XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Oil change for 2014 XJ

Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change for 2014 XJ

Hey guys, so I needed some help

just bought a 2014 XJ 3.0 supercharged
I want to get the oil changed for a fresh start.
called budds jaguar in oakvile(Ontario, Canada)
they want 400+tax for oil change.
I have my own personal mechanic who has changed the oil on all my past BMWs
is this a task he can do also? Similar to a BMW oil change on the jag?
I heard there was no drain plug. Any truth to that? I have the 3.0 supercharged

thank you in advance

Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jagxj2014, I cannot speak directly about the 3.0L engine as I have the 5.0L engine, but accessing the drain plug is a little bit of a PITA. There is a plate that goes under the whole engine bay. So, to access the drain plug, you have to drop this whole plate (takes about 30 minutes to drop). Then you change the oil like any other vehicle. then you have another 30 minutes of putting the plate back on. there is no access hole in the plate.

With that being said, if you open up the oil cap, you will see a small metal tube in there that you can attach a suction hose to and you can suck the oil out of the engine. This is a common thing with the newer engines. So, if you have a reputable shop that you have used in the past, they should have the pump. Granted, the pumps can be bought on e-bay or like sites for around $100 (USD). So, once you buy the pump, you can do the oil changes for nothing more than the cost of the oil and a filter. I know the filter for the 5.0L engine through Jaguar is like $85. But, if you look on e-bay, you can get the same filter (has the Jaguar writing on the box) for around $18 each (normally need to buy in a quantity of say 6 to get this price). So, that can really help to control the cost. It then becomes almost a no mess oil change as you suck the oil directly out of the engine into a catch container, the filter comes out the top of the engine, and the only mess is the little bit from trying to move the filter from the top of the engine to a catch tray (few drops normally).

With this being said, you will find that there are some interesting specs on the oil that if you follow exactly what the spec says, you will find that there is only a single kind of Castrol oil that meets this. Unfortunately, this also runs like $15 USD a quart or something silly like that. The issue comes where there are probably other oils that meet the requirement, but because the spec is unique to jaguar and the relative few numbers of vehicles that jaguar makes, it is not worth the oil companies time to certify it. So, using another kind of oil then becomes questionable. This is where you may want to talk with the personal mechanic to see what kind of oil he may be using.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

To add to Thermo, If you are under factory warranty I would recommend using the Jaguar properly specified oil. These engines have some narrow passages and high stress lubrication needs. We have seen several engine failures that can be traced to starvation. Like cam shafts and timing chain tensioners. And welcome to the forum.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jagxj2014, I cannot speak directly about the 3.0L engine as I have the 5.0L engine, but accessing the drain plug is a little bit of a PITA. There is a plate that goes under the whole engine bay. So, to access the drain plug, you have to drop this whole plate (takes about 30 minutes to drop). Then you change the oil like any other vehicle. then you have another 30 minutes of putting the plate back on. there is no access hole in the plate.

With that being said, if you open up the oil cap, you will see a small metal tube in there that you can attach a suction hose to and you can suck the oil out of the engine. This is a common thing with the newer engines. So, if you have a reputable shop that you have used in the past, they should have the pump. Granted, the pumps can be bought on e-bay or like sites for around $100 (USD). So, once you buy the pump, you can do the oil changes for nothing more than the cost of the oil and a filter. I know the filter for the 5.0L engine through Jaguar is like $85. But, if you look on e-bay, you can get the same filter (has the Jaguar writing on the box) for around $18 each (normally need to buy in a quantity of say 6 to get this price). So, that can really help to control the cost. It then becomes almost a no mess oil change as you suck the oil directly out of the engine into a catch container, the filter comes out the top of the engine, and the only mess is the little bit from trying to move the filter from the top of the engine to a catch tray (few drops normally).

With this being said, you will find that there are some interesting specs on the oil that if you follow exactly what the spec says, you will find that there is only a single kind of Castrol oil that meets this. Unfortunately, this also runs like $15 USD a quart or something silly like that. The issue comes where there are probably other oils that meet the requirement, but because the spec is unique to jaguar and the relative few numbers of vehicles that jaguar makes, it is not worth the oil companies time to certify it. So, using another kind of oil then becomes questionable. This is where you may want to talk with the personal mechanic to see what kind of oil he may be using.
thank you for the detailed reply brother, appreciate it.
called a local shop who work on rolls royce and jaguars
he quoted me 210 for the change. I'll just go that route
can you tell me the exact oil that jag uses? So I can make sure the oil these guys use is the right one!

Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Read up here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cs-wss-169980/

That should have all the answers that you are after and explanations of why things are the way they are.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:56 AM

If you have extract the oil through a tube.... How do you ADD oil???

Old 04-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

PJS3, you have a 1.5" opening that is your standard oil fill cap opening. Inside of that opening, there is a small 1/4" line that you can suck all the oil out. So, there is plenty of room to add the oil back into the engine.

I see you are in Maryland. If you live near the SOMD area, come on down and we can do an oil change in no time flat. I have the pump to suck the oil out. It will take about 20 minutes to do an oil change. 30 if we take our time.

The following users liked this post:
PJS3 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
PJS3, you have a 1.5" opening that is your standard oil fill cap opening. Inside of that opening, there is a small 1/4" line that you can suck all the oil out. So, there is plenty of room to add the oil back into the engine.

I see you are in Maryland. If you live near the SOMD area, come on down and we can do an oil change in no time flat. I have the pump to suck the oil out. It will take about 20 minutes to do an oil change. 30 if we take our time.
Cool. So I figured that there must be some simple answer to this. I haven't really looked under the hood to try and answer my own question yet, so thanks! I have purchased the Mityvac extractor/dispensor and plan to do the job this weekend. I'll be doing it while out of town though... but thanks for the offer!

Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It is super easy probably easier than most cars on the road. The filter is right next to the oil opening on top of the engine as well. I got 2 oil changes worth of the "correct" Castrol oil with the UV dye in it for when I am out of warranty, which is next month .

Old 04-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JagGate
It is super easy probably easier than most cars on the road. The filter is right next to the oil opening on top of the engine as well. I got 2 oil changes worth of the "correct" Castrol oil with the UV dye in it for when I am out of warranty, which is next month .
Where'd you get that oil from?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PJS3
Where'd you get that oil from?
Ebay seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22241918869...m=222419188698

Old 04-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Castrol is "recommended" oil. WSS-m2c925A is the REQUIRED spec oil. This is according to the There is a German brand called "Liqui-Moly" that meets the requirement, as well. It is sold on Amazon for $33.00 for a 5 liter jug, including shipping. As long as it meets 925A, it meets Jaguar's requirements. I an others have been using it with no repercussions.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Enosgl
Castrol is "recommended" oil. WSS-m2c925A is the REQUIRED spec oil. This is according to the There is a German brand called "Liqui-Moly" that meets the requirement, as well. It is sold on Amazon for $33.00 for a 5 liter jug, including shipping. As long as it meets 925A, it meets Jaguar's requirements. I an others have been using it with no repercussions.
I'm sure this oil is wonderful and probably made under license from Castrol so that no one can say they cornered the Jaguar market, but I am just not interested in saving $17 on a 15k mile oil just to make a point. I'll stick with Castrol.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM

My only point is that the Jaguar spec is 925a, NOT Castrol. They both meet spec, they both are premium oils, at that point it is simply a matter of preference. Many people think their only option is Castrol, but there is at least one other.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Your right and that is a good point!
I wish I could keep using my old stand by Mobil 1 but Jaguar makes a big deal about the proper oil spec so I will try this Liqui-Moly. It's about half the cost of the Castrol stuff on EBay.
Just to get that WSS spec!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM

It has been 2 oil changes, 20,000 miles, and I do NOT baby this 5.0 s/c sleeper a bit. No issues, nor any comments from the dealer (during CPO warranty visits) about why I don't buy oil from them.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I fail to understand reasoning behind driving $100K cars and trying to save 20$ on the oil change. If costs of proper oil changes are too much for you, then XJ isn't a car for you.

Here are some potential troubles you are inviting:

1. Timing chain wear
2. Variable timing system getting sludge and working sub-optimally or not at all
3. Intake sludge

My oil changes cost me about $200, I do 2-3 a year to keep oil fresh for track use. Ask dealer to only do engine oil and filter, by default they will try to do service 1 and up-charge on that.

Last edited by SinF; 10-11-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM

I have 2 cases of the "correct" Castrol oil. PM me if you are interested I sold my XJ.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM

"Correct"? The manual REQUIRES "WSS-m2c925A". There is at least one other brand of oil that MEETS Jaguar's WSS-m2c925A spec. The implication that anything not Castrol (Jaguar's SUGGESTION) is incorrect oil is just silly. My dealer says Jaguar RECOMMENDS Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, yet didn't hesitate to sell me Continentals when I wanted something with better snow driving capabilities. By this logic, Jaguar OEM spark plugs, oil and air filters, and windshield wipers are the only ones to use?

This is my fourth $100k Coventry cruiser that has been cared for in this manner, and none have given a lick of resistance up to the 120k mileage mark, when I have traded them. On all of them, I used the specified oil, no more, no less. Not trying to be argumentative, but the impression seems to be that Castrol is some magical fluid that is the only one that is acceptable, and that is not the case. There is a reason JLR SUGGESTS Castrol, but REQUIRES WSS-m2c925A.

The following users liked this post:
mc690 (01-24-2024)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,748 Posts

This is a bit off topic?
Since you have had 4 XJ's can you comment on repairs and reliability?
This is my first XJ and they are just uncommon and low production cars so not a lot of information is really out there.

Search this Thread