XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJL engine oil underfilled

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJL engine oil underfilled

i just see that my engine oil level is under filled, i see this message 10 minutes after stopping the engine. However, if I check the oil level in the morning i.e when engine is cool it says add 1 quarter oil. Is it safe to drive when il level is under filled by 1 quarter.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

If you are driving the car to the corner store to get a quart of oil, sure, drive it there. If you are planning a 500 mile trip, then I would tell you to take another vehicle.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

1 quart low isn't going to hurt anything but I would put it where it is supposed to be.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagGate:
2018XF25T (12-14-2023), ysivakumar2 (05-23-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

With all the engine failures, I personally would be paranoid. I'd get a oil and filter change and look for a leak. I hate to neglect things though, engines are expensive and a pain in the a$$ to change.

The following users liked this post:
ysivakumar2 (05-23-2018)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried to check my oil level and saw that it is underfilled.
Added 2,5 litres (0,5 gallons) on top of it, and the level still shows the same level and that it is underfilled.

Can it be broken sensor?
I just do not want to put more oil to cause overfill.

Is it possible to check if the level is ok other way? Even with broken sensor.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rhomanski
With all the engine failures, I personally would be paranoid. I'd get a oil and filter change and look for a leak. I hate to neglect things though, engines are expensive and a pain in the a$$ to change.
what's with all the engine failures I have seen a few for sale with "seized engine" even with low mileage
maybe the type of oil they were using?

Old 12-11-2023, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

JaguarXJL15, I bet if you go looking, I would say 99% of them are going to be coolant related. You get the oil too hot and it will turn to a goo and you might as well just put superglue in as the oil. Also, with the excessive heat from coolant loss, you will warp the heads and/or block and then you will have loss of compression and a whole slew of other issues.

Now, you cheap out on the oil and stick in what you shouldn't (say conventional oil or say a 10W-40), you can seize the engine that way in no time flat too. But, you would have to be completely ignoring what all the manuals say and just going on as if it was any other car. In that case, you get what you deserve.

wombat (12-15-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
JaguarXJL15, I bet if you go looking, I would say 99% of them are going to be coolant related. You get the oil too hot and it will turn to a goo and you might as well just put superglue in as the oil. Also, with the excessive heat from coolant loss, you will warp the heads and/or block and then you will have loss of compression and a whole slew of other issues.

Now, you cheap out on the oil and stick in what you shouldn't (say conventional oil or say a 10W-40), you can seize the engine that way in no time flat too. But, you would have to be completely ignoring what all the manuals say and just going on as if it was any other car. In that case, you get what you deserve.
coolant related would be water pump or the hose under the superchanger that's known to leak?

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 12-11-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:48 PM
Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbertas
Tried to check my oil level and saw that it is underfilled.
Added 2,5 litres (0,5 gallons) on top of it, and the level still shows the same level and that it is underfilled.

Can it be broken sensor?
I just do not want to put more oil to cause overfill.

Is it possible to check if the level is ok other way? Even with broken sensor.
2.5L over is worse than 2.5L under. Oil cannot compress. Unfortunately, Jaguar opted to eliminate the engine and transmission dipsticks from these engines.
The definitive solution is to drain the oil and measure how much comes out. Compare to the indicated level and the spec. Next, fill with the correct viscosity with the corect amount, then check the indicated level. Might as well change the filter at this time; everything is done from on top.
When posting questions, always start with the model year of your car and state the engine you have. We can then tell you the correct oil amount you should have.

Last edited by Baltobernie; 12-11-2023 at 09:54 PM.
wombat (12-15-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 09:30 AM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
coolant related would be water pump or the hose under the superchanger that's known to leak?
There are at least hundreds of posts in here that describe years of this stuff.
Instead of asking The Forum to re-write everything that's been written before to answer your question that's been discussed thousands of times, read the posts that already exist.
That's the main value and benefit of forums that chronical the extensive history of dialogue.

If you're counting on anyone answering your questions that are already common forum topics, you'll get only a small hint of what's available.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 12-12-2023 at 09:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 12jagmark:
ralphwg (12-12-2023), rothwell (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
2.5L over is worse than 2.5L under. Oil cannot compress. Unfortunately, Jaguar opted to eliminate the engine and transmission dipsticks from these engines.
The definitive solution is to drain the oil and measure how much comes out. Compare to the indicated level and the spec. Next, fill with the correct viscosity with the corect amount, then check the indicated level. Might as well change the filter at this time; everything is done from on top.
When posting questions, always start with the model year of your car and state the engine you have. We can then tell you the correct oil amount you should have.
I think that's the best advice, but remember that some drain the oil through the fill cap tube with a suction tool and others drain the old-fashioned way.
Depending on which way you drain the oil, you'll get (slightly) different amounts out, but you'll never get the entire amount out due to oil in different places in the circuit.
Refilling as much as comes out should always get you back to where you started, so checking the engine cold before filling it (as long as the sensor is working) will let you know if that's "full" or low.
And from my experience, I raise the front of the car (on ramps) so I can get under it & drain from the pan. When I do that the engine is not level, so that has some slight impact on the oil level reading (and how much drains out). As such, I always find that I need to add a half quart or so more after getting it back on the ground & level.

And the oil level sensor can fail, but is pretty easy to replace while the has been drained. It attaches to the oil pan from the outside. Replacements are available from JLR or others such as Rock Auto.(part number AJ812432) and a fresh O-ring for it (C2P14601) to avoid creating an oil leak.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
... Depending on which way you drain the oil, you'll get (slightly) different amounts out, but you'll never get the entire amount out due to oil in different places in the circuit...
The difference between the two methods is negligible, as described in a post several years ago where somebody drained via the plug afer suctioning until dry. Of course, if you pull the plug and waited a day or two, you'd get more residual oil, but with 7¼ liters in the system, the amount is inconsequential.

The OP described a difference of 2½ liters, and deserves answers to this predicament, not coolant leaks or premature engine failures.

wombat (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,220 Likes on 1,756 Posts

That is a question I had myself!
When the XJ first was released and Jaguar went to the electronic level gauge and the oil removal tube on top of the engine. There was some talk that Jaguar had removed the drain plug and that the tube was the only way to change oil?

So my first oil change (After the car went off warranty) I got the car on the lift took off the under body panels and the engine still had the good old drain plug in the oil pan!
First I sucked the oil out from the top and then removed the drain plug in the pan to see what came out. Well it was just about nothing and the suction tube is down far enough that yes it does suck out all the oil!

I am convinced it makes zero difference in the amount of oil drained out and using the suction tube is just for convenience.
I currently use the suction tube method.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
fossberry (12-15-2023), OzXFR (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:31 PM

That's good to hear that there is no difference. I could see where lifting the front end to drain from the plug could possibly drain out a little bit less then, considering it would be slanted and oil could be trapped because it's not level then.
That just proves it would be worth it to invest a little in one of those suction tools that you guys have suggested instead of spending all the time & effort to lift it & remove the lower panels to get to it after all.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
That's good to hear that there is no difference. I could see where lifting the front end to drain from the plug could possibly drain out a little bit less then, considering it would be slanted and oil could be trapped because it's not level then.
That just proves it would be worth it to invest a little in one of those suction tools that you guys have suggested instead of spending all the time & effort to lift it & remove the lower panels to get to it after all.
About five years ago now I switched from the sump plug method to the suction/extraction pump method and I will never go back to the old way!