XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Rear seat climate control

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear seat climate control

Hallo you all,
I would like to know if rear climate control could be added to a non climate control car.
My rear central diffuser has seat heating buttons and two lighters holes, but no climate control.
Can someone that has full climate control take a picture of the connector inside the diffuser?
Here it is my connector and system.
I would like to compare wiring because in Audi (for example) if you by the control OEM (from a crashed car for example) the wiring is the same, you connect the new one and it is full working!!
(To unmount the central diffuser just pull horizontally way the full boby, it will unhook easy.)

Here the pictures, thanks!!

external view
internal wiring
front arm connectors
climate control connector
lighters connectors
model number (serial)

Last edited by GGG; 08-20-2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 06-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I can take a picture for you, but i have no idea how that piece comes off to take it. Is it fairly simple?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...j-xjl-2010-12/

You can see on the back of the unit that it has the same plug. I noticed on your picture the rectangular plug that hooks to it was missing a few wires from the factory so it would be interesting to see if a car with rear climate control is also missing these wires.

My guess is this would not work because it would be disabled in the cars system files. on the main touch screen in the front of the car you can go in and edit many things about the rear climate including locking the rear climate control screen, being that your car was not equipped with rear climate all of the rear climate control features would be disabled in the system files. If the wiring was the same and you could edit the system files you could easily perform this modification. There are people in this community that are editing these cars system files but I am not sure on what software they are using to do this.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (08-21-2021)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks a lot, and thanks for the pictures you'll send to me.
This mod is very cute in my opinion so should be interesting to know if it works or not.
If the wires are the same I will buy the necessary part to try it and if doesn't work (as it was on my AUDI A8) I hope someone could help me with sw manipulation!

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Sandro

Old 06-15-2018, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The good news is that unlike the X350 XJ the 4 zone uses the same system as the 2 zone on the X351. You are only missing a sun load sensor and the control panel. Read the note at the end though.

From the Jaguar information:
The two and four zone climate control systems contain the same hardware. Different software in their respective ATC modules produces the different functionality required by the two systems.
That connector you show is C3H444A. All 9 ways are populated when the 4 zone is fitted. The wires in your photo are for the heated seat controls only. The rear climate panel itself is entirely self-contained with comms over the MS CAN network, although you there is also an additional rear sunload sensor fitted on the parcel shelf which is hard wired to the panel.

It should be possible to fit the rear sunload sensor to the rear parcel shelf by just cutting out the hole as it has retentive clips. It is the same part as the front sensor (C2D3027). To make up the wiring you need connector YPC801320 and a pre-terminated pigtail set 418-411-45 if you can't get one pre-terminated. The attachments show the connectors and wiring needed.

The rear control panel has two options for 4 zone systems:
C2D27437 - without rear cooled seats
C2D24738 - with rear cooled seats

Once the hardware is fitted you need to hook the car up to SDD to configure the CCF with the 4 zone option via engineering mode (requires a seeded password, there are options to generate these online). That would make it available on the front touch screen. You probably need to reflash the software to the ATC module as per Jaguar's note above, but it may pick it up from the CCF. Our user Cambo may be able to help you there as SDD now loads vehicle as-built data directly from JLR on each new session so you may need to trick it by renaming firmware files if you do need to flash different software.

Attached Thumbnails Rear seat climate control-p1006.jpg   Rear seat climate control-p8785.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
The good news is that unlike the X350 XJ the 4 zone uses the same system as the 2 zone on the X351. You are only missing a sun load sensor and the control panel. Read the note at the end though.

From the Jaguar information:

That connector you show is C3H444A. All 9 ways are populated when the 4 zone is fitted. The wires in your photo are for the heated seat controls only. The rear climate panel itself is entirely self-contained with comms over the MS CAN network, although you there is also an additional rear sunload sensor fitted on the parcel shelf which is hard wired to the panel.

It should be possible to fit the rear sunload sensor to the rear parcel shelf by just cutting out the hole as it has retentive clips. It is the same part as the front sensor (C2D3027). To make up the wiring you need connector YPC801320 and a pre-terminated pigtail set 418-411-45 if you can't get one pre-terminated. The attachments show the connectors and wiring needed.

The rear control panel has two options for 4 zone systems:
C2D27437 - without rear cooled seats
C2D24738 - with rear cooled seats

Once the hardware is fitted you need to hook the car up to SDD to configure the CCF with the 4 zone option via engineering mode (requires a seeded password, there are options to generate these online). That would make it available on the front touch screen. You probably need to reflash the software to the ATC module as per Jaguar's note above, but it may pick it up from the CCF. Our user Cambo may be able to help you there as SDD now loads vehicle as-built data directly from JLR on each new session so you may need to trick it by renaming firmware files if you do need to flash different software.
Not to be a downer here but this is an insane amount of work that provides no benefit for the driver or an increased sales price.

On a different note, XDave, where do you get all the cool schematics from?

Ken Dreger (08-21-2021)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I would assume it is for the benefit of the rear passengers rather than the driver. Although now that the early models can be snapped up at the £10k mark it might not add value but does increase desirability in a crowded used market and is cheap to do if you DIY.

To retrofit to an X351 is easy compared to an X350. On those there is a separate heater core and evaporator in the centre armrest and you need to replace the AC compressor, most of the pressure lines, the heater pipes, the armrest assembly and almost all the components, new ducting under the floors, new front carpet, a new cabin harness and you need to drop the drive shaft and remove the air manifold/supercharger from the engine to fit it all. Now that really was an insane amount of work for not benefit to the driver!

The schematics are from https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/index. You need to buy a subscription to access them as an non-dealer, but that gives you access to the workshop manual, electrical schematics and all the diagnostic/technical information.

Ken Dreger (08-21-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I'm looking into how to do this now.

xDave - fantastic advice and you are the only person on the internet with any advice on doing this.

Where would I get hold of a YPC801320 connector (searched online and there seem to be no selling sources for it new - does this need to come from a breaker)? And where does the wiring go from and to for the connector?

I can get hold of the pre-terminated wiring. I also have access to a cheap rear panel and also have SDD to reconfigure the CCF file too.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for this excellent tutorial - I just did this job today! Here's what I learned:

It turns out the wiring is already in place for four-zone climate panel, all the way to the top RHD corner of the rear seat and the grey connector. This connector is tucked away in easy reach behind the seat back.

I now understand that xDave's advice was about how to fashion the loom for the solar sensor. I bought a rear parcel shelf that included the solar sensor and its cable and connector, to avoid needing to make one.

I could have fitted the shelf I had bought, but I didn't want to remove the parcel shelf as I hear it is a mare to re-fit afterward, so instead I made a paper template of the hole from the factory parcel shelf I'd bought and then marked out in felt tip and cut out a hole in my own shelf using a stanley knife (those shelves are made of strong stuff, so you will need to persevere). If I find time I will post a blueprint of the dimensions and shape for this online, for any other would-be upgraders. I intend to sell the parcel shelf I bought to recoup my costs; most of these don't have the sensor with them necessarily.

To get under the parcel shelf for the purpose of routing the sensor wire and plugging in the connector, you need to remove the lower rear seat (I disconnected the wiring looms as mine was heated) and then drop the upper rear seat forward (I did not fully remove it). Here are a few tips on this part:

1. I referred to the excellent stickies on removing the seat parts.
2. There are four triangle-shaped levers that are hidden and hold the front edge of the rear seat in place. They are spring-loaded, so start at one end, lift and hold up the corner as you release the first lever and keep the pressure upward, otherwise the seat will just snap back into place. It gets easier the more levers your release but do not give up and let go.
3. One of the connectors on the LHD side is held to the seat chassis with a plastic peg; best to release this.
4. The seat is covered in soft slippy leather, so be careful it doesn't slip round and tug the wiring out of a connector.
5. The seat back is released by two tapes that run from the top to the bottom behind the seats on the left and right. Both pull down to release a latch and free the top edge of the seat. This task is easier with two people, as one can keep forward pressure on one end of the seat to stop it clipping back into place, whilst the other one is released. I managed it on my own, though.
6. When the top edge is released, it tips forward. the bottom edge of the seat back is hinged. This then gives you access to the leading edge of the parcel shelf, but this next needs releasing so you can forced your hand under it to guide the wiring through - this is a tight fit!
7. To release the front edge of the parcel shelf, I first unclipped and removed the black plastic isofix covers to give more flexibility to the leading edge (lift the lid; angle the left and right tangs out from behind the parcel shelf and slide the black moulding forward and off the metal loop). Then, there are three plastic fasteners across the lower edge which require unscrewing and then pulling out. These are threaded through three black plastic parcel shelf arms with grooves that slot down onto and behind the metal bulkhead. Lift the leftmost one and you should nw be able to get your hand and lower arm under the parcel shelf and to where you will need to fit the sensor.

The solar sensor clips down into the hole in the parcel shelf with the narrower side facing backward. I cut the hole using a craft knife and it was hard work but successful. really concentrate on cutting this the right size first time, as it is harder to adjust if you cut too small and impossible to resolve if you cut too big! The sensor is located 55cm in from the and and 36cm back from the leading edge, behind where the rear sun-blind would fit (there is a shallow trench in the moulding for cars that do not have one fitted).

I threaded the connector and wire down through the hole (believe me, you do not want to fit the sensor and then start trying to attach the wiring to it blind!) and then reached under with my hand to capture the wiring and route it over to the connection point. A simple click and it was fitted! (the CCF for my car listed the solar sensor as "Unspecified" so the car adapted to the addition of the extra sensor intuitively). Then I re-fitted the seat back and lower seat, making sure I had reconnected all the wiring for the heated seat bottom.

Next, I removed the rear panel moulding and unplugged the wiring connectors for the 12v sockets and the panel itself, unscrewed the four torx20 screws and removed the panel. I fitted a panel with the four-zone controls and re-built the panel moulding and refitted it.

Finally, I logged into CCF via SDD and reconfigured as follows:

Rear air conditioning FROM Without Rear air conditioning TO Rear air conditioning (0x02 3 64 000:007)
Number of climatic system zones FROM Zone 2 To Zone 4 (0x80 1 193 005:007)

This was all that was required (l left Solar sensor as Undefined (0x00 3 2020 000:001). On re-starting the car, all the features were available on the front screen (including locking the rear panel so only the chauffeur can operate the four zones) remotely, and the rear panel was fully functional too.

Thanks to the members of the forum for their guidance and advice on here, without which I wouldn't have been brave enough to take a scalpel to my wonderful sophisticated XJ!

Old 08-21-2021, 07:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking Rear Seat AC

Originally Posted by DeepPurple
Thanks for this excellent tutorial - I just did this job today! Here's what I learned:

It turns out the wiring is already in place for four-zone climate panel, all the way to the top RHD corner of the rear seat and the grey connector. This connector is tucked away in easy reach behind the seat back.

I now understand that xDave's advice was about how to fashion the loom for the solar sensor. I bought a rear parcel shelf that included the solar sensor and its cable and connector, to avoid needing to make one.

I could have fitted the shelf I had bought, but I didn't want to remove the parcel shelf as I hear it is a mare to re-fit afterward, so instead I made a paper template of the hole from the factory parcel shelf I'd bought and then marked out in felt tip and cut out a hole in my own shelf using a stanley knife (those shelves are made of strong stuff, so you will need to persevere). If I find time I will post a blueprint of the dimensions and shape for this online, for any other would-be upgraders. I intend to sell the parcel shelf I bought to recoup my costs; most of these don't have the sensor with them necessarily.

To get under the parcel shelf for the purpose of routing the sensor wire and plugging in the connector, you need to remove the lower rear seat (I disconnected the wiring looms as mine was heated) and then drop the upper rear seat forward (I did not fully remove it). Here are a few tips on this part:

1. I referred to the excellent stickies on removing the seat parts.
2. There are four triangle-shaped levers that are hidden and hold the front edge of the rear seat in place. They are spring-loaded, so start at one end, lift and hold up the corner as you release the first lever and keep the pressure upward, otherwise the seat will just snap back into place. It gets easier the more levers your release but do not give up and let go.
3. One of the connectors on the LHD side is held to the seat chassis with a plastic peg; best to release this.
4. The seat is covered in soft slippy leather, so be careful it doesn't slip round and tug the wiring out of a connector.
5. The seat back is released by two tapes that run from the top to the bottom behind the seats on the left and right. Both pull down to release a latch and free the top edge of the seat. This task is easier with two people, as one can keep forward pressure on one end of the seat to stop it clipping back into place, whilst the other one is released. I managed it on my own, though.
6. When the top edge is released, it tips forward. the bottom edge of the seat back is hinged. This then gives you access to the leading edge of the parcel shelf, but this next needs releasing so you can forced your hand under it to guide the wiring through - this is a tight fit!
7. To release the front edge of the parcel shelf, I first unclipped and removed the black plastic isofix covers to give more flexibility to the leading edge (lift the lid; angle the left and right tangs out from behind the parcel shelf and slide the black moulding forward and off the metal loop). Then, there are three plastic fasteners across the lower edge which require unscrewing and then pulling out. These are threaded through three black plastic parcel shelf arms with grooves that slot down onto and behind the metal bulkhead. Lift the leftmost one and you should nw be able to get your hand and lower arm under the parcel shelf and to where you will need to fit the sensor.

The solar sensor clips down into the hole in the parcel shelf with the narrower side facing backward. I cut the hole using a craft knife and it was hard work but successful. really concentrate on cutting this the right size first time, as it is harder to adjust if you cut too small and impossible to resolve if you cut too big! The sensor is located 55cm in from the and and 36cm back from the leading edge, behind where the rear sun-blind would fit (there is a shallow trench in the moulding for cars that do not have one fitted).

I threaded the connector and wire down through the hole (believe me, you do not want to fit the sensor and then start trying to attach the wiring to it blind!) and then reached under with my hand to capture the wiring and route it over to the connection point. A simple click and it was fitted! (the CCF for my car listed the solar sensor as "Unspecified" so the car adapted to the addition of the extra sensor intuitively). Then I re-fitted the seat back and lower seat, making sure I had reconnected all the wiring for the heated seat bottom.

Next, I removed the rear panel moulding and unplugged the wiring connectors for the 12v sockets and the panel itself, unscrewed the four torx20 screws and removed the panel. I fitted a panel with the four-zone controls and re-built the panel moulding and refitted it.

Finally, I logged into CCF via SDD and reconfigured as follows:

Rear air conditioning FROM Without Rear air conditioning TO Rear air conditioning (0x02 3 64 000:007)
Number of climatic system zones FROM Zone 2 To Zone 4 (0x80 1 193 005:007)

This was all that was required (l left Solar sensor as Undefined (0x00 3 2020 000:001). On re-starting the car, all the features were available on the front screen (including locking the rear panel so only the chauffeur can operate the four zones) remotely, and the rear panel was fully functional too.

Thanks to the members of the forum for their guidance and advice on here, without which I wouldn't have been brave enough to take a scalpel to my wonderful sophisticated XJ!
WOW! what a job.....maybe you can farm your talent out to others? Many of us might be interested in this option....

Old 10-18-2023, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but has anyone followed through on this? It would be great to have more information on the solar sensor location and wiring.