Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Reputable Repair shops in Houston (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/reputable-repair-shops-houston-220262/)

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 07:37 AM

Reputable Repair shops in Houston

I will be going back to Texas for a week at the end of this month. I was thinking about possibly having my car worked on (timing chain, guides, tensioner) in Houston rather than here. Does any know any reasonably priced and reputable shops in Houston?

Brutal 07-09-2019 09:33 AM

What side of town, what engine and mileage?
You know it takes a hour to go from houston to houston

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2096319)
What side of town, what engine and mileage?
You know it takes a hour to go from houston to houston

I’m going to be all over... Sugar Land, Katy, Downtown. I don’t mind shops in the surrounding areas either. Just not east, towards Pasadena or baytown. That side is kinda bad lol. It’s a 5.0 SC with 71k miles. By the time I get there 72-73k miles

Brutal 07-09-2019 10:09 AM

Okay and brings up my next question. Why do you want to change the tensioners, guides and chains?

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2096327)
Okay and brings up my next question. Why do you want to change the tensioners, guides and chains?

Well I have been hearing a very faint rattling. Yesterday my tech and I were going for a drive, and as I started it up, it got really bad where it was a knocking sound, and after a few minutes of idling it would go away. He himself had confirmed that it was the timing components issue.

Brutal 07-09-2019 10:24 AM

Reason i ask is because that is very uncommon in a 5.0 with that low of mileage. More common is the sc snout with a weak or failed spring that causes knocking at idle. Goes away once rpm comes up and loading the drive snout pulley. If i were to need work done on 1 of my jags that i didnt want to do i would only take to mike at champions jaguar 281-586-7446. Tell him i sent you.
Bill

Nedoerr 07-09-2019 10:29 AM

Assuming the diagnosis is correct, I would make sure the repair shop also lets you supply your own parts. The parts are at least 20% cheaper getting them yourself and sometimes > 60% cheaper. Jags are already too expensive to repair to pay the parts tax too.

All the best.

Nedoerr 07-09-2019 10:43 AM

+1 about the supercharger. Important to rule out or include in your diagnosis. It makes the louder sound on my car than the timing chain. Mine gets quieter after a few minutes, but it never completely stops making noise. Also hear it as I lightly press accelerator. If you find out it is just the supercharger, it is much cheaper to fix.

Though if you have the older 2010-2013 style guide rails/ tensioners, their replacement is also likely. Mine definitely makes the timing chain noise as well, so I’m having both jobs done simultaneously.

TXFireblade 07-09-2019 11:01 AM

Hey Brutal, is there a way to just change the tensioners and blades of the S/C engines without removing the chains? I saw a video from British Atlantic where the did the timing gear replacement on a N/A engine and after they had locked everything down on the motor, they released the tensioner pressure, unbolted and removed the fixed blade and then removed the tensioning blade. All this was done with the chain still over the sprockets. I may need to do this sometime in the future (I suspect) since my engine probably has the old tensioner and blade design and wondered if you techs had any short cuts or tips when doing this job?

Thanks in advance.

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2096334)
Reason i ask is because that is very uncommon in a 5.0 with that low of mileage. More common is the sc snout with a weak or failed spring that causes knocking at idle. Goes away once rpm comes up and loading the drive snout pulley. If i were to need work done on 1 of my jags that i didnt want to do i would only take to mike at champions jaguar 281-586-7446. Tell him i sent you.
Bill

well I have the Supercharger snout with me too. I was replacing it because it’s a issue that’s bound to happen, same with the timing stuff. Also I’m pretty sure it’s chain as well because I can hear like chain rattling or slapping sound from the left side (passenger) of the engine where the upper timing covers are. I feel like I would rather replace timing stuff now rather than down the road when I’m on a trip or somewhere lol. I really appreciate your help and recommendations

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr (Post 2096340)
+1 about the supercharger. Important to rule out or include in your diagnosis. It makes the louder sound on my car than the timing chain. Mine gets quieter after a few minutes, but it never completely stops making noise. Also hear it as I lightly press accelerator. If you find out it is just the supercharger, it is much cheaper to fix.

Though if you have the older 2010-2013 style guide rails/ tensioners, their replacement is also likely. Mine definitely makes the timing chain noise as well, so I’m having both jobs done simultaneously.

I’m replacing the snout as well, it’s just that I hear chain rattling/ slapping sound from the passenger side upper timing cover

XJsss 07-09-2019 11:35 AM

FWIW. In my case only tensioners and guides were replaced and it resolved the problem. I had previously had the snout replaced so it was not a concern. My tech at Jaguar has done many tensioner and guide replacements and has yet to find a damaged or stretched chain.

Supercharged Jag 07-09-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss (Post 2096368)
FWIW. In my case only tensioners and guides were replaced and it resolved the problem. I had previously had the snout replaced so it was not a concern. My tech at Jaguar has done many tensioner and guide replacements and has yet to find a damaged or stretched chain.

I’ve quite a few people say the same thing, but I just thought no extra labor just pay for the part. Also are all 3 upper and lower timing covers supposed to be replaced or just the lower one?

XJsss 07-09-2019 11:59 AM

if you look at my post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-done-214277/ you can see the parts my tech used. Also, while you are there i'd replace my water pump too.

Nedoerr 07-09-2019 12:57 PM

My understanding is the chains stretch over time. That is why the tensioner ratchets, to lock in a new base level of tension as the chain stretches. Please feel free to correct me if I’m in error; I don’t do my own engine work.

I think there is an official zip tie method for those that don’t want to change their chains. It can be found here on the XF forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...method-216576/

Brutal 07-09-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by txfireblade (Post 2096350)
hey brutal, is there a way to just change the tensioners and blades of the s/c engines without removing the chains? I saw a video from british atlantic where the did the timing gear replacement on a n/a engine and after they had locked everything down on the motor, they released the tensioner pressure, unbolted and removed the fixed blade and then removed the tensioning blade. All this was done with the chain still over the sprockets. I may need to do this sometime in the future (i suspect) since my engine probably has the old tensioner and blade design and wondered if you techs had any short cuts or tips when doing this job?

Thanks in advance.

iirc yes you can

Nedoerr 07-09-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag (Post 2096369)
I’ve quite a few people say the same thing, but I just thought no extra labor just pay for the part. Also are all 3 upper and lower timing covers supposed to be replaced or just the lower one?

Instead of writing more on this thread perhaps we can take it over to the timing chain tensioner thread. This will make it easier to find in the future. I’ll post my comment there.

XJsss 07-10-2019 10:36 AM

The reason we have to replace the tensioners and guides is because JLR in their infinite wisdom made the original guides with a soft mating surface to the tensioner that wore a deep cup into it and could eventually become stuck in the guide.