Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Has anyone changed the stock rims on the XJL and had issues with it? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/has-anyone-changed-stock-rims-xjl-had-issues-180482/)

meanweather 04-22-2017 05:10 PM

Has anyone changed the stock rims on the XJL and had issues with it?

Has anyone changed the stock rims on the XJL and had issues with it? I changed my rims from the stock 20's and went with 21's, had rims on car since Dec 2016 and just the other day the TPMS and dash ALL went ballistic.

Z20 04-23-2017 12:56 AM

I had a TPMS issue that was caused by a USB phone charger. What is your car doing, and what if any messages are you getting? I've put aftermarket wheels on 3 of my clients XJ's and 1 set on my personal car with zero issues, other than the strange charger situation. I would assume with some specifics the people way smarter than me on this forum can help you figure out a solution.

BritCars 04-23-2017 07:57 AM

Can you describe what the display was doing? Possible it's low battery vs a tpms specific issue

Did you use oem tpms sensors in the wheels or aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones often don't seem to work well on the jag system

Stuart S 04-23-2017 02:39 PM

My dash went bonkers because I forgot to remove my OBDII Bluetooth code reader before restarting my XJ. I cleared all the codes and it never happened again. Now I always unplug it after I shut off the engine.

meanweather 05-09-2017 12:42 PM

What size rims did you go up or down to ? I went with 21, 255/35/21 on front and 295/35/21 on rear. Worked fine for a few months then just went bonkers the sensor lights I mean all of them went off. I changed out rims and tires back to stock issues went away, how strange. I then too the car to Jaguar they indicated it was the ABS speed sensor was reading 3mph difference. Who has had any issues like this, I have had many vehicles and have changed EVERY last one of the rims and tires out with the TPMS and NOTHING ever like this. Any suggestions ?

rhankey 05-09-2017 02:56 PM

Your front and rear tires are different in overall diameter, and thus resulting in the 3mph speed difference your ABS/Traction control computer has measured using the wheel speed sensors. Specifically 255*.35=89mm vs 295*.35=103mm in height difference. ABS & traction control assumes the same diameter wheels at all four corners. I don't believe there is a way to program the computers to indicate different size wheels front to rear. You'll need to choose tires that work out to the same outer diameter at all 4 corners.

meanweather 05-13-2017 01:04 PM

I would have to get 255*.40 for the front for it to work perfectly. Your thoughts on fit ?

Z20 05-13-2017 02:32 PM

I had my computer adjusted to make the speedometer read the accurate speed after I put aftermarket wheels on that had a bigger circumference. At 50mph I was actually going 58mph so it was a pretty big difference. So I know that can be done.
Anytime we put aftermarket wheels on a vehicle we try to stay as close to the factory circumference as possible, to hopefully avoid any of the issues you have encountered. I would use a "tire size calculator" and see what size 21" setup gets you close to the factory 20" setup. And if you end up with a bigger circumstance in the the rear (for example) try to increase the front the same percentage. The unfortunate part is that you are doing all of this with 21" tires which aren't as common as 20" or 22" and can get costly. I was told I had to be as close as possible to my fronts & rears matching because of the AWD and therefore had to have a crazy size tire in the rear (23 series, very odd).
​​​​​​​If you have problems getting tires or the price is too crazy let me know and I'll check my pricing with the hopes of saving you a few dollars.

Bri's Jag 10-26-2019 10:10 PM

Hey what was your fix on that??

Bri's Jag 10-26-2019 10:18 PM

I have the 2011 XJL and have all the dashboard lights on because I went with a different set of stock 20's. My tire guy says the 2 fronts are reading ok but not the back 2 so i put 2 aftermarket Tpms on the rear, drove 50 miles lights still on. If I bite the bullet and get Oem Tpms for the back should this fix everything just by just driving a little while, I don't want to do the whole dealership thing I'd rather not get raped and screwed in broad daylight

clubairth1 10-28-2019 02:30 PM

There are 2 different problems here?

If you change the OD of all 4 tires then yes you can use the Jaguar SDD tool to correct your speedometer.
However if you have different OD's between the front tires and the rear tires you will get all the errors and lights posted above.

The question is how much difference the factory electronics will allow between back and front tires before triggering errors?
Usually it's a couple of percent at most. The guy above was 3% off and it was OK for awhile then went nuts.

The TPMS has nothing to do with setting ABS/traction control errors?
The only error you should get is an TPMS error. What other lights were on?
Maybe a picture to help us out?

Interesting about the OBDII reader because I leave mine in 100% of the time. I did buy one that powers down when not in use as an aid to prevent battery drain.
It's been in a couple of months and no problems so far.

Randy Mounts 10-29-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by rhankey (Post 1679572)
Your front and rear tires are different in overall diameter, and thus resulting in the 3mph speed difference your ABS/Traction control computer has measured using the wheel speed sensors. Specifically 255*.35=89mm vs 295*.35=103mm in height difference. ABS & traction control assumes the same diameter wheels at all four corners. I don't believe there is a way to program the computers to indicate different size wheels front to rear. You'll need to choose tires that work out to the same outer diameter at all 4 corners.

my 13 has 22" staggered and reads correctly without issue.. but the tires and wheels were done at a Jag dealer before i took delivery
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e3d95149c6.jpg

Bri's Jag 10-29-2019 04:56 PM

Yes maybe I should have been more clear I don't have any ABS lights on so the wheel and tire size isn't a problem, I went from the 19 factory rims and tires to 20 inch factory rims and tires both Jaguar off of a slightly newer XJL im assuming. Even though my new ones are 20s the tires are thinner to compensate because on my 19's the tires were taller so everything should be even and Steven... I got this entire set of 4 shipped from England used takeoffs and 2 of the back rims had the 433mhz and strangely the 2 front rims had the 315 MHZ... Long story short I put two brand new aftermarket 315s in the back and because the fronts already had 315s they have been initialized and I still have all my dashboard lights on TPMS error that won't go off so now I don't know what to do..... some people say to get the VDO or oems but are way more expensive... even slightly cheaper aftermarket ones should still work I'm thinking ugh!!!

Hailers 10-30-2019 04:10 AM

Going from 19" to 20" factory wheels will not matter at all. I bought a '17 Jag on the condition that the '20" be swapped for 19" wheels/tires. Reason: lower aspect tires make less NOISE.

You can use a Tire Size Calculator from the site I'm leaving here and see that for a fact. You've a tps problem imho. I'd go to a tire shop like Discount Tires and see if they can solve the problem.....cheaply.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Mercedes-...tandard-Model/

Bri's Jag 10-30-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hailers (Post 2146991)
Going from 19" to 20" factory wheels will not matter at all. I bought a '17 Jag on the condition that the '20" be swapped for 19" wheels/tires. Reason: lower aspect tires make less NOISE.

You can use a Tire Size Calculator from the site I'm leaving here and see that for a fact. You've a tps problem imho. I'd go to a tire shop like Discount Tires and see if they can solve the problem.....cheaply.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Mercedes-...tandard-Model/

Wow that's refreshing your the only one I know that ever purposely went down a size. Yes I know what you mean, with my new 20's the tires are obviously a little thinner and not as tall so the ride is a little stiffer and more prone to a little more noise I'm assuming. I've got all the four 315Mhz in place but car not reading them turning of dash lights off so many say to get the VDO Oem ones most mention Rock Auto there like $50 a piece so ill probably have to take a chance and order those today.. it sucks I put 2 cheaper aftermarket ones in the rear and no dice.:-(.. Stupid picky Jaguar

gagman66 01-28-2020 10:58 PM

TPMS Failed after a few days

Originally Posted by meanweather (Post 1679467)
What size rims did you go up or down to ? I went with 21, 255/35/21 on front and 295/35/21 on rear. Worked fine for a few months then just went bonkers the sensor lights I mean all of them went off. I changed out rims and tires back to stock issues went away, how strange. I then too the car to Jaguar they indicated it was the ABS speed sensor was reading 3mph difference. Who has had any issues like this, I have had many vehicles and have changed EVERY last one of the rims and tires out with the TPMS and NOTHING ever like this. Any suggestions ?

I upgraded from 20" to 22" wheel package. The package came already mounted with sensors from the seller. Local tire shop programmed them and the car was fine for a couple of days. Then the Failure light started. I checked the air and returned to the shop. The first shop said only one sensor was reading, so I took it to a second shop and was told that none of them were reading, even after tech changed frequency/settings with programming tool.
Question: Did I receive faulty sensors (aftermarket I'm sure), or some other component is causing the issue? Do you recommend I buy new OEM sensors or taking the ones from my OEM wheels and installed in aftermarket wheels?

Rodney

Redmen 01-29-2020 06:06 AM

Hi all,
I had same problem - aftermarket sensors can be correct but not recognised (TPMS Fails message...) (so I still have 2 sets of aftermarket sensors - wireless TPMS programmer-tool sees them, but nt the car... )
Original Jaguar/LandRover sensors had been fitted and recognised immediately.

Redmen 01-29-2020 06:13 AM

Something else about wheels:
I had 3 different sets of rims on my 11 XJL with no problem. None of them are original Jaguar. (The original is the "winter" set.)
If boring and ET / offset is correct you can use them.
One more thing: you have to check if the wheel is not touching brake-calliper!!! (17", 18" and some 19" wheels)