Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   roof noise, popping? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/roof-noise-popping-45369/)

XJcat 11-11-2010 07:52 AM

roof noise, popping?

After dealer serviced my car, needed to play with microphone to get voice commands to work there is a noise coming from right above the drivers ear. Seems to be insdie headline or from the plastic little piece that is in headliner. Don't know what it is.
Is this the popping I am reading about on the forum or something else.
Hard to describe noise, definately not a squeak, definately not metallic.

HouTexJag 11-15-2010 05:36 PM

The roof popping noise that most of us are experiencing comes from the rear of the car, both right and left sides, when going over bumps or making sharp uphill or downhill turns. I think you have something different.

gears 12-01-2010 09:23 PM

Haha, I had the same thing after they did the roof pop fix. I took care of it myself. I found it. The roof liner is touching / rubbing a little metal bracket just ever so slightly. It't the bracket holding the B Pilar cladding on top. I removed B Pilar Cladding (pop out the little airbag plastic sign on top, remove torx inside, then pop pop off cladding). I simply put a little double sided tape between headliner and bracket WITHOUT removing plasting on one sticky side. I also put some white grease in. Now, when it touches, there is no friction and no noise. Attention....it is easy to let the torx screw inside the frame, belt ect. Just pull out carefully.
It is a very easy fix.

HOWEVER, since my dealer did the roof popping noise fix the entire headliner makes crazy cracking noises when cold and until interior warms up. Back to the dealer I go.

gears 12-09-2010 04:42 PM

Update, all fixed

After my last dealer visit, technically my only one, they got all the roof noises fixed. One thing was as simple as re-attaching the rear inner sunroof plastic frame. The original Velcro simply didn't stick. Stuff like that. And the more major roof glass frame pop is now fixed as well. No more noise.

LegalGuy 12-10-2010 07:56 AM

My car has begun to make the roof-popping noises as the weather has grown cold--goes in for service next Tuesday. (If I'm reading the VIN correctly my car is 6881 off the assembly line).

Will let you know how things go...

gears 12-11-2010 10:06 AM

Wow, I got my car in late October as well, but I have a Vin in the mid 8000's. Must have to do with the fact that Jaguar held a lot of cars in NJ awaiting the fixes and software upgrades.
Anyways, if you have a delaer with a good service technician your roof noise should become a thing of the past, especially after they install the new brackets per the TSB.
The roof CAN be made perfect but after reading all these postings it seems it is a matter of haveing a talented tech doing the job. Good luck.

jcamp 12-18-2010 02:35 PM

last night my roof sounded like styra -foam popping,or cracking.

gears 12-19-2010 02:50 PM

Roof Popping Noise

Well Good Luck. Eventhough its not major and not always I am getting fed up. I thought it fixed twice now. The other day I poked around on the headliner to rule out any headliner attachment points. Added little sticky foam here and there.
But I could not find anything I could supect for the popping noise coming from right and left rear. The one supposedly fixed. Initially it was headliner AND some other stuff. Now headliner is good. But where the heck is the other noise coming from? One lamost would have to drive around sitting in the back with the headliner removed.

Does anybody know the source of the roof popping noise coming from the rear left and/or right?

gears 12-19-2010 02:56 PM

Darn, its back!
No, not anything in the headliner, not any squeaking, a popping (like a seem or rivet point) if car hits bump or ist twisted on curb.
Anybody any idea???
Been at the dealer. First they can't even hear the noise. Then they said they found something. The "sunroof pop fix" is done. I made sure there are no noises from the sunroof liner.

I love the car and don't want to get rid of it. I am a restless (and believe talented) tinkerer. I know the dealer mechanics won't take that time and dedication EXCEPT I raise a major stink. I want the noise gone. ANYBODY? Any Ideas.

XJcat 12-20-2010 08:15 AM

going to get ear plugs

Bluetooth did not work with telephone so I brought in to dealer and figured the time was right to get rid of crackling noise over my left ear in roof. When I tell service manager about it he looks at me like he never heard of any problems, then I remind him about TSB's and he says oh yeah. Get car back headliner dirty, but noise gone, for about a 1/2 mile, now worse then it was. Will bring it bak when somethihng else fails.

gears 12-20-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by XJcat (Post 283519)
Bluetooth did not work with telephone so I brought in to dealer and figured the time was right to get rid of crackling noise over my left ear in roof. When I tell service manager about it he looks at me like he never heard of any problems, then I remind him about TSB's and he says oh yeah. Get car back headliner dirty, but noise gone, for about a 1/2 mile, now worse then it was. Will bring it bak when somethihng else fails.

I oosted here somewhere how to get rid of the noise. There is no TSB on that and i doubt dealers know it. I just took care of it myself and did share the info with my dealer forntheir own reference. Search my posts and you will find it. That "above your ear" noise never came back since i took care of it. You can share info with your dealer and if they are good they will work with you. I know, its not a loud noise but a VERY annoying one and so easy to fix.

gears 12-20-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by XJcat (Post 283519)

Hi, just check my post right here a few up. Tells you the problem and solution. Very minor issue and has nothing to do with any of the other roof popping noises posts floating around here.

gears 12-21-2010 12:12 AM

Roof Noise, Dealer has all the info, Should be an easy fix!

I just saw with my own eyes a completely illustrated info sheet for dealers of how to get rid of the roof noises. It seems Jaguar had investigated a very thoroughly every claim.
The causes are so, well ridiculously simple to fix and show how a small problem can cause so many headaches. There are a variety of causes listed and they are all simple fixes. So, ask your dealer if their tech followed ALL the instructions and reviewed ALL the possible causes before giving the car back to you.
In some cases it involves simply things such as removing a plastic alligment tab helping window installation during the manufacturing process. Or removing excess glue from a bolt. Simple cause, major annoyance.

I know it is not everyone's thing to except such problems at such an expensive car. Nor is everone interested in the technical side of things. Nor should they have to when buying such a car.

I am simply getting so into it, because I LOVE the car otherwise AND my dealer's technicians performed excellent so far.

gears 01-02-2011 12:41 AM

Roof Noise Update, all seems fine, still

I was driving all over the place the last couple of days. Lots around downtown Chicago among other places. Potholes everywhere. Roads are really bad. And so far, NOT a single roof pop crack noise despite all that. And not to forget that I was really listening for it. I mean being a stickler about it. Radio was off all the time. Simnply nothing. And with those streets and the fact that I was actively looking for it, I believe all may be fine still. And don't forget, most people wouldn't have noticed if there is something with this extremely best Bowers & Wilkins system playing.