XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New 2016 SC engine in a 2011 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New 2016 SC engine in a 2011 Problems

Hello all.

As some of you know I recently bought a 2011 SC at auction with a major engine problem for 18k in Beautiful condition inside and out minus the motor. My mechanic convinced me it would be much better to go with a new motor rather than machine a head, and replace all the timing components as he has a great hookup with LKQ and was able to find me a 2016 5.0SC aj133 for 9k delivered. The craziest part was that the motor was pulled from a car that had been dropped in dealer transport and only had 4 miles. not a typo 4 miles!
Basically spend 12 total installed for a new motor, or spend 6k plus repairing the problems in the 2011. So I opted for the 2016 motor with 4 miles.

I had read on here about the electronics switch between denso and bosh in 2013, and even asked my mechanic about it and he was certain he could make it all work. Well yesterday I stopped in and he informed me that they were able to swap all the sensors, flywheel, mounts, and whatnot from my old motor to the new, and everything was fine....

EXCEPT THE SUPERCHARGER!!!!!! he showed me how the new SC had an electronic control instead of a vaccume line. SO here we are. new motor in the car, and a brand new shiny supercharger that he doesn't think he will be able to use. he wants to put my 63,000 mile SC on the new motor, but said my SC has seen better days and he showed me a little play in the pulley and a jiggle in the crazy looking blades inside of it. he said it will run that way but gain almost no power from the sc

So, My question to all the helpful people on here...

Is there any way to get a new ecu that would allow the new SC to work. They look identical except for the way the intake valve is operated. or is there a way to rebuild my old SC with the internals of the New?

any insight into this process would be appreciated. Has any one else installed a bosch MY AJ133SC in a Denso MY car and actually had it work? I am now so worried that after all this time and money the car wont run correctly. and as of now I'm out of money and have no supercharger to be installed and they are quite expensive.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I personally would be looking at replacing the bearings in the old supercharger and going that route. There isn't much to a supercharger. So, unless the blades of the supercharger are toast, you should be golden after new bearings are put in. If the only play is in line with the blades, then you should be good. The big thing will be how much clearance there is between the blades and the body of the supercharger. There should be minimal gap. When you start getting too much gap, the air goes around the fins to the next set of fins as pressure is built, resulting in very little air flow overall. Granted, this could be overcome by either plating the inside of the supercharger to reduce the gap and/or replacing the rotor to get rid of the worn blading. Granted, you will not want to get the blading too tight as this may change the output pressure of the supercharger which will affect power (ie, less gap means less air going around the fins, therefore more air to the engine, more boost, more fuel can be added, resulting in more power).

Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the response, yes I guess I'll have him rebuild he old supercharger. Do you know if the new sc bearings and internals are identical enough to the old one and we can swap?

My shop is looking into solutions as well, I'm stopping by the mechanic tomorrow I'll let you know what they come up with.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,764 Posts

I think I would get new bearings for your old SC.

Then you would have a brand new 2016 blower to sell. You could easily damage something on the new blower when swapping bearings and stuff around.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

IMHO your issue is in the nose piece of the SC that had a TSB on the spring at the back of the nose piece that got "lazy" so I would use my old SC with the nose piece from the new SC and that will get rid of the slack, done no extra $$$.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Thanks xjsss I will discuss with them tomorrow. Thx

Old 08-26-2017, 02:38 PM

They rebuilt my old supercharger and everything seems to be wrapping up nicely. Also, I now have a basically brand new 2016 sc with 4 miles on it for sale if anyone is interested. Let me know thanks.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What you have here is OPPORTUNITY. AJ engine is held back by undersized SC, with a better unit you probably would be able to safely hit 650hp. Message @unhingd, he did some research into SC to potentially upgrade it on his F-type.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:20 PM

Too late, they already rebuilt and installed my old one unfortunately.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Got the 2011 supercharger rebuilt for the 2016 motor and Now there's another major issue that's popped up now that they got the motor running.... so there is some sort of magnet sensor in the 2016 that's causing the engine to cut out all the time. It has to do with the starter system and the way the 2016 stops at red lights and restarts. My mechanic can't figure out how to work around this and is going to reach out to a dealer tomorrow. Does anyone have any insight into this problem and have any possible work around a we might be able to try?

I'd really appreciate any help on this

Chris

Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM

So to anyone wanting to use an updated 2014 newer aj133 motor in an older denso car. There are a lot of hurdles but it is possible.

The work around to the start stop issue is pretty involved and we wish we had known before putting the motor in. Apparently It's a much easier fix with the motor out. There are some magnetic cam sensors that also need to be swapped out to the denso version that are not set up for the start stop. I will post all the details and part numbers when I finally get the paperwork after there car is done. I couldn't find any research on this so I'm hoping our trials might help the next person needed to swap the motors. And what's also got to know is that the newer motors are actually much less expensive as the older denso motors are becoming harder to source in decent shape/mileage.

But as of now, my mechanic has swapped all the sensors and we will know by tomorrow if it fixes the stalling problem, but he's very confident, and said he didn't catch it as the connectors come out of the newer motor in the same spot and have the exact same electrical port connection, they just don't send the right info.

The following users liked this post:
prodigy215 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for posting your experience. It should help a lot of people in the future. Please let us know the outcome.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 AM

Happy to report that the 2016 motor is now running perfectly. I picked the car up Thursday and have been driving it all over. The used motor they found me only had 4 miles on it so I am still breaking it in and being gentle but it sounds awesome. So for anyone out there wondering if you can put a new 2014 and up AJ133 SC motor block into an older model with the denso computer system, it works and is running perfectly.

All the sensors need to be pulled from the old motor and swapped. Along with the cam gears. Flywheel, Fuel system, And the supercharger. We rebuilt mine as it was beat.

I recommend this to anyone with a bad motor in an older car. The newer motors are actually less expensive and can be found with very low mileage from the wrecker. Also. The timing system, cooling system, and a few other things have been improved and the updated motor is all around more reliable.

If you have any questions message me, or want a shop that can tackle this for you in the Philly area
Try Turchi Enterprise in Lafayette hill. The shop is incredible and the mechanics are fantastic. And you can not beat the price.

Love driving this car!!! Been waiting 2 months!!!
Have a good day!

SinF (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a result. Thanks for keeping us all up to date with the work. Should be helpful for someone with a dead motor in the future.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Thanks, I couldn't find any info out there on doing this swap. And jaguar itself said it wasn't possible. So I figured I would let everyone know that it is. I'm so glad it ended up working out!

tberg (10-15-2017)