Old 03-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Carz, good sound advice I know!

Jim

Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the V5 finally arrived today, so the new plates were put on to the car after doing a nice quick changeover courtesy of DVLA

It's a great system they have now, just such a shame there are still limitations that could be easily rectified to make things even easier all round

Then took her for basically what amounts to her first wash, she's been dirty for over a week and annoying the life out of me, but better now

I made a call to the local dealer, Taggarts in Glasgow and arranged to call in next Thursday

I should now be able to get the whole Jaguar Incontrol remote premium set up, discuss the extended warranty possibilities as well as get them to check my n/s/r window / blinds checked as they seem inoperative, first warranty issue and hopefully the last for a while.

Now sitting there, cleaned up and with my plate on her, she finally seems a little more like mine if that makes sense?

Jim

Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ross came down to se my tonight to check out the new ride and seemed pretty impressed, that's saying something as he's a big fan of the X308 and X350/X358 styling

Had a wee play around and a few blasts just for fun.

I also played for a while with the Perpendicular parking system ( seems that Parallel parking option wasn't chosen as far as I can see )

Anyhow I tried it out several times and got the hang of it, I have to say it's very disconcerting to push a button and let the car park ** no hands **

She managed it just fine and ended up bang on in the space no problems, albeit with a little back n forth. I have no problem parking whatsoever, that said she's a big girl and all the cameras come in handy.

The Perpendicular parking assist is a nice toy and one I may use now and again as a novelty, but in all likelihood I'll be parking up under my own steam as usual.

Jim

Old 03-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

The automatic parking is one step too far for me. They can put it on there but I'll not be using it. I used to program years ago, you can never cover every contingency. A computer will get in over it's head just like people do. An autopilot is fine because it's the only thing moving. The airport keeps everything away from the runway. I don't think I'll buy a car that drives itself.

Well, I should say an autopilot is fine if you know how it works. One set of pilots accidentally disengaged it and crashed. An Airbus crashed at the Paris airshow and the pilot said the autopilot landed in a grove of trees.

To each his own though, Jim. I just wonder where it stops people aren't taught like we were, because it's all on the internet. I'm not fond of people pulling out their phone and fact checking in the middle of a conversation.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

Totally agree Rhomanski

Like I said, it's a novelty, a feature and something to play with once in a while to put the fear of god into a passenger lol, but that's it.

Having covered many miles, around 1.5M over the last 25+ years I trust me, I know my car and my capabilities and get on with it.
That said this is a big car and visibility is poor especially to the rear, so the 360 degree cameras come in really handy.

+1 on the phone checking facts during mid convo either lol

Jim

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

visited Taggarts today, that was fun...

Car given the once over and outstanding campaigns for...
H007 - Service warning message not displayed
H043 - DEF quality warning

These have been dealt with, although not according to Topix ( may be slow to catch up, will check )

The issues with n/s/r window and blind being inop and drivers door soft close feature inop - Car booked in for later date to be dealt with as I didn't have time to wait.

The Incontrol remote premium was registered to me and old account removed, awaiting email link to now activate, not immediate and may take a few days they say.

Jim

Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Driver's door soft-close not working may be because there's a small grey plug in the boot fuse compartment that needs connecting. The 2014 I picked up recently had the same issue. A bit of research led me to that plug, which had probably never been plugged in. Apparently they come that way from the factory...something to do with transportation safety or rules or some nonsense. It's the dealer's responsibility to reconnect it.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ8JR:
JaxR. (09-23-2018), JimC64 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The drivers door soft close is from the factory not connected and is supposed to be connected as a part of the PDI procedure that the dealer is responsible for completing.

JimC64 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, going in and they can sort it along with the n/s/r window / blind issue soon enough.

I had word back rom Jaguar today and the Incontrol remote premium account a set up and car connected, all good.....

Some really cool features, fuel status and range at a glance, locking and unlocking car remotely and alarm status too, pretty nifty.

Beep n flash is good, but I've never lost a car yet lol.
The vehicle tracking section is awesome, really good to have.

The journeys section where it records mileages and dates etc is pretty good for those on business where these are important for claiming back expenses

But, the daddy of them all is the Remote climate function, set the climate too blisteringly hot or ice cold and leave her running for up to 30 mins before entering
Albeit it's just a toy and unlikely to be used too often it will of course kill the planet and I'll be a criminal if plod finds out......oh well

Jim

Old 04-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Oh joy of joys, found another potential issues unless anyone can confirm differently?

Using rear media and inserting a known copyrighted and original DVD

The message comes up "disc error, clean disc or check is correctly inserted"

This happened with several discs and then one disc for "The Pacific" worked A ok as did "Final destination"

Others tried did not work, disc loading was the original message followed by "disc error ...................."

It may be a laser issue or perhaps software at a guess, either way it's been highlighted to Jaguar to check when in with them in around 2 weeks time....

Other than that, all good

I was looking forward to my min tour of Scotland with my Italian counterpart over the next few days, with the snow now falling......now, not so much lol

Jim

Old 04-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

On a side note, called the dealer today for giggles, plus well, you never know, sometimes they do come through with pricing, albeit not very often.

I asked for prices for the mudflap kit & fixings, pedal kit, bootlid spoiler (primed only of course ) and also the illuminated tread plates
Below are for the LWB variant

1 off C2D 8498 KIT-MUDFLAP 110107 £46.58 total £46.58
8 off C2D 12682 CLIP CS0328 £1.93 Total £15.44
1 off C2D 8416 KIT-PEDAL CS1901 £90.76 Total £90.76
1 off C2D 8499 KIT-MUDFLAP L/BAY £46.58 Total £46.58
1 off C2D 22636XXX SPOILER-TRUN N/STK £147.08 Total £147.08
1 off C2D 22752 TREADPLATE N/STK £187.71 Total £187.71
1 off C2D 22753 TREADPLATE N/STK £187.71 Total £187.71
1 of C2D 22755 TREADPLATE N/STK £187.30 Total £187.30
1 off C2D 22757 TREADPLATE N/STK £187.30 Total £187.30

That little haul at dealership prices ( vat to be added ) makes it £1315.75

Add in the Aluminium gear shift paddles which I'm reliably informed can be £388.00 incl of vat and you're around £1703.75

I reckon with some canny buying the above can be had for around £1200 or thereabouts, still a hefty sum to be fair....

Ooops, forgot to add the duo dashcam by Nextbase or similar, that'll add another £250 to the pot, so the guts of £2k

Might just wait a wee while lol

Onwards n upwards.

Jim

Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Nothing is cheap anymore Jim, my Onkyo surround went out in the living room. I found a 7 channel Marantz pre-amp for $600, not the newest but still it has 1.4A HDMI, so it does 3D just not the 4K resolution which I don't care that much about. Bad eyes and all. The 7 channel amp though is $2400 and then since I'm finally going digital, that means new furniture to put the stereo on and a wall mount television. Sheesh!

JimC64 (04-03-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

I managed to give the car a quick going over late yesterday afternoon, so she "was" in pretty decent shape today, notice the "was".... I was out n about and the rain really came down, plenty of surface water on the roads etc so she's a mess all over again lol

On the subject of mpg and economy, see below some early findings both from the trip computer and manual workings.....with only a few miles and a few tanks run through still too early to really tell, but....

From a full tank, currently travelled some 516.1 miles
The trip says 39.3mpg
Miles remaining 81

If achieved this would offer a total of 597 miles which would be pretty good, all things considered. In my opinion though with some stop / start this 597.1 miles will actually be more like 570 miles

To further break this down, the bulk of those miles, probably some 75% were easy going motorway ( average speed camera ) miles at around 60-70mph. There was also some full blooded quick overtakes, some stop / start around town, some hill climbing / descents and some full on race mode miles
She has a 77 litre tank ( just under 17 UK gallons, actually 16.937 )

Assuming the 597.1 miles were achieved this would be 35.12mpg, more likely to be 570 there or thereabouts imo which equals 33.52mpg so not far off where you say to be fair Theboy.

My X358 returned overall approx 32mpg combines over the lifetime, the bulk of these miles were daily stop / start with some huge motorway mileages thrown into the mix. I saw anywhere from 450 - 500 miles from an 85 litre ( 18.7 UK gallons ) tank around town, and 600 - 700 ( 716 my best achieved on a long careful run )

It's winter, coming into spring and temps are way down affecting mpg as the car warms up, all systems such as heated seats / steering wheel etc being used. It'll be interesting to see what the changes are as the temps warm up and mpg increases a little.....

I'm on the case and will offer up my findings as time goes by on this.

On another note, the Faraday pouches arrived today, not much to look at and so tested as per Jimbo's advice.
I approached the locked car, key in pocket and tried the handle, she opened up at my request nice n quickly, no issues.

I then re locked the car and popped the keys into the pouch, holding it only perhaps a foot away from the door lock and tried again....No joy, she did not open, so they did their job. I bought two pouches, one for my spare key to be kept in the house for safe keeping and one for my everyday use key, should be all good hopefully...

Jim

Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Can't believe it's been almost 2 months and this is the first pics of the car from me in my ownership

What with the weather and one thing and another I just haven't had the time. Today I managed a quick hour to clean inside n out ( so not the best finish, but good enough for now )
See below....

Coming to the end of the house improvements so still haven't much time, but that said....

I was out for an hour or two to do a wee chauffeuring job for a friend of mine today, hence the quick clean on the car.

Hoping to do more and get better quality pics in a better location with perhaps a few mods soon once the weather gets better

Jim

Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Well that's the XJ dropped off for warranty work this morning, so we'll see how that goes?

Just as well I checked with them to go through the relevant work, not everyone does this I'm sure, just drop it off and be gone, leave them to it..

I went through the issues to make sure they were clear what was to be done, just as well I did...

Someone had stapled some other work to be done, a door handle to be changed??
No, not for me I said, oh yes, that's an error....

Instills you with confidence right there!

I asked them to check as follows

There were 2 outstanding campaigns for this vehicle as below...
H007 - Service warning message not displayed
H043 - DEF quality warning

The car was taken into them on 15.03.18 ( a little over 4 weeks ago ) and the work was carried out I'm told. However, that said the Topix site is still showing as them being outstanding for this vehicle, so please check and advise! I'd expect after 4 weeks that the system would update!!

Other items to check are.....
1.Rear passenger side window and sunblind inop, from both rear door and drivers door switches
2.Drivers door “soft close” feature inop
3.Rear media screens. Playing an original quality DVD and once inserted comes up disc loading, then after a short while
“Disc error, clean CD or check is inserted correctly”

In the meantime I have an XE 2.0D R Sport
It's a nice car to be fair, but perhaps a little small for my large frame, with my drivers seat right back there is zero leg room

Other than that she goes well enough, although the low fuel warning is on lol, no surprise there!

I did the usual walk round to check as I dropped off and all was well, will do the same on collection. Annoyingly I didn't take ay date stamped pics as I usually do, so here's hoping there's no scuffs / scratches etc

I'll update as and when....

Jim

Old 04-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Well got to around 3pm and the day is ticking away, so called and asked for an update.....

Oh Mr C your car is "just" ready now means it's been ready sitting there for an hour or two lol.

As it was getting close to end of play AND bearing in mind Glasgow's terrible rush hour, hence the call, advised all A ok and ready to collect so off I popped

Having a chat with Lauren the service advisor going through the issues and where we were with them, when she said.....The car is all ready and just going to get washed and then....

NO......Please DON'T wash the car lol, so away she went to get that sorted / stopped

The issues as reported and status afterwards are....

1.Checked customer complaint of NSR door window and blind not working. Had to carry out a hard wire to the blind which has also stopped the NSR door window, Tested all A ok
2.Checked customer complaint of OSF door soft close function not working. Traced this to not having been set up correctly at PDI, Tested all A ok
3.Checked customer complaint of DVD's cutting out after different periods of time. Sometimes it will play ok and then you try again and it's not working. Traced to short circuit, carried out repair and tested all A ok.

Notes - If any further issues with the DVD, we would require to strip the interior to view the long wiring and this may need to then be replaced. Customer would be required to leave the car Monday to Friday

In the event that issues do return, please check and advise following

1. How long was the duration of play?
2.Leave discs in car which have failed
3.Do DVD's that fail play on front screen?
4.Does fault happen when driving or stationary?

Okedokee then, lets hope that its all A ok as I don't particularly want the whole interior stripped out.....we'll soon see I guess.

Jim

Old 04-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Well I had a few hours spare today before getting back to the decorating lol. We are getting there, slowly but surely, just so much going on one way or another.

Washed the Jag and cleaned thoroughly inside n out, tyres blacked, inside cleaned and engine bay given the once over too. It's far from the finished article ( are they really ever finished? )

The time spent and above only serve to highlight the light swirl marks on the car, after 2 years of the previous owner, that need attention.
They're not really bad, but they are present!

My hope is that before the forum meet I have some time to break out the Meguiars Ultimate compound and get 'er done, followed by an application of Poorboys Blackhole and some Chemical guys BLACK wax to finish.....at least that's the plan!

I'd like to have the wheels off and calipers painted red, hubs redone stock silver too if possible, although they're not in terrible shape, we'll see I guess.

Then found myself at Halfords topping up my supply of tyre dressing, whilst there I checked out the dashcams.

I was really happy with my Nextbase dashcams and there's a nice duo system out to cover both front n rear which I may go for, either that or spring and extra £100 or so and go down the route of Blackvue system which is awesome and quite discrete too.

I want new tyres, although they're not desperate by any means, mud flaps all round, bootlid spoiler and illuminated treadplates all round and in the boot.
These are wants though, not needs so may have to wait, either that or I'll have them next month lol

Jim

Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I like my Blackvue 650-2ch system and it is almost invisible. Also, I have my Valentine1 up there. My installer of the Blackvue is very conservative and one wire goes to the main battery and the secondary goes the a cigarette lighter at the rear of the center console. I also purchased the Power Magic Pro and polarizing filter. The system is great and the only SD cards that work are either Blackvue or Lexar 128GB High-Performance UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card.

Attached Thumbnails My XJ X351 ownership thread...-img_0111.jpg   My XJ X351 ownership thread...-img_0112-002-.jpg   My XJ X351 ownership thread...-img_0113.jpg   My XJ X351 ownership thread...-img_0129.jpg  

Last edited by XJsss; 04-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.
JimC64 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Mpg and economy to date......

This is one of those "run through" tanks with little care / thought given to driving styles / mpg etc. It's been a good mix of mostly stop / start town driving, with some spirited stuff thrown in and a few motorway miles, see below.....

I refuelled and the diesel costs were £1.229 per litre and she took 70.46 litres total cost of £86.60
The display showed 493.8 miles travelled with 3o remaining

Car trip says 33.6mpg which, if anywhere near accurate isn't too bad at all, at least in my opinion

Filling in details to Fuelly app and it came back as 31.9 mpg for miles travelled

Manual calculations based on the above info came back at 31.86 mpg, so very close to Fuelly app figures and around 5.5% differential between that and Jaguar trip, which isn't too bad for accuracy imo

I'll keep an eye on it for fun as I run through another few tanks and am also interested to see what's achievable on a long careful run at some point.

Jim

Old 04-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

The XJ diesel (X351), I had as a courtesy car earlier this year was showing 33 mpg over the four days I had the car. This was a car with only 32 miles on the clock when I drove it away, so one could expect some improvement as the miles build up, I think.

JimC64 (04-29-2018)

Quick Reply: My XJ X351 ownership thread...