XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Are there no other dealerships you can go to in the area? It has also been my experience that Jaguar's service falls FAR short of what you would expect from the brand. Really a pity too I suspect it drives away plenty of customers but perhaps that is what they want. Exclusivity through alienation.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
Are there no other dealerships you can go to in the area? It has also been my experience that Jaguar's service falls FAR short of what you would expect from the brand. Really a pity too I suspect it drives away plenty of customers but perhaps that is what they want. Exclusivity through alienation.

Thanks JagGate......actually literally checking that as you posted.

I have contacted Pentland who are in Stirling to see what they offer and await details!

Jim

Old 05-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Well color me lucky as my dealer is everything and more than I expect from a Jaguar Land Rover dealer. As a matter of fact all three Atlanta dealers are highly competent and service oriented. My dealer has one of the top awarded service advisers in in the country and outstanding techs. I have never had to return a car for a second time for a bad repair, accept when they changed the sticky buttons and the shop foreman over thought it and ordered in new sticky buttons. No problem they got it right the second time. Always a Jaguar loaner, no questions asked.

JimC64 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Jim,

The car looks superb but you know how fastidious I am about brake caliper painting.

My XJ X351 ownership thread...-jim.jpg

The caliper retaining springs really should be polished and not painted.

Graham

JimC64 (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Jim,

The car looks superb but you know how fastidious I am about brake caliper painting.

Attachment 215470

The caliper retaining springs really should be polished and not painted.

Graham

Well done Graham, you spotted the deliberate mistake

As I may have said once or twice before, far from perfect but perfect from afar lol

Jim

GGG (05-31-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the car at Crieff, Sunday June 3rd, not looking her best I'm afraid. We had a little rain in the early morning which settled by mid / late morning in Crieff

Unfortunately didn't get the time to clean her as I was too busy with sorting out the event, so she stayed as was...
It was criminal really to see everyone else out with their detailing bits n bobs, titivating this or fettling that and not be able to do mine.....I swear a form of mental torture.

Day went really well and won the end of day cash prize.

Jim

Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Beautiful sunshine today, just the time to be checking out swirls on the paintwork ( this was both the XJ and the X type )

The X type is far worse, she leads a hard life with Mrs C I'm afraid. She still shines up well, but the swirls are rampant and badly need attention
This was evidenced by marking off a small section on the bootlid about 2 foot square and a quick test of Megs Ultimate Compound followed by PB Blackhole, the difference?

NIGHT and day
When will I get the chance to sort this, have no clue but needs to be soon
I'm guessing at least a full day 10 hours or more minimum for wash / claybar and then DA polish the car to remove defects, top with PB Blackhole and finish with Chemical guys BLACK wax

Who am I kidding, it's probably a full weekend job to be honest.

The XJ isn't quite so bad to be fair, but swirls abide everywhere, should be a little quicker at least following the same processes

Definitely won't be this weekend as the run to the waterfall edges ever closer

More bad news too, although not the end of the world, really starting to grate on my nerves....

The wheels have lacquer peeling here n there, nothing major, but then that's how it starts, and shouldn't on a car of this age. The alloys are otherwise in generally unmarked condition so surprising....

Called Pentland and emailed them pics etc, added to the list to be looked at.

Jim

Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default scheduled routine maintenance

My 2015 xj was purchase used and did not come with the “passport to service” documentation which outline scheduled maintenance. I have searched forum and can’t find it. Anybody have a link or pdf to share? thanks, I appreciate it

Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hey there, are you talking about the service sheets or the online service tool?

The service sheets can be found here....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sheets-193397/

If you want to check the online service tool, simply google Jaguar online service history and find what you need there
Hope it helps

Jim

waggybeast (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Well guys, prepare to be horrified, this is how good my paintwork is ( isn't )

The swirl marks are plentiful on the car, a little over 2 years of the previous owners washes etc have left it a little grainy looking.

I spent a short while this morning and taped off a 50/50 section of the bootlid and did a quick test with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, then followed by Poorboys Blackhole, just to see what it would come up like.
It was a very quick job done by hand ( I won't use the abbreviated version lol ) to what results could be achieved and came up fairly well.

I'll break out the DA and try some Autofinesse #2 Polish followed by Autofinesse #3 Refine to hopefully see even better results.

Assuming all goes according to plan, once that step is finished, I'll add a coat of Poorboys Blackhole which should really make it pop and then top off with Chemical guys BLACK wax, specifically designed to bring out the best in black cars, should be much better.

In the meantime I'll be driving around with a stripey bootlid lol

The paintwork is a little gritty, nothing too bad, but I'm off out to de tar the entire car, this followed by a clay barring session, wash and then dry.

I am doing a little chauffeuring later in the early evening, then topping off with a full tank of fuel for an early doors start to head to Lutterworth, Leicester with a few other stops along the way and then home.

Saturday will be getting prepared for the Glencoe run on the Sunday ( can't wait!! ) and then into Pentland Jaguar on the Monday, so unsure when I'll get back onto the detailing, but soonest..

Jim

Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not sure that I could ever use Poorboys Blackhole.

Really.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

wow that looks great! did you do this by hand or using an orbital polisher?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Car de tarred and clay barred too, then washed and dried, tyres blacked etc

Here's the clay bar from a portion of the lowers, not actually that bad at all as it turns out

Onwards n upwards to machine polishing and refining at some point soon

Peter shows up with the Insignia, wants to do hubs n calipers, so a little assist there too
All going on today.....
Jim

Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Did a wee bit of chauffering earlier this evening, went really well ad loads of compliments and ooohs / ahhhs on the car, all good fun.
Hoping to get my head down for a couple of hours, then leave around 1am or so and heading south to Lutterworth and Leicester, then a run home....A long day and a few miles.

The family run to Glencoe falls on Sunday ( can't wait )
Into Pentland Jaguar Monday morning to get the car assessed for warranty issues. On that note had a wee courtesy call from Jaguar CRC today to say they've been in touch with the dealers etc and will call me back tomorrow.
Have a night in Glasgow coming up too for a show, need to check but know its soon. I'll be heading off to Buxton for the bi annual show held there for 3-4 days late June

Then the forum run / met event in July on the 22nd, a wedding and some other stuff in August, then maybe a wee cheeky week in Portugal in September for Mrs C's birthday
Don't really know where I'll find the time in between all of the above AND more decorating, but we'll manage.

Lastly ordered the genuine set of mud flaps for the car today and should have them fitted next Thursday
It's all going on....

Jim

Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

The car was dropped at Pentland Jaguar in Stirling this morning, reasonably clean after yesterdays little adventure

I had a chat with the service receptionists and made myself known to them, going through the issues that the car is in for and that need looked at.

I've also had a follow up call from the Jaguar CRC team this morning on these issues, and advised we'll catch up later in the day once the retailer has had a chance to check out the vehicle.

Unsure at the moment exactly what, if anything the CRC team will be able to do ( time will tell on that ) but so far, that said, contact and follow up communication can't be faulted

Issues to be looked at / checked.....

1. The O/S/R window and blind are inop
2. Music on USB stick ometimes skip / jump a little here n there
3. The screen sometimes takes 20-30 secs or longer to load, has on occasion ( twice now ) stayed blank and had to restart off / on
4. Rattles over rough / uneven ground, sounds like sunroof issues, needs checking and resolved
5. Warning message displayed "SOS system unavailable"
6. Alloy wheels show lacquer peeling in places, on every wheel, generally in good condition, more or less unmarked otherwise

Waiting to hear......

Jim

Old 06-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Update of sorts......

I received no call as it turned out from CRC today, that being said I guess there was little to tell to be honest. Having not heard back from the dealer I rang around 4.30pm as i was concerned about travelling time to get there due to rush hour traffic and they close at 6pm.

I called and was advised that they had made progress and that the car would "likely" be ready around 5.15pm and so I headed in.

I caught up with the service advisor as I arrived and she looked flustered, it seems that the car was not ready and she was literally just back and about to contact me as I rolled in, so we went through the issues...

The brief chat seemed to show that the window and blind inop (#1) had been resolved

Note - I had also called to ask them to check for Global open / global close feature as this didn't seem to be working on my car either. Unsure if it actually has that feature but would be surprised to hear otherwise!

She proceeded to tell me that the software had to be updated and there was an issue with the update as far as I could ascertain. It hadn't went smoothly and the car would not start!
Looks like there's a hard reset being done and a software update as well, that may resolve some of these issues.

The skipping music, the screen issues and perhaps the Sos system unavailable may all be related. It's possible that the DVD playing issues suffered previously and not 100% corrected may also all be part of this scenario.

They're aware of the wheels and looking into it and hope to have more info on all of the above tomorrow, will report back

Hoping to have the car back tomorrow as I have a funeral Wednesday, old Mrs C ( my aunt's 93 yr old MIL died within days of being admitted to hospital )

Jim

Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

As I've seen my tech doing updates, they are usually for specific systems, but in your case it may have been for multiple systems that required updates. Hope all goes well.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Just had a brief chat with the Jaguar dealer as they called to update me on progress.....

Story so far.....

Seems like the window and blind issues are resolved.
Bearing in mind this was a chat with the service advisor and NOT the service tech on the car, but seems like they're confident that the issues with dvd's from a little while ago, songs skipping here n there etc have been resolved with software updates to the car, time will tell of course.

The SOS system has been causing problems and a warning came up some time ago on this, having checked further it needs a new telematics unit which is now on order. This is what has been causing re start issues with the vehicle whilst in their care.

The tech has said ( via the advisor ) that they're had a run out in the vehicle and have heard noises etc and mentioned about dropping the headliner to check further, but clearly an issue and one that needs further investigation.

The wheels have been checked and so far, the consensus seems to be that they need either refurbished or replaced with new, hope to find more on that later.

In the meantime and as I wasn't expecting the car to be with them for so long, I've asked for a replacement vehicle. Obviously at short notice this may not be possible but you have to ask or you definitely won't get, awaiting a call back on that one.

Fair play so far, can't really fault them to be honest, pleasant and very communicative and these delays do happen.
I just want the issues resolved and to be able to move forward

Reasonably happy as it stands and just waiting further feedback
Thanks
Jim

Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Nice wee courtesy car / SUV
Land Rover Discovery Sport with only 4126 miles on it, thanks very much

Looks like the car may be in for another day or so whilst the telematics is sources and fitted, the sunroof may get attention in that time too.

Still not confirmed 100% but looks like either refurbished or new alloys too.

Have to say so far, I'd have to be really picky to fault both Pentland Jaguar at Stirling and the CRC team who have been in constant contact with both myself and the dealer to get these issues resolved satisfactorily

For the next day or so at least, I am now leaving you all and becoming Land Rover man..

Jim

Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the low down today after collecting the car....

Sunroof - not fixed, re booked for 25th June. They'll have the car for that week to get it done at the bodyshop. There will be a courtesy car provided
NOTE - Make note of the latest TSB for this allegedly JTB00368V2

Window blind and window inop - resolved

USB Music etc skipping, audio errors recorded and infotainment software update carried out....All A ok, driver to check and advise.

Sos unavailable - New Telematics module fitted ( cost around £700+ allegedly ) and further software updates carried out. SOS button still not illuminating, re booekd for 25.06.18 along with sunroof.

Driver reporting media screen blank / takes long to load. Confirmed issue present prior to software download - rechecked after download and found all A ok

Alloy wheels lacquer peeling - found what looks to be previous refurbishment, warranty declined. I believe this may actually be the case, that said I'll be checking further and taking a 2nd opinion.
See sheets attached

Jim

Quick Reply: My XJ X351 ownership thread...