Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Easiest way to remove the front grill? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/easiest-way-remove-front-grill-203512/)

EmmanuelTam 06-18-2018 01:51 AM

Easiest way to remove the front grill?

Hi,

I am planning to paint the front grill in black or replace it with an painted grill. I have researched a bit on this forum but found most threads suggesting that front bumper had to be removed to access to the grill. Now with more of you guys having done that, is there an alternative way to remove the front grill without removing the front bumper let alone the front wheels?

Because I have a baby girl, my wife simply would not grant me a few hours just to do some cosmetic jobs on the car LOL

Anyone who could shed some lights would be much appreciated!!

XJ8JR 06-18-2018 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, the bumper must be removed in order to access the grille. And removing the front wheels will make access to the bumper bolts MUCH easier.

Also, I would not recommend simply painting your existing grille. The paint will chip fairly quickly. Save yourself the time and heartache and just buy the ready-made grille.

1bad55chevy 06-18-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 1915198)
Unfortunately, the bumper must be removed in order to access the grille. And removing the front wheels will make access to the bumper bolts MUCH easier.

Also, I would not recommend simply painting your existing grille. The paint will chip fairly quickly. Save yourself the time and heartache and just buy the ready-made grille.

You could paint the stock grill but it would need to be sanded for the paint to stick. The amount of prep time to sand the grill would be a waste and would be much easier to buy a new one already painted.

Have you thought about vinyl wrapping or plastic dipping your grill?? I have seen a few people in the XF Forum using plastic dip on their grills with very good, cheap, and fast results.

phillyS1 06-18-2018 09:01 PM

I taped and painted mine with krylon satin plastic paint and primer. Looks awesome took maybe 30 min. 2 light coats and then a medium and then a heavy.. Been about an year looks perfect still.

XJ8JR 06-19-2018 12:16 PM

I think it depends on if your driving is mostly city or highway. My commute is all highway and my painted grille didn't go for more than a week without chips appearing. I ended up going with the black pack grille from Mina Gallery. Much nicer and shinier than the paint turned out.

EmmanuelTam 06-19-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 1915198)

Thanks XJ8JR for delivering the sad news.
I have actually been able to source a reasonably priced ready painted grille and it's on its way.
I am not sure I can remove the bumper in a short period of time in my car park. Might have to leave it to good hands.

EmmanuelTam 06-19-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 1915745)
I think it depends on if your driving is mostly city or highway. My commute is all highway and my painted grille didn't go for more than a week without chips appearing. I ended up going with the black pack grille from Mina Gallery. Much nicer and shinier than the paint turned out.

Yes, same thinking. I drive mostly on highway. Therefore I have purchased a black grille and black ring.

phillyS1 06-19-2018 10:18 PM

That makes sense, I only drive mine occasionally and in good weather locally, almost never in the highway.