Seeking suggestion for 2013 XJL brake rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Anyone tried the Porterfield R4-5?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Rotors that actually warp are pretty much a myth.
I dislike it when people post this kind of untrue but authoritative statements! You are completely wrong. I am no expert at this but I found out the hard way!
Rotor warp is actually more predominant today and ever before - because of proliferation of 3rd world rotors. Even a german company like Zimmer buys the castings from China etc. They may or machine them in Germany - just for the "made in germany" label -I am not sure if they are even machining them in Germany. Apparently, Zimmer used to be a reliable name and now they are selling junk chinese/indian rotors as if they are made in germany. I had the zimmer rotors replaced, because they were warped - within very low miles, they warped! Several mechanics have told me this.. Even they are having problem in finding high quality rotors.. they said that the rotors are of poor quality and do warp often enough that the two I talked to are tired of junk from China/India.. The guy I used actually ordered Jaguar OEM from the local dealer - and yes, I know him well enough that he did get OEM from local jaguar dealer (only dealer in my area). The brakes work great now!

In the past, I had bought rotors from "a place for brakes".. that was 3 years ago.. for my lexus ls 600hl and they were as good as OEM.. the ceramic pads were perfect.. everything was as good as OEM.. Unfortunately, they did not stock rotors for Jaguar.. The Zimmer rotors with Hella pads were both junk!

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 11-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased Mintex front rotors, they were 100Eur a pair. They are not good. After overheating they start to vibrate. Just like OEM. I want to buy EBC slotted rottors and greenstuff pads. My concern is will those slots make any additional noise or not? Because i had slotted/drilled rotors + red stuff pads on audi s8 (2000) and they would make a loud additional noice when braking lets say from 200kmh.

Or maybe you can recommend a good discs+pad set which would brake little better than OEM and wouldnt vibrate after overheat.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Serlock
...they start to vibrate. Just like OEM. I want to buy EBC slotted rottors and greenstuff pads..
I am curious to know.. did your brakes vibrate, in the first 30k miles of your car, assuming you bought it new? I have two jaguars. 2012 xf and 2013 xjl. I have never had vibration problem with OEM. My xjl - the front rotors developed deep grooves but no vibration. The pads were making the grooves - not sure why but it was working fine. we found out only at inspection (by my employee - not the dealer). I had my employee install Zimmer rotors and Hella pads and they were awful - vibrating within a few thousand miles (as I wrote above). Now I have OEM rotors and pads installed by a friend/mechanic. He got them directly from the local jaguar dealer. Mechanics some times say/think that they are buying OEM.. but there could be fake OEM? I found a site with supposedly OEM rotors at half the price of OEM but I didnt trust them.. Did you have a dealer install the OEM parts or do you know for sure, that you have OEM rotors/pads?

For my xf, i had someon install rotors and pads. I don't think they are OEM.. They make creaking noises at 2 mph to 0 mph range. I had the front pads pulled out and lots of grease applied in the back of th epads and the creaking sent away for front.. I have to get the rears also done. But the rotors are not vibrating..

You mentioned Euro.. I can offer no suggestions on the euro sources.. but here in USA, we have a lot of chinese/Indian junk - being sold as European and usa made rotors. Due to environmental reasons, most of the casting process has moved overseas.. and the quality of metal being used is a major issue. It is becoming a hit or miss to figure out how to find good rotors.. even the "made in USA" rotors.. are usually cheap foreign castings, machined/slotted/drilled.. As I wrote above, I did have good luck with aftermarket rotors for my lexus ls600hl in the past..
Sorry I could not offer better suggestion other than to say that you must make sure that OEM is not fake OEM and that it is being purchased directly from the dealer!
Good luck.