XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Well, here will be my home thread for the foreseeable future, having bought my beautiful dream car a few days ago.

For those that don't know, The last 4 years have been a whirlwind of ownership in my XJ X358, A car I loved and enjoyed having many happy memories. She was with me for just a shade over 4 years having bought her at 62k miles around my 50th birthday, gone but not forgotten as they say
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-x358-113597/

I started to get to thinking that around 15k - 20k per year was a little too much moving forward as she reached 130k miles so it was time for a change, I started looking quite enviously and in greater detail at the X351

This now leads me to start my actual ownership thread relating the experiences of my time with the X351 Portfolio LWB I am now lucky enough to own.
Someone, Henry B I think it was said they were looking forward to a thread such as my X358 ownership thread. I have to say that is unlikely as this car has so many features and options there will be little I can do to change / improve although I will try.

It's more of a thread concerning ownership, the positives and any issues as they pop up, but may be more about cleaning it and adding pics initially

I had actually looked at and was almost ready to buy an Autobiography when my BFAM Ashanti made me aware at the eleventh hour of this beauty I now own, she's a Portfolio LWB version in 3.0d guise and has been spec'd with around 12k worth of options.
Black exterior again but with London Tan interior this time, a 65 plate so just 2 years old with only 16,795 miles on the clock, 20" Orona alloys in immaculate condition and lots of toys, someone really stepped up for this car, that became a bargain for me. She comes with just under 2 years Jaguar used approved warranty
Here she is......

There's so much to see and learn
The rear window and side window electric operated blinds are a really cool feature

The heated and cooled seats all round with 4 variable settings on them too were also a big hit!
Played around with the TV and rear media for a while, BBC / CNN checked them out, so much more available though. It has it's own wifi hotspot so connectivity to the internet is possible and checked that out also.

The cameras are amazing, 360 degree surround camera with birds eye view is crazy, blind spot monitor and lots more.
Looks like I'll have to contact Jaguar to set up the Incontrol account as it's already registered to the PO but I'll get that sorted asap.

Loving the soft blue hue that accentuates the door handles, clock and various window buttons etc in the evening, although not on the air vents as previously thought. These will look even better once I do the illuminated sill tread plates mod.
Looks like I'll be nerding out on this stuff for quite a while

In all honesty I can't see how there is much I can do to put my own stamp on this, but we'll see as time goes by
Initial thoughts are very simple and straightforward.....

1. Personal plate added as soon as the DVLA do their thing
2. Bootlid spoiler
3. Wheels off and hubs/ calipers painted, the Red will go nicely imo
4. Front n rear dashcams are a must
5. Illuminated sill tread plates

The journey begins.....

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Don B (04-10-2018), oldrover (02-11-2019)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Fit for a Queen!

Congrats - absolutely gorgeous, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Your dilemma is where to sit - in the front (driver's seat) or in the back (with all the goodies!)???

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-25-2018 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Fit for a Queen!

Congrats - absolutely gorgeous, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Your dilemma is where to sit - in the front (driver's seat) or in the back (with all the goodies!)???

Thanks Stuart, unless you're casting aspersions lol

If it's good enough for the Queen and the PM its good enough for me and will have to be for several years to come lol
Jim

Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Thanks Stuart, unless you're casting aspersions. ...
Jim
Absolutely not - she's a remarkable lady!

Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Hi Jim
Nice new car you have there !

I had one of these as, (wait for it !) a courtesy car from Crewe Jaguar, the new dealership here in Crewe. My car was in for a heater matrix replacement. A lovely car to drive, but the waist line is a bit too high and the rear window might as well not be there for all you can see out of it ! Interior is what I would call "German modern with added bling".
Having had the car for four days, I think I could get used to driving one, but the amount of dosh to find is too much at the moment.
So....
Happy Jaguar motoring !

JimC64 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Brilliant specification car, I added the illuminated cills to mine a few months after I got it, I also found a replacement boot panel with the illumination as well, way under new price. I agree the blue subtle lighting is lovely. Looking forward to your thread on the ownership.

JimC64 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice! I just put the below front/rear (both HD) camera in my car. Unobtrusive and simple to operate if you can get it in your neck of the woods. Hardwiring to the overhead console is super simply and there is a TON of room to hide wires in the same area.

Amazon Amazon

JimC64 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

congrats Jim! sexy looking car. enjoy it

JimC64 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

I dropped by Taggarts new dealership in Glasgow earlier today, very impressive setup too and loads of stock, loads of space for customers too which will make a nice change.

I checked their pricing for giggles on a few accessories

Mud flaps front £45.00 each
Mud flaps rear £45.00 each
Fixing kits £11.28
Pedal kit brake / accelerator £87.69
Gear paddle shifter set £321.48

All plus v.a.t
Expensive stuff, so will be looking elsewhere obviously lol

I really wanted to talk to them about the Incontrol setup. It seems before I can set up my account the prior owners details needs to be removed, therefore, I need to wait on my V5 and call in with ID and the car and they'll get that done for me.
He showed me the app on his phone and what it can do, pretty awesome.

Later in the afternoon I had a call from Alec Escolme, he's working in the area and did I want to meet up for a bite to eat / drink and a catch up?
Sounds good to me....

I drove out to meet him and have the craic, good to catch up and have a natter. It gave him a chance to view the car too and share his thoughts, I don't think Alec's a massive fan of the X351 but seemed to be quite taken with a few of the aspects of mine, we played with a few toys and gave her a wee run out.

A quick bite to eat and then home for more domestic duties, oh joy of joys!

Jim

Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Congrats Jim - I never thought you'd actually do it - you loved your X358 and it looked stellar. Well nice to have you join the X351 club and will follow your experiences with interest.

JimC64 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Hafren, she's a real beauty and it was love at first sight, a great drive and I'm really impressed so far.

I hate to say this as I loved my X358 so much, but it really is a few levels above and beyond in every way.
That's not to detract from my X358 which was and still is a lovely ride.

The good news is she went to a veteran Jaguar owner who bought her immediately she went up for sale and seems to have an affinity of sorts.

He's even stated that he may bring her along to the forum meet at Crieff in a few months time, which would be awesome.

Really looking forward to getting to know the new ride, which, as it has so many options may take some time lol

Thanks
Jim

Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Just checked and found out a little more....

Trim is - VENEER-EBONY MACASSAR
Exterior colour - ULTIMATE BLACK/SANTORINI BLACK
Interior - London Tan

2 things to check with Jaguar....
2 outstanding campaign(s) for this vehicle...
  • H007 - SERVICE WARNING MESSAGE NOT DISPLAYED
    H007 - 'Service Required' Message Not Displaying

H043 - DEF QUALITY WARNING
    H043v2 - Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Quality Warning message maybe Displayed On The Instrument Cluster (IC)

Minor features...
    79 minor feature(s) for this vehicle.
    • 20X9FR/20X10RR ORONA PAINTED
    • AIR CONDITIONING-FRONT/REAR
    • AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST
    • BADGE-JAGUAR
    • BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
    • BRAKE CALIPERS-SILVER
    • BUMPER LWR VALANCE
    • CARPET-EBONY
    • CASTLE BROMWICH
    • CCR CENTRE CONSOLE
    • CCR COCKPIT
    • CCR DOOR CASING - CORE
    • CCR FRONT BUMPERS
    • CCR FRONT DAMPER
    • CCR HEADLINING
    • CCR REAR BUMPERS
    • CCR REAR DAMPER
    • CCR SEATS
    • CRUISE CONTROL
    • DBLE LCKNG PWR LCK LATCH/CINCH
    • DR TRIM PNL-EXTENDED LEATHER
    • DR/PAS ELEC FRT ST ADJ/MEMORY
    • DRVR PWR FRE/AFT/HGHT/TILT/EXT
    • DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM
    • ELECT REAR SIDE WINDOW BLINDS
    • ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW BLIND
    • EU6B + DPF EMISSION
    • EXT MIRROR FINISH-BODY COLOUR
    • EXT TRIM SURROUNDS-CHROME
    • F*245/40R20 R*275/35R20 SUMMER
    • FOOT PEDAL - STANDARD
    • FRT COIL/RR AIR SUSPENSION
    • FRT/RR TGHND W/PRIV GLASS
    • GREAT BRITAIN
    • GRILLE-BLK MESH/CHROME SRD
    • HEADLINING - SUEDECLOTH
    • HEADPHONES-WIRELESS X 3
    • HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN
    • HEATED STEERING WHEELS
    • HEATED/COOLED FRONT/REAR SEAT
    • HTD/P-FOLD/MEM/A-DIM/APP.LIGHT
    • I/P VENTS
    • ICE NOISE REDUCTION-WHITEFIRE
    • INCONTROL APPS
    • IP CNTRST-EBNY/LONDON TAN
    • IP-LEATHER
    • IVORY HEADLINER
    • JET CONTRAST STITCHING
    • LUMBAR MASSAGE-ADJT BLSTR(DNU)
    • LUMBAR-4 WAY/MSSG/ADJ SEAT BOL
    • MARKETING LEVEL 1
    • MEDIA GATEWAY MODULE TYPE 2
    • PARK ASSIST WITH FLANK GUARD
    • PASS PWR FRE/AFT/HGHT/TILT/EXT
    • PASSENGER SEAT AWAY
    • R SPEC INTAGLIO
    • REAR SPOILER
    • SEATBELT- EBONY
    • SIDE DR TRDPLT-METAL
    • SIDE SILLS-STANDARD
    • SIDE VENTS - CHROME
    • SLOUCH REAR SEAT
    • SOS/ASSISTANCE CALL
    • SPARE WHL-REDUCED SECTN ALLOY
    • STARTER SYSTEM - STOP/START
    • STNG WHL - COLOR KEYED
    • SURROUND CAM SYS (DNU)
    • TCU MODULE - ROW
    • TV RECEIVER-DIGITAL
    • TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM
    • VIN CODE 9
    • XENON HEADLAMPS-NAS
    • XJ SALES BADGE
    • LESS DUAL VIEW SCREENS
    • LESS ELECTR SPEED LIMITATION
    • LESS HEADREST BADGE
    • LESS KIT-TIRE REPAIR SERVICE
    • LESS SVP

Think I'm going to try and get the full build sheet spec for the car, just out of curiosity...
    Jim

Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Congrats on the x351. A few years newer than mine but you should love it as much as I do mine. One really nice feature is the blind spot monitoring.
Works like a charm. It's taking me a while to learn all the tricks with mine because I don't drive it all that much.
Wishing you will "Enjoy the drive".

JimC64 (02-28-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

I had a little play with ASPC today and looks promising, still unsure how it will work out when in real need on snow / ice / mud etc though
Had another little play through n through, side window blinds were cool, that said looks to be an issue with the rear passenger window / blind so could be my first warranty claim.

I spent a few hours earlier and uploaded 5000 songs to a USB stick and tried it out, pretty cool as it picks up album covers as well!

Will have a wee run down to Ayr tomorrow as we have a night out at a hotel there, dinner, bed ad breakfast with sauna, Jacuzzi, massage the lot, looking forward to that
I actually forgot about it, but daughter reminded me today luckily enough lol

Cheers
Jim

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Welcome to the club Jim. She is a beauty - Santorini black is a lovely colour, and that interior too...

I know what you mean about the change from the X358, the experience is very different. Although I don't drive it as often now I still covert my "fake" X358 every time I walk past it to get into the X351 though. Glad to hear she went to a loving him; even better that you may get to see her occasinally too.

I can't believe you took her out in this weather today. You'll have to cancel your trip, park her in inside the house and spend a week cleaning her now.

What is your issue with the automatic window blinds? Stuck, or loose?
They tend to stick as they don't get used very often. If they won't come out of the door trims then flip the cover and gently pry with a blunt knife while holding the window button up to get it moving and cycle them a few times and they should be good for a while again. It's what your dealer will do in the first instance.
If loose (untensioned) on one edge then easiest to let your dealer sort them as it is a bit of a fap sorting it. Worth asking if you can watch though for when it happens out of warranty.

The blue vents can be retrofitted for a few hundred pounds used, but it is quite an involved process (lots of dismantling) so best left till the warranty expires if you decide to add them.

Other than that as you say there is not much you can add to that car that isn't already there. Some nice fluffy dice maybe?

JimC64 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
A lovely car to drive, but the waist line is a bit too high and the rear window might as well not be there for all you can see out of it !
My feelings exactly when I drove the X351. Hence I'm keeping my X350 for a while longer, even though a nice MY2012 X351 can be had today for a ridiculously low $20k's (price of a Honda CR-V!)

JimC64 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 AM

That's not a bad thing. I don't like paying more than I have to for cars. I debated on whether to get a Dodge Challenger R/T but the $30,000 pricetag for my 2012 and the recall on the alternator for the Challenger sealed the deal. The interior is much more plush with the Jag, although it does have too many gadgets. Well, maybe not too many, it's just a little overwhelming at first, trying to learn all the tricks of the car.

If the value hadn't dropped so much, I'd be driving a Challenger. Not that that would be a bad thing, The first new car I bought was a Dodge in 1985. I've got two '86 model cars, two '88 model cars, I'm thinking maybe an '85 XJS V-12 would complete my '80's collection. I could sell off the '95 Plymouth I've always disliked, never have been able to blow it up. Mostly I drive the 2011 and the 2012. I like my others too. One of the guy's at work said I was trying to hide because I drove a different car everyday.

JimC64 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

X Dave - Thanks for the kind comments mate, much appreciated. I love the Ultimate / Santorini Black and the London Tan leather is gorgeous in my eyes anyway, it's a love it or hate it interior I guess.

I believe there must be some issue with the rear passenger blind and the window, neither work from either driver's or rear passengers position, a job for warranty I suspect.

As for mods / upgrades? There's not much to do really, but here's a short list initially....
1. Personal plate added as soon as the DVLA do their thing
2. Bootlid spoiler
3. Wheels off and hubs/ calipers painted, the Red will go nicely imo
4. Front n rear dashcams are a must
5. Illuminated sill tread plates

The journey begins.....

Rhomanski - can't believe you guys with 2, 3, 4 or more cars!
I have enough trouble with one, you guys just have way too much money lol.

Jim

rhomanski (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 AM

What can I say Jim, I like cars. All kinds of cars. I usually pick cars I love. That never seems to fade. My favorites were all put out in the eighties. That is until after 2010, I like a few modern cars too.

They just give me such a feeling of freedom, to know you can jump in one and just go until you run out of country. Big motors are nice but the body and interior are just as important. I liked the '80's Chargers even though they only came with a 2.2l turbo, still a neat little car. I've had some slip through my fingers. I found a '77 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440 under the hood. Beautiful car, plush leather seats soft as butter. Great for cruising to California or wherever. My parents needed a car so I let them have it. Unfortunately my Brother drove it to get parts for his car when an inattentive driver rear ended it, totaling it out. I was hoping to get that one back but instead Mom got a '95 Plymouth minivan because my Dad had passed and she always wanted one. I've driven it quite a bit since Mom passed but I can't seem to kill it. Of course massive abuse would but I can't do that, even to a car I dislike. So I keep it around, feeding it gas and oil. With a few parts here and there.

JimC64 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
I had a little play with ASPC today and looks promising, still unsure how it will work out when in real need on snow / ice / mud etc though
winter tires are a must for snow / ice. the RWD X351's are really bad with all-seasons. I usually can get by with all-seasons on my RWD XJ's....but this particular model does not seem to do well, had to switch to winters. it got a little better when they introduced AWD

JimC64 (03-05-2018)

Quick Reply: My XJ X351 ownership thread...