Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Rattling Is Coming Back in Pillars, Cant Find Source (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/rattling-coming-back-pillars-cant-find-source-71924/)

New2Jag 04-20-2012 12:29 PM

Rattling Is Coming Back in Pillars, Cant Find Source

It's driving me insane. So much, I want to get rid of my car. If you ride with the radio off or turned down and windows up, it sounds like someone is tapping on the metal somewhere on both sides of the car. It's SO annoying. Once you hear it, you can't stop listening to it which results in me turning the radio up loud and rolling windows down which pisses my wife off.

Its on both sides, in the side pillar behind drivers head. HELP!

aceeg 04-21-2012 12:20 AM

oh boy mine is starting to creak again on inclines. I had the last fix done too they told us it was a fix.

ExpatJag 04-23-2012 07:07 AM

From my understanding is the panoramic roof issue. I would ensure that the most recent fix was done.

Clamdigger 04-23-2012 07:24 AM

I have a rattle too in the same place but it goes away if I close the sun shade

aceeg 04-23-2012 12:48 PM

The bulletin is jtb00002. I had it done now it seems to be a creaking noise not a popping noise when I make a turn at slow speeds or on inclined driveway at a angle.

XJcat 04-23-2012 02:44 PM

rattle

I have two rattles, one is rear passenger belt tensioner the other seems like the rear sun roof.
Been to dealer numerous times, they fix, it comes back.
Have a tooth pick stuck in the front over drivers head to get rid of cracklin noise they can never seem to fix.
Not bad for a $70k car to have to stick a tooth pick in the headliner to get rid of noise.
On my second dealer already. This one not much better then the first. Overall, Jag service is really lacking.

depeche 04-24-2012 09:58 AM

Does everybody that's having the new creaking problem have a 2011? SWB or LWB? I wonder if there is commonality of the cars getting the "fix" and this issue coming up afterward.

XJCat, where do you put your toothpick? It might be helpful to the OP to see if it's the same problem.

XJ-Uwe 04-24-2012 11:05 AM

After fixing last month from my dealer everything quiet.
Lets wait and see(hear)!

Uwe

XJcat 04-24-2012 01:49 PM

rattles

I have a swb.
I have the toothpick inserted on the side of the small plastic rectangle that is in the headliner right above the drivers left ear. I am not sure what it is, maybe a microphone.

aceeg 04-24-2012 10:01 PM

2011 xj L my car. Is a replacement , so it's my 2nd jag and the noise not as bad is slowly coming back, time to trade it in for a Maserati.

aceeg 04-25-2012 01:55 AM

Found this in topix hope it helps

TOPIx - TOPIx

Jffcurt 04-25-2012 05:21 PM

Regretfully I have to report mine is coming back to after the "fix all". Nowhere near as bad but it's there. Have to bring my car in for 15,000 check up and have them look at it.

aceeg 04-27-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag (Post 501323)
It's driving me insane. So much, I want to get rid of my car. If you ride with the radio off or turned down and windows up, it sounds like someone is tapping on the metal somewhere on both sides of the car. It's SO annoying. Once you hear it, you can't stop listening to it which results in me turning the radio up loud and rolling windows down which pisses my wife off.

Its on both sides, in the side pillar behind drivers head. HELP!

Do you have a fix yet? Is it the same part I posted for new bulletin roof creak? Just want to make sure my dealer orderd the right part.

aceeg 05-09-2012 03:52 PM

new2jag did you fix it or find anything out?

aceeg 05-24-2012 10:35 PM

new2jag did you fix it or get rid of it?

aceeg 06-01-2012 10:06 PM

did you fix it

aceeg 06-01-2012 10:11 PM

you must be my twin brother the same exact thing is going on with mine.

speckhead 06-04-2012 01:54 PM

Just went to the dealer today. They told me that the panoramic roof on 2011 XJ's have been recalled due to the creaking noise. They said it's a 6 hour project. I'm scheduled for next week. I'll let y'all know how well it works.

New2Jag 06-05-2012 11:24 AM

Sorry for the delayed response.

No. It is still not fixed. It has gotten worse. The whole car rattles, squeaks, creaks... And quite frankly, I hate my car right now. I feel like I bought a Kia. Every bump. Every turn. Every pot hole. When I drive up the ramp to my parking spot, it sounds like the car is going to fall apart.

I am seriously thinking about eating rid of it. Two vehicles, same damn issues on both. My main screen continues to black out. My BT won't sync. I mean, take your pick.

If there really is a recall for the roof, I am curious to see the bulletin as I want to drop my car off for a month and let them try one more time to fix it before I drive it into a river - that's how pissed this makes me.

depeche 06-05-2012 11:59 AM

My 2011 was bought back. The 2012 has been rock-solid.

aceeg 06-05-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag (Post 524543)
Sorry for the delayed response.

No. It is still not fixed. It has gotten worse. The whole car rattles, squeaks, creaks... And quite frankly, I hate my car right now. I feel like I bought a Kia. Every bump. Every turn. Every pot hole. When I drive up the ramp to my parking spot, it sounds like the car is going to fall apart.

I am seriously thinking about eating rid of it. Two vehicles, same damn issues on both. My main screen continues to black out. My BT won't sync. I mean, take your pick.

If there really is a recall for the roof, I am curious to see the bulletin as I want to drop my car off for a month and let them try one more time to fix it before I drive it into a river - that's how pissed this makes me.

I'm in the same boat , I almost traded it in last week, but I decided to give it 1 more shot. The dealer picked it up today i'll let you know how I make out. It sucks I get pissed too why a 80,000 dollar car squeeks,creaks, and rattles is no excuse.

speckhead 06-18-2012 10:56 AM

I just completed the recall work on the rattling last week. They had to replace bushings in the roof with rubber ones, versus plastic that were originally installed. The repair seems to work as I expected. I haven't heard the annoying rattling since I picked up the car.

Isoruku 02-21-2016 01:20 PM

I've got the rattle too

Hi everyone. Hope people see this old thread. I have a 2004 XJ8 with 67400 miles on it. For the last 500 miles or so, I too have experienced a maddening creaking or rattling sound (one rattle though, it's always one knock or rattle at a time), usually when accelerating while at a slow speed or driving slowly over uneven road surfaces. For example, when driving into my garage yesterday from the alley in back of my house, the rattle/creaking occurred three or four times in the space of about two seconds. I took a look at that service bulletin mentioned earlier in this thread (jtb00002) but it specifies that the noise tends to come from the front or front left of the vehicles in question. But the noise in my car sounds like it's coming from the starboard B pillar area or even from inside the starboard rear door. Incredibly annoying. I think everyone here has a newer XJ than mine. Any guesses as to the cause?

XJsss 02-21-2016 04:56 PM

From time to time I have had a rattle in the drivers side B pillar and found that is came from the seat belt detractor and that it went away after a week or two, but that was a couple of years ago and I attributed to the climatic conditions of temp and moisture.

Fraser Mitchell 02-22-2016 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Isoruku (Post 1407625)
Hi everyone. Hope people see this old thread. I have a 2004 XJ8 with 67400 miles on it. For the last 500 miles or so, I too have experienced a maddening creaking or rattling sound (one rattle though, it's always one knock or rattle at a time), usually when accelerating while at a slow speed or driving slowly over uneven road surfaces. For example, when driving into my garage yesterday from the alley in back of my house, the rattle/creaking occurred three or four times in the space of about two seconds. I took a look at that service bulletin mentioned earlier in this thread (jtb00002) but it specifies that the noise tends to come from the front or front left of the vehicles in question. But the noise in my car sounds like it's coming from the starboard B pillar area or even from inside the starboard rear door. Incredibly annoying. I think everyone here has a newer XJ than mine. Any guesses as to the cause?

You're in the wrong forum for your car. This one is for the XJ from 2009, yours is the previous model, (like mine). Whilst both cars are made totally of aluminium, the body shells are totally different.

Isoruku 02-22-2016 12:03 PM

All I was asking for was some insight into the creaking sound in my XJ. I know that this is the X 351 forum and that I have an X 350, but since this is where I found a discussion of such noises, I thought it was a good place to inquire.

Fraser Mitchell 02-22-2016 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Isoruku (Post 1408375)
All I was asking for was some insight into the creaking sound in my XJ. I know that this is the X 351 forum and that I have an X 350, but since this is where I found a discussion of such noises, I thought it was a good place to inquire.

OK, fair enough. Main reason for the creaks and groans on the X351, (current model XJ) was the sunshine roof installation. Its a complex assembly and clearly not well designed at all at least the early ones. Here in England the editor of the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club had to have the whole sunshine roof module replaced to cure the noise ! As for my car, and X350s in general, I have seen very few posts on creaking noises, it's not a problem generally, although obviously something is wrong in your car. Have you posted in the X350 forum yet ?

Isoruku 02-22-2016 04:26 PM

I will do that, although a search doesn't seem to yield a previous discussion. But I can certainly start a thread there.

Fraser Mitchell 02-22-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Isoruku (Post 1408553)
I will do that, although a search doesn't seem to yield a previous discussion. But I can certainly start a thread there.

Good, see you there. I think yours will be the first post re creaking noises ! When something like this starts, I always try to think back about what has happened with the car in the recent past.

Serlock 02-27-2016 02:33 PM

I was hearing rattle from time to time coming from the back of sunroof. Ive noticed it goes away after washing the car. So I sprayed wd40 to the sunroof sealings from outside. Rattle is gone.

cicirrigi 03-24-2016 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Serlock (Post 1411806)
I was hearing rattle from time to time coming from the back of sunroof. Ive noticed it goes away after washing the car. So I sprayed wd40 to the sunroof sealings from outside. Rattle is gone.

Since you've sprayed WD how often are you hearing the noises? Mine has the same noises no fix I went to Jaguar Lookers London twice they are rubish. I've paied alot of moneys for nothing I am still looking for a fix it's been 6 months since I am struggling to fix it.

Serlock 03-25-2016 06:54 AM

I sprayed it and never heard a rattle since then. try to spray on sealings from the outside.

cicirrigi 03-25-2016 05:34 PM

I will. I'll keep you posted if it's any improvement. Cheers

Serlock 04-21-2016 01:06 PM

Once again i heard rattle in the back side from sunroof. I sprayed wd 40, my car is silent now.

L80ous 09-13-2016 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Serlock (Post 1446722)
Once again i heard rattle in the back side from sunroof. I sprayed wd 40, my car is silent now.

Bump to this thread, if your still on this forum could you tell me where you sprayed the wd40?

Has any-one else had any success in sorting out the sunroof rattle on their X351?

LiquidIce 09-16-2016 11:31 AM

Scroll up the thread and read serlock's comments: I was hearing rattle from time to time coming from the back of sunroof. Ive noticed it goes away after washing the car. So I sprayed wd40 to the sunroof sealings from outside. Rattle is gone.

L80ous 09-16-2016 03:04 PM

Thanks I'll give it a go

BritCars 09-17-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Scroll up the thread and read serlock's comments: I was hearing rattle from time to time coming from the back of sunroof. Ive noticed it goes away after washing the car. So I sprayed wd40 to the sunroof sealings from outside. Rattle is gone.

As a more permanent solution many of us with XF models have found the same issue. If you get a tube of Sil-Glyde and open the sunroof and apply it liberally to the rubber sunroof seal that fixes it for a year or two. It's the rubber seal drying out and sticking to the metal lining of the sunroof