XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

first problem with the new xj and it may be a big one

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like you will be opening up the supercharger sooner or later anyway. Why not open it up now and see if there is any obvious damage?

Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply.

iv actually found another supercharger for £400 brand new.

as the belt off is the quickest way to test it. i will just purchase the new one and fit that if it runs fine.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I had an issue with my starter and it ended up being the cable that goes from the starter all the way down the side of the car. There is a connection about halfway down the car on the passenger side. The tech said the cable was causing the starter failure.

C2D46680 is the part number on the invoice

Old 06-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by zu11y
thanks for the reply.

iv actually found another supercharger for £400 brand new.

as the belt off is the quickest way to test it. i will just purchase the new one and fit that if it runs fine.
Makes sense. BTW, that’s a great price for the whole supercharger; a new Jaguar supercharger is usually thousands.

Also, my independent shop did comment that a brake booster vacuum pump seized up on one customers car. As it is a mechanical pump driven indirectly by the engine it could also be something to look at. But admittedly lm not an expert on these pumps and their frequency of seizure.

Last edited by Nedoerr; 06-23-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

IMHO, what is needed is more diagnosis, less throwing parts at it. You already said the supercharger turns freely, so why change it now? Focus on the biggest problem, which is the shredding starter motors.

Some checks that can be done to confirm engine health :

1) Run a compression check on all cylinders.
2) Examine the inside of the cylinders (ie, for coolant) - plugs are out for (1) anyway.
3) Does the engine turn freely with the plugs out? (plugs are out for (1) and (2) anyway).
4) Drain the oil, check the pan for debris, ie bits of bearing metal.
5) Inspect the timing chain and the tensioners.

I've always ran a compression check on used cars that are new to me. Under the circumstances you are under, I'd consider it essential.

Last edited by Mark SF; 06-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM

I think we’re all saying the same thing. No one is suggesting to buy parts in the absence of proper diagnosis. I suggested opening up the supercharger as he mentioned excessive grinding sounds. If some plastic from the isolator has broken off it may only get caught up when the engine is trying to come up to speed. Hand spinning the supercharger won’t necessarily tell you if there is a broken piece in there.

Also the supercharger will need to be serviced at some point if it’s making a lot of noise. That’s why I suggested he might want to open it up now as he will invariably head that direction eventually anyway. That was my logic initially.

Though I agree with the OP that bypassing the supercharger is a better way to move forward to diagnose the starter issue. Then he can tackle the supercharger if the car continues to look promising.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:37 PM

thanks for the replies.

i havent actually thrown parts at the vehicle with the exception of battery and a replacement starter which were essential to move forward.

the labour is all free so no worries there.

the timing checks will be done on wednesday, and depending on the results i will continue onto the compression checks.

really sorry if my methodology is abit wierd, just working on the less time consuming tasks as were running a busy garage at the same time.

as for the supercharger as ive found a new replacement so cheap i would rather remove and replace rather than open and inspect.

i really appreciate all the suggestions and will keep the thread updated

Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'd suggest getting a compression tester, and an endoscope. They'll both be useful many times in future. My endoscope has been very handy, mainly for finding all those fasteners that disappear into the bowels of a Jaguar V12.

Here's mine, but I'm sure they've moved on a lot since I bought it :

https://smile.amazon.com/Autel-Maxiv...s%2C268&sr=8-1

Old 06-26-2019, 01:19 PM

right guys had my friend over from land rover with his timing tools and can confirm the timing is out by 1 tooth.

this most likely explains the misfires and as a previous member mentioned it may backfire and break the starter.

so next step is to strip front end and have my friend install the new timing chain and guides.

will update as the job progresses.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Nice one

Old 07-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Default update

were currently in the processes of stripping the engine down.

at the moment were stuck on removing the crank bolt.
but the bigger concern is the injectors.

has anyone replaced the timing chain with the engine in place.

as it is looking very likely that we may need to drop the engine and gear box.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I went thru timing chain issues with my Xj, Ended up being cheaper to just swap the motor than repair heads and timing. Look for a good low mileage motor from LKQ if you're in US. Sorry.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Don’t know if this video helps you. I watched it but still opted to have mine done professionally.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by phillyS1
I went thru timing chain issues with my Xj, Ended up being cheaper to just swap the motor than repair heads and timing. Look for a good low mileage motor from LKQ if you're in US. Sorry.
from the uk bud. these engines are difficult to find here and the ones on sale are all over £6000.

we have decided to just drop the engine as it will make the repair alot easier with the engine out albeit taking a good few days extra.

will update as we progress.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Don’t know if this video helps you. I watched it but still opted to have mine done professionally.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J2X5rByzXME
How much did it cost you? And how many hours did it take them? I have to get mine done too.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:43 PM

I’m being quoted 18 hours of labor (mine is in the shop as I type this). I think 16-22 hours is pretty standard. However the real question is whether you want to replace additional parts while doing the timing chains, as almost everything else will be free labor.

I’d have to look at my parts list to see what the cost was for just timing chain / tensioner portion of job. I added other parts for the reason mentioned above. So my parts list is ~$2800, but I think only ~$1200-$1500 was for the timing chain/ tensioner portion of the job. Unfortunately I’m on vacation so don’t have access to the file, but I can give you a price breakdown Sunday when I return.

Here is the link to the latest thread about it. My parts list is near the bottom. The valve covers were the wrong part numbers, but everything else is correct (assuming you have same setup as me). You will also require coolant and oil change. I plan to update the parts list again on that thread on Monday after I pick up my car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2085718

All the best.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I’m being quoted 18 hours of labor (mine is in the shop as I type this). I think 16-22 hours is pretty standard. However the real question is whether you want to replace additional parts while doing the timing chains, as almost everything else will be free labor.

I’d have to look at my parts list to see what the cost was for just timing chain / tensioner portion of job. I added other parts for the reason mentioned above. So my parts list is ~$2800, but I think only ~$1200-$1500 was for the timing chain/ tensioner portion of the job. Unfortunately I’m on vacation so don’t have access to the file, but I can give you a price breakdown Sunday when I return.

Here is the link to the latest thread about it. My parts list is near the bottom. The valve covers were the wrong part numbers, but everything else is correct (assuming you have same setup as me). You will also require coolant and oil change. I plan to update the parts list again on that thread on Monday after I pick up my car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2085718

All the best.
Thank you, I would appreciate it if you could do a break down. And if possible I know you already posted part numbers on the other thread. But if you could post every part and number you used during your repair, that would be awesome. Thanks again

Old 07-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Default update

right guys.

got the crank bolt and pulley off and visual proof of the issue.

the tensioner in the right block was siezed which resulted in major slack and the chain to jump a tooth.

we are currently removing the various components to allow us to drop the engine. at this point my friend from land rover will pop over and time the engine using the dealer tools.

will update as much as poss and have been taking pics which i will upload in one go.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That's exactly what my symptoms were. Right chain had jumped 1 tooth. Tensioner wasn't doing anything at all in that side. Double check you right cam shaft and bearings, on mine the cam shaft had worn thru the bearing due to running a while with the jumped tooth. That's when we decided to swap the motor instead of repair.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by phillyS1
That's exactly what my symptoms were. Right chain had jumped 1 tooth. Tensioner wasn't doing anything at all in that side. Double check you right cam shaft and bearings, on mine the cam shaft had worn thru the bearing due to running a while with the jumped tooth. That's when we decided to swap the motor instead of repair.
will do
how was your car running? and did you have any issues with the starter motor

Last edited by zu11y; 07-09-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: first problem with the new xj and it may be a big one