines needing 5W-20..
According to the OP the dealership used 0W-20 not 5W-20.
Anyway, here is the spec of the Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ..._Plat_0W20.pdf
It says it meets Ford WSS M2C947-A which I suspect exceeds the recommended 925-A.
I doubt if the dealership would use this oil if there was any chance of it causing a problem.
(PS - OP - your name and address are showing on the copy of the dealer invoice, maybe an idea to black them out!).

Old 03-11-2019, 11:40 PM

I did note that. I was just letting the OP know that Pennzoil UP meets spec for 5W-20 (my local Jaguar dealer used to use this oil and not the Castrol product).

Old 03-12-2019, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I did note that. I was just letting the OP know that Pennzoil UP meets spec for 5W-20 (my local Jaguar dealer used to use this oil and not the Castrol product).
Sorry mate, after I posted I realised what you meant, I wasn't having a go at you!
Thing is around 2013/2014 JLR changed the recommended oil grade on the AJ133 SC from 5W-20 to 0W-20 although it is/was still the exact same engine, and after a lot of research on this I concluded that it was wholly and solely for published fuel economy / CAFE / emissions reasons. The 0W-20 oil results in a tiny fuel economy improvement in the lab tests due to it's lower (thinner) cold viscosity (0 vs 5) which also helps a tiny bit on a very cold start up.
Not much use to me in hot ol' Adelaide where it never gets below freezing and often gets over 100 F (and sometimes over 110 F), so I use 5W-20 exclusively!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

That oil is fine, castrol was recommended because back in 2010 castrol supplied the oil spec'd by jlr. Since then there are alot more. And ya'll realize that they probobly supplied the oil for free to jlr just to have it "recommended" and their name on the oil fill caps....

Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
That oil is fine, castrol was recommended because back in 2010 castrol supplied the oil spec'd by jlr. Since then there are alot more. And ya'll realize that they probobly supplied the oil for free to jlr just to have it "recommended" and their name on the oil fill caps....
I can believe that.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Thanks for chiming in, sir. For those of us also in the Houston area, who change our own oil, what would you recommend we buy that is readily available on the shelves here? Or routinely stocked online?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

I wanted to get Jaguar's reply before finishing up this thread.
I had to request several times for my inquiry to be sent to the UK so Jaguar's technical people could answer.
I must say it's a strange and bizarre reply??

"I have heard from the technical manager. He has stated that you are correct. The Pennzoil Ultra Premium 0W-20 and 5W-20 oils do not meet the WSS-M2C925-A standard recommended for the engine in this specific vehicle. The only approved oils for use are Castrol, however using an oil that meets the correct standards from another manufacturer should not affect engine performance or longevity."

Can anyone interpret this?
It seems to be saying yes we used the wrong oil but it does not matter even though the oil used does NOT meet WSS-M2C925-A.
Circular logic?

Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I actually read the other way - The oil WOULD have been o.k. to use had it met the M2C925A spec, even if it was not the Castrol Professional OE that is suggested.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
I actually read the other way - The oil WOULD have been o.k. to use had it met the M2C925A spec, even if it was not the Castrol Professional OE that is suggested.
+1 They are saying you can use Ravenol, liquid molly ... etc as long as they meet the original 925A spec. You should not use the Penzoil

Old 04-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

+2 on the recommended speck WSS-M2C925-A. Therefore I woulds put the dealer on notice that they now must honor your warranty and stop selling non recommended oil or lose their franchise.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I think you guys are right. I misinterpreted what they said.

Just to finish up this thread, after getting the technical manager in the UK to agree that yes the dealer did install the incorrect oil. I spent another week or two asking for a solution with no response.
Then I demanded a free oil change and to use the correct rated Castrol oil. Jaguar NA has contacted me and stated I will receive a call from my dealer to set up an appointment for a free oil change with the correct oil.
I have not received a call yet but sure I will.

Man what a cluster Jaguar created with all this "special" oil crap!!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Well it took awhile but I finally got the correct Castrol put in at Jaguar's expense.
Funny because the service guy says in the US Jaguar has a deal with Shell. So that's why I got Pennzoil. It's their shop standard oil.
He had to special order the Castrol to override that!

Old 05-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

clubairth1, reading between the lines here then is "the dealership is still going to use the wrong oil on all the other cars and not care". Am I reading that correctly? Maybe I am being a little too literal in things. Would be almost fun to take your car back in to the dealership in a year when it needs its next oil change and see if they put the wrong oil into the car again. Not that I wish this pain on you again, but, I would think that this sort of thing would be something that Jaguar could pull a dealership license over. part of getting the license is you will do things to the level that the manufacturer wants and if that means you use a more expensive oil, then you use that oil. I am sure that the dealership has put the Pennzoil oil in other XJ's and no one has complained. So, does that make it right? I am sure this can even expand into the XF, XK, and F-Type lines (any car that uses the 5.0L engine).. I am sure they all have the same requirements.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

What do you think? Is this new Liqui Moly Special Tec LR 0W-20 that meets the new JLR spec STJLR.51.5122 an acceptable alternative to the Castrol Unobtainium 5W-20 that meets the original Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec?

Sure, it's a lighter (0W) viscosity when cold, but it's the same 20W viscosity when warmed up to operating temperature.

Did JLR make any internal changes to the 5.0L NA or SC engines after 2013 that would preclude use of this oil in pre-2017 models? Or is this new, lower viscosity STJLR 51.5122 spec simply to improve fuel economy?

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/press/...over-2649.html

It's available from this vendor in 5L jugs, 1L bottles, and complete oil change kits.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...hle-lm20410kt1

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-01-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you go to their web site, there is also a 5W-20 version available :

https://products.liqui-moly.com/spec...r-5w-20-1.html

What is interesting is that while I have been running the Special-Tec in my car for the past three years BECAUSE it met the m2c-925 spec, according to another member who purchased it recently, the bottle no longer lists this certification. This could explain it. We will have to see how obtainable Special Tec LR will be.

Quick Reply: Dealer Put Wrong Oil in Car!!!