XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Loosing Faith on my XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loosing Faith on my XJ

hey guys, new guy here, let me first say that ever since this current line of the xj came out i always wanted it, i love the line of the car, i have a 2013 xj white color that i always wanted and couldn't be happier when i got it, i always get compliments because the car looks sexy as hell, but man, i don't know if its time to take it behind the barn and shoot it, i feel i just keep wasting money on it, let me explain quick

Got it on 2016 with 27k miles, when i got it it had the check engine light, and warranty covered it and fixed it.
Put 2 new tires to make it look good,
After that a buzzing sound from the dashboard appears and warranty fixed it
After that a hose from the radiator broke and had to pay for it.
After that got the light for low coolant, had to replace the reservoir, paid for that.
After that got my detail guy to fix all the sticky buttons, paid for that.
After that the front parking sensors fell inside bumper, had to fix it, paid for that.
After that the left side view mirror didn't fold anymore and was making a crazy loud sound, had to replace it, paid for that,

all that in less than 2 years, and i only put 5k miles a year, i don't even drive much, i have 38k now, but NOW, i have this chirping sound which i think comes from the dashboard driver side, its not a beeping sound, its not rhythmical, its weird, sounds like a chirp from a grasshopper, and only sounds when i'm driving it, i've been reading a lot in this forum to see all possible scenarios and, its not a radar, its not a fuse, i think it could be a bushing which transfers the sound all the way to the inside, i think its this because the dealer had recommended to change the front left bushing.

This chirp is driving me crazy but i'm not sure if i do change the bushing it will make the sound disappear, because if it doesn't its just money wasted, i just rather get another car, so thats why i don't know what to do, should i spend more money on this car and this will finally fix this, or should i just give up, before i make my decision i wanted to see if you guys could help me determine what could be the chirping sound,

Only chirps when im driving, when the car is moving
Seems to come from the driver side
its not rhythmical
and its not all the time.

please help, i already started to look for cars but man i really like this jag, its just the constant maintenance that drives me crazy, thanks in advance for all you guys help.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think you have unreasonable expectations for a used luxury car. Your 2013 XJ is now 6 years old and components will start to wear out and not work. Your list of repairs is very short and minor in nature, yet you are exasperated and considering selling the car. This tells me you have no tolerance for things breaking down. Therefore, my recommendation is for you to trade your XJ in for a brand new Toyota model of your choice.

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

heavywolf, if you can, make a recording of the noise. This may help us here to get to a proper diagnosis. I know I have heard of squeaks like you are talking about coming from the steering column (different model vehicle) that drove people nuts. If it is a bushing like you are saying and only seems to happen when you are hitting a bump, then I would be looking at the rear bushing for the lower a-arm on the driver's side. You can squirt some WD-40 into the bushing initially to see if the squeaking changes. This will help you confirm the problem before just replacing a part hoping that it is the correct one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
heavywolf (07-25-2018), mainep (07-28-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
I think you have unreasonable expectations for a used luxury car. Your 2013 XJ is now 6 years old and components will start to wear out and not work. Your list of repairs is very short and minor in nature, yet you are exasperated and considering selling the car. This tells me you have no tolerance for things breaking down. Therefore, my recommendation is for you to trade your XJ in for a brand new Toyota model of your choice.
hi, thanks for your reply, i'm not sure if you are being condescending sending me to buy a toyota but ill take it as you are not, even thou you didn't help me out with the problem i'm having i'll comment on some of your suppositions. My expectations may be unreasonable as you claimed because of past experience with an S550, A7 and panamera, and currently a velar, whereas they did give me some trouble for normal wear and tear, they were not as often as close to each other like my XJ is doing, and got all the cars used, around 20k miles, 2 years older from the year i got them.

Thank goodness this list of repairs is short, otherwise i would've sold it long time ago, and yes i am a little desperate because i don't like to keep repairing a car that its kept in great conditions and i don't drive much, its only logical. I want to keep my jag, its super sexy and i love it, but if a car keeps asking you for money even thou you don't really use it much, its not smart in my opinion.

thanks again.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
heavywolf, if you can, make a recording of the noise. This may help us here to get to a proper diagnosis. I know I have heard of squeaks like you are talking about coming from the steering column (different model vehicle) that drove people nuts. If it is a bushing like you are saying and only seems to happen when you are hitting a bump, then I would be looking at the rear bushing for the lower a-arm on the driver's side. You can squirt some WD-40 into the bushing initially to see if the squeaking changes. This will help you confirm the problem before just replacing a part hoping that it is the correct one.
hi thermo, thanks for the reply, yes i read a lot of threads of people having an issue similar but there were from different models, that is why i am not 100% sure what it is, im gonna try to take a video for you to see and do that you are recomending, i will keep you posted, thanks a lot.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default is chirp outdoor temperature/sun sensitive

Is the chirp you are hearing more noticeable when its warmer outdoors and sun has been hitting the top of the dashboard. I've noticed I get some chirp/squeak from the vicinity of the curved wood trim on the dashboard when its warm/hot outside and the sun has been shining on the top of the dashboard and I'm driving on uneven pavement. If I put pressure on the wood trim the noise goes away. Or I turn the radio up a few more notches.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by heavywolf
past experience with an S550, A7 and panamera
I think you simply got lucky, while you XJ is just average. As far as I know Mercedes S550 is a money pit, with a number of hugely problematic components like ABC suspension. However, someone somewhere must have had perfect ownership experience due to how statistic work. It could have been you.

Jaguar is not known for above average reliability. If this is your key consideration, Toyota is a way to go.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by waggybeast
Is the chirp you are hearing more noticeable when its warmer outdoors and sun has been hitting the top of the dashboard. I've noticed I get some chirp/squeak from the vicinity of the curved wood trim on the dashboard when its warm/hot outside and the sun has been shining on the top of the dashboard and I'm driving on uneven pavement. If I put pressure on the wood trim the noise goes away. Or I turn the radio up a few more notches.
i thought about it first, i thought when the car was hot it was making that sound but last nite it proved me wrong, im gonna get it on video for you guys to hear, and yes ive been trying to push down or adjusting pretty much every part of the whole dashboard but have no idea where the sound is coming from, thanks for your reply.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

So I had to replace my windshield after a tire tread was kicked up on the expressway and I had this creaky/tappy sound that, I thought, came from around the rearview mirror. Took It to my Tech Keith at the Jaguar dealer and after riding with me as a passenger found that the right "A" pillar trim was creaking against the windshield. So dealer techs have these kits with fabric patches, some with adhesive on one side and a velvety covering on the other. He took off the trim put a small strip of the material on the trim and viola no more creaky noise.

Last edited by XJsss; 07-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
So I had to replace my windshield after a tire tread was kicked up on the expressway and I had this creaky/tappy sound that, I thought, came from around the rearview mirror. Took It to my Tech Keith at the Jaguar dealer and after riding with me as a passenger found that the right "A" pillar trim was creaking against the windshield. So dealer techs have these kits with fabric patches, some with adhesive on one side and a velvety covering on the other. He took off the trim put a small strip of the material on the trim and viola no more creaky noise.
Thanks a lot for the info, i will consider that too, nice jag by the way.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Hey guys check out the video, you will notice the first couple of chirps are low in volumen, but the later ones become louder, what do you think?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Just to commiserate, That would be quite annoying. I agree that telling you to get a Toyota doesn't help anything. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mainep (07-28-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Thanks a lot for the info, i will consider that too, nice jag by the way.

thanks buddy.

ok guys i have an update, hopefully this helps everyone who is having this problem and dont know what it is.

Last night i was driving and hearing the chirp, pulled over and got out of the car and starting shaking the car side by side, i heard the sound fromt he inside, but decided to open the hood, shook the car more and i hear the sound coming from under the hood ,shook the car down and up from the driver headlight and heard the sound coming from the strut area, shook the car more and look underneath, applied wd40 to pretty much everything and it was still chirping, turned the tire to the right side and shook the car and it didnt sound, turned the tired to the left side and shook the car and it was chirping, so i am 99% sure its the strut, i took the car to the mechanic and told him all these, we will see what he says, ill give you an update tomorrow, its amazing how the sound was transfered to the main cabin, making me think it was coming from the dashboard, hopefully this is it.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

These cars were once notorious for cracking-like noises from the sunroof area, since sorted out, but I have to say your noise is not commonly reported on here. As you say, it seems to be from going over bumps, and the first candidate must be the lower front shock bushes that do not have a very long life as each spring/shock unit has this bush and together they take the whole weight of the car ! It's essentially a Ford design, and not one of their best efforts, I'm afraid. The one I drove in late January this year for four days was totally silent so there is something wrong somewhere, but I don't think it will be hugely expensive, (says he hopefully !!). Apart from the coil springs the front suspension is the same as my car, the previous model, and the rear is identical with air springs.
Do try and persevere, as I've found that one can get a series of small problems then, once they're sorted out the car runs many miles without a problem.

The faults you have reported are, I have to say, unusual for a car on 27k miles, especially the leaky header tank. These eventually go, but at much higher mileages (like double or more). The mirror problem was probably corrosion and a cleaning out would probably have cured it, (again something unusual at 27k miles).

Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having the same Chirping Noise

heavywolf

I have a 2012 XJ base model w/56k mile on it and I've had the same chirping/squeaking noise for about 2 months now and I'm wondering what your mech told you the problem was if any.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mainep
heavywolf

I have a 2012 XJ base model w/56k mile on it and I've had the same chirping/squeaking noise for about 2 months now and I'm wondering what your mech told you the problem was if any.

hey guys i got my car back, and yes it was indeed the struts, and the strut mount, the seals that was on the mounts were all broken and rusted, one the reasons that happens in a car with so few miles like mine its because i dont drive it a lot, so that worked against me.

if you are having a similar problem, before changing the mounts and struts do the tests i did, open the hood and shake the car up and down to see if you hear the sound coming from there, if you do focus on the area werr the struts are to see which one it is, turn the tires all the way left and shake the car, and do the same for the right side. If all those tests check same as me, then its the struts and mounts. They come in pairs so you will need to change both, it costed me almost 1700.

Now lets enjoy the jag.

The following 2 users liked this post by heavywolf:
FrankZ06 (08-21-2018), SinF (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 06:39 PM

hey guys i got my car back, and yes it was indeed the struts, and the strut mount, the seals that was on the mounts were all broken and rusted, one the reasons that happens in a car with so few miles like mine its because i dont drive it a lot, so that worked against me.

if you are having a similar problem, before changing the mounts and struts do the tests i did, open the hood and shake the car up and down to see if you hear the sound coming from there, if you do focus on the area werr the struts are to see which one it is, turn the tires all the way left and shake the car, and do the same for the right side. If all those tests check same as me, then its the struts and mounts. They come in pairs so you will need to change both, it costed me almost 1700.

Now lets enjoy the jag.
Thank you my brother for that info!! I'll be sure to update you

Old 08-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mainep
Thank you my brother for that info!! I'll be sure to update you
did you get an update about the problem you have?

does anyone knows if there a way to contact an admin to change the name of the post to "chirping sound coming from dashboard solution", that way anyone with the same problem i had can find the solution faster?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Thumbs up

did you get an update about the problem you have?

does anyone knows if there a way to contact an admin to change the name of the post to "chirping sound coming from dashboard solution", that way anyone with the same problem i had can find the solution faster?
The dealer listed a lot of things that need to be changed but the culprit right now is the strut mount and bushings on the passenger side. The other things were Isolator Spring, Upper wishbone and control arm. I'm not focused on these because I'm trading the car in soon so I'll only be changing out the mounts and bushings. Thanks for your help!!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, new guy here, let me first say that ever since this current line of the xj came out i always wanted it, i love the line of the car, i have a 2013 xj white color that i always wanted and couldn't be happier when i got it, i always get compliments because the car looks sexy as hell, but man, i don't know if its time to take it behind the barn and shoot it, i feel i just keep wasting money on it, let me explain quick

Got it on 2016 with 27k miles, when i got it it had the check engine light, and warranty covered it and fixed it.
Put 2 new tires to make it look good,
After that a buzzing sound from the dashboard appears and warranty fixed it
After that a hose from the radiator broke and had to pay for it.
After that got the light for low coolant, had to replace the reservoir, paid for that.
After that got my detail guy to fix all the sticky buttons, paid for that.
After that the front parking sensors fell inside bumper, had to fix it, paid for that.
After that the left side view mirror didn't fold anymore and was making a crazy loud sound, had to replace it, paid for that,

all that in less than 2 years, and i only put 5k miles a year, i don't even drive much, i have 38k now, but NOW, i have this chirping sound which i think comes from the dashboard driver side, its not a beeping sound, its not rhythmical, its weird, sounds like a chirp from a grasshopper, and only sounds when i'm driving it, i've been reading a lot in this forum to see all possible scenarios and, its not a radar, its not a fuse, i think it could be a bushing which transfers the sound all the way to the inside, i think its this because the dealer had recommended to change the front left bushing.

This chirp is driving me crazy but i'm not sure if i do change the bushing it will make the sound disappear, because if it doesn't its just money wasted, i just rather get another car, so thats why i don't know what to do, should i spend more money on this car and this will finally fix this, or should i just give up, before i make my decision i wanted to see if you guys could help me determine what could be the chirping sound,

Only chirps when im driving, when the car is moving
Seems to come from the driver side
its not rhythmical
and its not all the time.

please help, i already started to look for cars but man i really like this jag, its just the constant maintenance that drives me crazy, thanks in advance for all you guys help.
Not sure if the sound is the same but I had a busted shock mount with about 36k on XJL. It squeaked loudly when driving from the passenger side. I could push down on the car and replicate the squeak. $800 bucks to replace both sides. Not sure if the same thing but it sounds similar to my experience.

Quick Reply: Loosing Faith on my XJ