XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
I thought "why is he taking a picture of a coolant spill? Oh no!
Oh. I see."

Show off.

The following 3 users liked this post by christ:
JimC64 (05-01-2018), mrlovt (05-25-2019), Panthro (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ordered these yesterday as mine were missing, comes with a spare remote too which I don't necessarily need, but a spare is never a bad idea

Jim

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM

Where do you store them in the car?

Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
Where do you store them in the car?
the rear center arm rest has a storage pocket

The following users liked this post:
christ (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
the rear center arm rest has a storage pocket
That's brilliant - it sounds like it might almost have been planned!

On my car that is a sweetie store (6-year-old is a near permanent resident in the back), so maybe it should be repurposed, the headphones really don't fit very well in the door pockets (mine is only an SWB, after all)

Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

STILL waiting on these headphones to arrive!!

Have been in touch with the seller, if they're not herE by Friday it'll be a Paypal resolution job.

Jim

Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 AM

Oh dear. Good luck.

JimC64 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

had a wee run out today, nothing major but a few motorway miles combined with some fast driving and hill climbs, so a good chance to check out the mpg a little further.
There seems to be those that can "easily" ( not sure about that! ) achieve 50+ mpg and those that are getting mid - high 20's into the low 30's?

Set off nice n early so little traffic and a fresh fill up saw me edging towards the motorway getting around 30mpg. A little while later and some 60 miles or so of motorway driving at 70mph and some enforced 50mph saw me achieve 48.0mpg then came the hills in the form of the Cairn O' Mount, some real hill climbing and into Banchory saw it drop to around 44.2mpg

On the return more hill climbing coupled with a little faster driving saw it drop on arriving home to 41.9mpg
Miles travelled were 255.1
Miles remaining were 326

Saw this lovely example of an XKR-S on the way home and got home a little faster than the beginning of the day
Registration was M600 EFC and had an Everton badge on the plate too, wondering if they had some affiliation with the club or just a well to do fan?

Sun was shining most of the way, all in all a good day!

I received the wireless headphones just today, they were sent on the 1st by the vendor, so much for UPS eh?

Anyhow, they arrived and are new in all the packaging etc complete with batteries and spare remote. I paired them to the car and tested them out, really good and I'm sure the rear passengers on any long journey will enjoy them. I must remember to keep a stock of suitable dvd's in the car, I'm thinking "Final destination" and "Fast & Furious" etc lol

Jim

Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I see that's a British number plate so presumably you're in the UK (and the Everton reference too). Don't forget that UK gallons are quite a lot bigger than US gallons. So your 41.9 average mpg in UK would be 34.9mpg for a US driver

That's part of the reason why everyone thinks US cars have such poor fuel economy - you can't compare mpg like for like. That may also explain your other comment that some people hit 50mpg while others struggle in the 30s

JimC64 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Had another wee trip today, less concerned about mpg, just needed to get things done.

Left just after 6am into Glasgow office and collected a part then of to just north of Perth, beautiful day for a wee run. I spent some time with the customer then back homewards and nipped into my local tyre place for a quick check, although I already had an idea.

Fronts are around 3mm although the n/s/f has edge wear and will need replacing sooner rather than later.
The rear o/s is ok at around a little more than 4mm and the rear n/s is around 7mm

New tyres it is I think for me, I'll scrap the n/s/f and sell the other 3, likely to get around £100 I reckon and go for 4 new tyres all round, probably Kumho Ecsta PS71 which are A rated for wet grip, C for fuel efficiency and 72db for noise
Full set supplied and fitted £583.00 less what I get back for old tyres will mean around £483.00 for the set, not bad for this size of new rubber!

Then called to Mackies Transmissions and had a wee chat with John, the MD and owner, caught up for a wee while.
Dropped a bottle for him and the other John as a small thank you for their help, collected various keyrings, leaflets etc etc as well as the official voucher for the transmission service.

Just as an aside, and for those of you who don't know......

I know I rattle on about how good they are, ZF partner and all that, doing a great job for a good price etc, but....

Did you know, that if you buy a torque convertor for your Jaguar, Land Rover etc etc, they are all from Mackies Transmissions?
Mackies supply to ZF, who then sell on to Jaguar / Land Rover etc and so there are several mark ups, check out Mackies direct if you're ever in that situation!!

Need to start checking my insurance shortly, up around 24th May so that'll be the next thing, currently receiving quotes for around the £440 mark, which isn't bad for such a big car etc. That said that's with 13 yrs NCB and no accidents / losses etc so makes you wonder.

Onwards n upwards

Jim

Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Had a wee trip to do over a couple of days, I left at 4am from Glasgow after a colleague arrived and headed south with a full tank and trip reset.

I took it easy on the motorway, cruising at around 70mph-75mph and traffic free until around junction 21 M6 when it snarled up a little, got through and southwards to Ottery St Mary in Devon and an appointment there in beautiful sunshine for a few hours. Then it was onward to Aldershot for the night and a meal and a few well deserved shandies.

I travelled 580.8 miles and the trip said 46.1mpg settling at 43.8mpg for the complete trip, there was 100.5 left according to the display
Then refuelled with 62.06 litres at £1.289 per litre
Checking with Fuelly this shows 42.5mpg so not far off, considering traffic hold ups etc etc all in, not too bad

The return today was a couple of miles in and around Aldershot then North and homewards bound, the best mpg I saw was 45.1mpg and then major snarl ups around junction 20 M6 again and she dropped like a stone. This wasn't helped later as I buried the loud pedal to make up some time....

It's currently showing 40.9mpg with 424 miles travelled and 224 miles left remaining in the tank. I don't expect to fully achieve those supposed miles remaining though and would guess it'll be around 40mpg for the tank, time will tell.

Jim

Old 05-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
I travelled 580.8 miles and the trip said 46.1mpg settling at 43.8mpg for the complete trip, there was 100.5 left according to the display
Then refuelled with 62.06 litres at £1.289 per litre
Checking with Fuelly this shows 42.5mpg so not far off, considering traffic hold ups etc etc all in, not too bad

The return today was a couple of miles in and around Aldershot then North and homewards bound, the best mpg I saw was 45.1mpg and then major snarl ups around junction 20 M6 again and she dropped like a stone.
If only these were U.S. mpg's!!

JimC64 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the new tyres fitted to the car...

I went with Kumho Ecsta PS71 which are A rated for wet grip, C for fuel efficiency and 72db for noise, not a bad looking tyre either.
Here they are on the car.....

245/40/20 on the fronts and 275/35/20 on the rears

There is rim protection there, although another few mm would be nice, but hey ho

Insurance was sorted out today as well, went with SAGA this time.
My current insurer Admiral wanted around, are you sitting down?......Around (£776.00) to reinsure and that wasn't going to happen!

I tried Privilege who we have existing insurance with for the X type and they wanted, wait for it, even with loyalty discount etc ( £948.00 )
I gave them a chance and we whittled it down and down to £657.00 but that was a no no

In the end SAGA won out from one of the comparison websites and I'm reinsured for the coming year for £558.00 with a £150.00 excess which isn't too bad.

Needless to say it's been an expensive few days lol

Jim

Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Well sacked work around 12.30 and decided to get the calipers and hubs done, running outta time hence needing to steal a wee bit here n there.....

The hubs weren't too bad, but the wheels were off and so did them anyway, colour of choice as usual was Hammerite smooth silver for a clean stock look.

The calipers were actually quite clean / tidy but wanted to get this done and so battered on as they say. The choice was Ferrari red high gloss and I gave them 2 coats

In between coats the wheels were cleaned thoroughly inside n out and then tyres blacked once back on the car, using Wet n Black applied with a sponge.

See front before......

front after

rear before...

rear after...

Around 6 hours in total and glad its done now.
That said the X type needs done too, but I'm not feeling it'll get done we'll see...

Cheers
Jim

Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well another stunning day here in Scotland, but yet still so much to do....

Forum stuff today, getting the name / bag badges and labels sorted in readiness for the "welcome packs" getting sorted, amongst other things

I'll give the car a wash later in the afternoon and get some blue wkd's from Tesco probably, along with a pack of ice for the cool bag. I'm picking up my daughter and SIL around 6.30 and chauffeuring them to a wedding some 45 mins away, a few cold ones en route will go down nice I'm sure

The back home and I'll be watching Lilly ( my granddaughter for the evening )

She's a wee cracker and really switched on for her 4 and a half years ( been here before I swear )

I have to go and pick them up later in the evening, so Lilly will have to come with me, this means a CAR SEAT which I'm not overly happy about
That said I have a large blanket to put down to protect it, so I'm sure I can live with it just this once.

I've got a few Disney dvd's so she'll sit there and no doubt watch away quite happily on the journey, no sticky fingers or seat kicking here, that doesn't fly in my car.

Sunday may be X type day for the calipers, we'll see how that goes on the day.

I have to go to Fort William on Tuesday and with other commitments looks like the paintwork won't be getting any attention, so will have to go as is I'm afraid

Well that was a night and a half....they owe me big time lol

It turns out that the location was some 45 mins away to be dropped off, return home and then collect around 12.30am to return home again!!
Really pushing their luck.

That said it was a beautiful drive into the countryside near Drymen , I got to spend 4 or 5 hours with Lilly who cooried up to me on the couch and fell asleep, me too shortly after missing the "come to collect us please when you're ready" text at 11.47pm lol

Left to collect them with Lilly sitting in the rear happily watching Moana with her headphones on, so she was happy

On the way back Billy commented on the AHBA ( Automatic High Beam Assist ) A really cool feature alongside adaptive lighting too, works well too especially in the countryside with little traffic.

Alls well that ends well, now time for bed ZZzzzzz

Note - Just realised I've put 6k miles on her in a little over 3 months

Jim

Old 05-27-2018, 03:41 PM

Is that how you dispose of all of your old tyres?

JimC64 (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by christ
Is that how you dispose of all of your old tyres?

Took me a minute Chris lol

No mate!

Jim

christ (05-28-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

I had cause to ring Taggarts of Glasgow today re the ever growing list of issues to discuss with them.

The car for initial problems was booked in around the beginning of March for a couple of campaigns that needed done and the N/S/R window and blind inoperative, they booked me in for 15th march 2018.
I was rescheduled for 19.03.2018 and the work was carried out. I was "given" an XE as a courtesy car although I was asked to pay £18 towards the cost of insurance per day, hmm ok.
A short while later I advised of further issues as below.....

1. The O/S/R window and blind are inop ( The N/S/R was only fixed a month ago )
2. Songs on USB stick sometimes skip / jump a little here n there
3. The screen sometimes takes 20-30- secs or longer to load, has on occasion (twice now ) stayed blank / back and had to restart off / on
4. Rattles over rough / uneven ground, sounds like sunroof issues, needs checking and resolved

A little while ago, if you check records there was a issue playing dvd’s and a short circuit fix was done I believe?
It was mentioned that further issues may result in much more indepth work may result to replace loom etc.
Yesterday I had a warning triangle and the message “SOS system not available”

The car is booked in with them for a "waiting appointment" on the 5th June 2018, some 3 weeks plus down the line, which seems a long time imo.

The call today meant waiting for 11 minutes in a queue to be dealt with, went over the lists of issues and asked if , due to work commitments we could rearrange for Friday 8th June. This was met with the following.....

The car is now booked in for 19th June / 20th June as a "waiting appointment, no courtesy car, this is 3 weeks down the line
Should I require a courtesy car, the appointment will be 18th July 2018, some SEVEN WEEKS further down the line, which I find unacceptable, and said so.
The issue I have is that there is almost 2 months of warranty gone / disappeared in that timescale and not very Jaguar like imo, so this was escalated to the Jaguar CRC dept and a reference was given, for the case to be dealt with.
My gripe is the extremely long lead times whilst the warranty on the car simply disappears AND then being asked to pay for a courtesy car while the car is in for remedial work to be carried out to fix issues that shouldn't be there in the first place on a car at 2 and a half years old with 22k miles on the clock.

I expressed to Jaguar CRC that their dept was viewed with less than favourable results in the main ( albeit a few have had good results ) and wanted to see what their thoughts were and what they could do to help resolve them.

Time will tell....I will of course update as and when

Jim

Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I think they should extend your warranty for the same amount of time that you had to wait for repairs.

JimC64 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Sorry to hear the issues are still ongoing Jim. Yes they may be minor, but annoyances build up and over time they can really sour your enjoyment of a car.

Push the CRC and selling dealer for an extension (as a contribution towards their resold extended warranty, the dealer would pay).

The situation with the courtesy car is very bad service from your dealer. For warranty work you should not be charged anything for taking a courtesy car, and good dealers won't charge you for any courtesy car use for servicing or an MOT either. Mine doesn't charge anything additional (Matfords, Exeter). I have walked away from HA Fox (now Inchcape Jaguar) when they refused to absorb a £10 insurance fee and only offered Toyota Aygos as loan cars while servicing.

Seven weeks for a courtesy car to be available is absurd. Unless they only sell one car at a time they will have a forecourt full of cars they could loan out. Matfords provide XEs or XFs as standard, and often come with the price sticker in the boot/trunk so they have clearly come straight from their own stock.

Quick Reply: My XJ X351 ownership thread...