Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   No voice command for navigation? Are you kidding me? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/no-voice-command-navigation-you-kidding-me-172719/)

msp843 11-20-2016 04:23 PM

No voice command for navigation? Are you kidding me?

Love my '16 XJ but just realized you can't enter a navigation destination by voice command- how can that be? My pick up truck has that option! Any known secrets?

Enosgl 11-30-2016 09:41 AM

Funny, I saw it as an option in my 2012 XJ, but had never used it. Funnier yet was that it told me that it is "not available in the current language", which is English(UK). I will have to change it to English (US) and see if that works.

carzaddict 11-30-2016 09:45 AM

that doesnt make sense. say "help" and see what options are available

msp843 11-30-2016 08:10 PM

I tried that, no go. Any known software updates?

Enosgl 12-04-2016 08:21 PM

Dumb question, but you are trying to do it through the steering wheel's voice command, right? When you press the voice command button, (below the phone buttons on the left side of the steering wheel), you get a list of words that are functions, such as "phone", "entertainment", "navigation" and others. All I do (2012 XJ Supercharged) is press the button, then SPEAK "Navigation" . . ."Destination" . . ."Go To" . . . "Address", then it prompts you for "State", "City" "Address", etc. Can't imagine that they would have ELIMINATED it, but it is really pretty straight forward.

msp843 12-05-2016 04:08 PM

Tried that too, she says "sorry , I didn't get that". When I say "navigation" again she says "command not available". Crazy!

Enosgl 12-06-2016 07:55 AM

It is a 2016, it is under warranty, right? It definitely SHOULD work, as I described. In browsing all of the menus, there is a "voice command training" function in which you read various words and sentences.

37driver 12-06-2016 01:04 PM

I was told by the dealer that the 2016's had the navigation voice function disabled for some technical reason and they didn't know if it would be addressed with a software update. Only applies to navigation and MY 2016 as far as I know.

xdave 12-06-2016 01:18 PM

If you press the voice command button on the steering wheel then can you see Navigation on the instrument panel menu? If not then it has been disabled in the CCF. I know some regions do not equip with the built in navigation as standard (some Asian, and maybe Swiss cars) but AFAIK all US cars should have it as standard.

Unless your 2016 does not have the IAM-based infotainment system and uses the new Ethernet-based one? That may have different base specs.

carzaddict 12-06-2016 01:35 PM

actually now that i remember, voice function for navigation WAS available. it was painfully slow, but i used it

Hailers 12-23-2018 11:33 AM

On a 2017 there is NO voice command for Navigation. None at all. Very disappointing for a big buck car. Bought it anyway and it still pisses me off. I bet if there was still a Yugo, it would have had voice command for Navigation.

Yes, I know this is an ancient thread.......just like the 2017 XJL's navigation system. No, nobody forced me to buy it like this. I did it all on my own.

Gpfarrell 12-25-2018 07:29 PM

I buy cars to drive. All the technical stuff is a distraction from a fantastic suspension, stop-the-earth brakes, and dazzling acceleration. As long as I can have that I’ll settle for a broken AM radio.

MV Rider 12-26-2018 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gpfarrell (Post 2005355)
I buy cars to drive. All the technical stuff is a distraction from a fantastic suspension, stop-the-earth brakes, and dazzling acceleration. As long as I can have that I’ll settle for a broken AM radio.

Totally agree with you. I am just an old, obsolete fart but I don't want a portable video arcade game. i want a great driving car.

Stuart S 12-26-2018 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=Hailers;2004475]On a 2017 there is NO voice command for Navigation. None at all. Very disappointing for a big buck car. Bought it anyway and it still pisses me off. I bet if there was still a Yugo, it would have had voice command for Navigation. ... /QUOTE]

What's the point of Yugo voice navigation? Even if it actually worked, you wouldn't have gotten to your destination because something else would break down.

IMHO, free cellphone voice navigation apps like Waze with real-time traffic info are superior to car nav systems except maybe Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (which I haven't tried yet). And you never have to pay to upgrade maps.