XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Should I trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Should I trade?

I am looking at possibly trading my XJ for a new Cadillac CT6. The Caddy would be around $70k and when all is said and done with the trade I would be looking at $350/month lease payments for 48 months with 10k/year mileage. That mileage is fine for me I don't even drive that much. During lease it is total nothing for me 100% of everything is covered. What say ye? My warranty is up in 1 month that is the main driver. Not sure Jag can make me the same offer.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JagGate, I have driven the CT6 and honestly, I would stick with the Jag. I like the Jag a lot better. Besides, there are too many Caddy's out there and would be too "dime a dozen". The Jag is not something that you see all over the place.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with Thermo. The Jag just has a little more panache. Caddy not so much. I would have considered the caddy having had good luck with GM in the past but I just didn't care for it's looks compared to the Jag.
The caddy could be a good deal, though if you don't plan to keep it.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

JagGate,

How many miles on your 2014 XJL? My guess based on what you said is under 10K/year, so around 40K miles. That's low mileage and if you're considering leasing the Caddy because you're concerned about out-of-warranty repair costs for the XJ, here's some food for thought.

At $350/month for 48 months your lease payments total $16,800. At the end of the lease you're out $16,800 and have zero equity. Suppose you bought an all-inclusive extended service contract with zero deductible for 48 months and and additional 50,000 miles. I don't know how much that would actually cost but, for argument's sake, let's assume $6,800 (which may be high). So, at the end of that same 48 month period, you're ahead by $10,000 plus the value of your XJL. Plus, the insurance should cost less for the XJL since it's 4 years older than the Caddy.

I didn't take other variables, such as fuel economy and routine maintenance, into account or the differences in features, comfort, performance, etc.

Or maybe it's an emotional thing because you simply want a new car.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on what your experience has been with your XJL. If it has been trouble-free and reliable, then I absolutely agree with Stuart S and, as Freddy J pointed out, the Cadillac will never have the same panache as the Jaguar. On the other hand, if your Jaguar XJL experience has been anything like mine, then I can certainly understand and appreciate your desire for peace of mind and vehicular reliability. I traded my XJL on a Cadillac XTS after experiencing a second catestrophic engine failure while on an out-of-town trip (the first was covered under warranty). The only reason I opted for an XTS over a CT6 is that the dealership where I was had only one CT6 in stock and it was a stripped down base model. The XTS I purchased is highly-optioned with most of the features to which I was accustomed. My wife and I took a trip in it Mother's Day weekend and it was a pure joy to travel with no nagging doubts in the back of my mind. I do miss the massaging seats, but otherwise I am perfectly satisfied with my Cadillac and it actually has a better ride than the XJL. In addressing Stuart S's value reasoning, have you explored purchasing rather than leasing the Cadillac? At least, in that way, you would have some equity in return for your money. In my case, both vehicles were purchased outright without financing and my Jaguar was three years older than yours, but I'm convinced when it's all said and done, my Cadillac will probably not have depreciated any lower in three years than my XJL would have in the same time period.

Dwayne

Last edited by dga57; 05-25-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't want a Cadillac for free after the way they treated my wife on her CTS coupe. They could never get the wind noise out of the driver's window. Their solution was to send a so called field engineer to the dealer who drove it and proclaimed by e-mail after he left the dealership that everything was fine and 'withing tolerance." I suppose it was within tolerance of deaf people. Customer service at its finest. After threatening the dealer with putting big lemons on the side of it and contacting the attorney general to start lemon law proceedings the dealer put her in an ATS but screwed her on the lease. We solved the problem by getting her an XF. General Motors can go to hell in a leaky rowboat.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM

My Jag is very low mileage only 22k miles. No issues to speak of ever but with the warranty ending I am concerned about any repairs. I have considered getting the extended Jag CPO warranty and am still looking into that. From what I hear though this is still an aftermarket insurance policy with all the BS that comes with that.

With leasing the Caddy, I am losing/paying less than the car will depreciate during that same timeframe. So realistically, I am not losing anything. The lease is 1/2 the purchase cost which is what is looking good for me. I'll have a brand-new car that is under full service and warranty for 4 years. In 4 years I would turn it in and get another new car. I normally am against leasing but Caddy terms are pretty good so it has me interested. If Jaguar had a similar lease for a new Jag I might consider that. The biggest issue with Jag is the absolute horrible service in this area. Jag doesn't seem to care at all either they simply allow dealerships to do whatever they want. I think Cadillac stands behind their product much better (at least in this area).

I still don't have my car back after over a week. My service manager is allergic to the phone for some reason. I plan on picking it up today.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

I have the extended warranty offered through Jaguar and it has paid everything that has needed repair without a deductible. In order to get it you have to have at least 1k and 1 month left on the factory warranty. The pricing is up to the dealer and varies. Mine was for 6 years that are added onto the factory warrant and 100k that is total miles on the odometer and I paid $3800 for it but have seen it as high as $4800. As we have 3 dealers in Atlanta (all three owned by the same company) I shopped them and found the Buckhead dealer offered me a better price. The F and I person usually handles the transaction.

Stuart S (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagGate
My Jag is very low mileage only 22k miles. No issues to speak of ever but with the warranty ending I am concerned about any repairs. I have considered getting the extended Jag CPO warranty and am still looking into that. From what I hear though this is still an aftermarket insurance policy with all the BS that comes with that.
Because your XJL is very low mileage, it has depreciated less and is worth more.

Originally Posted by JagGate
With leasing the Caddy, I am losing/paying less than the car will depreciate during that same timeframe. So realistically, I am not losing anything. The lease is 1/2 the purchase cost which is what is looking good for me. I'll have a brand-new car that is under full service and warranty for 4 years. In 4 years I would turn it in and get another new car. I normally am against leasing but Caddy terms are pretty good so it has me interested. If Jaguar had a similar lease for a new Jag I might consider that. The biggest issue with Jag is the absolute horrible service in this area. Jag doesn't seem to care at all either they simply allow dealerships to do whatever they want. I think Cadillac stands behind their product much better (at least in this area).
Great sales pitch, but absolutely not true! Your 2014 XJL has already taken the biggest depreciation hit over the last 4 years, and you still have a substantial residual value left. At the same rate of use, I think it's doubtful that your XJL will depreciate another $16,800 over the next 4 years when it will be at 44,000 miles, particularly if it's been properly maintained and repaired by a Jaguar dealer.

Remember that the car salesman is a pro, and has the answers to everything to convince you to buy or lease that new car from him now, before the special factory deals expire. You are at a disadvantage because he sells and leases cars every day, whereas you do it once every 4 years.

I recommend that you keep your XJL and buy the 4-year, zero deductible extended service contract from your Jaguar dealer. It will cost you far less than $16,800 and you'll be ahead by that difference plus the value of your XJL that you still own 4 years from now. At the end of the Cadillac lease you will have nothing.

Stuart

Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

It has been my experience that a Cadillac warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Because your XJL is very low mileage, it has depreciated less and is worth more.

Great sales pitch, but absolutely not true! Your 2014 XJL has already taken the biggest depreciation hit over the last 4 years, and you still have a substantial residual value left. At the same rate of use, I think it's doubtful that your XJL will depreciate another $16,800 over the next 4 years when it will be at 44,000 miles, particularly if it's been properly maintained and repaired by a Jaguar dealer.

Remember that the car salesman is a pro, and has the answers to everything to convince you to buy or lease that new car from him now, before the special factory deals expire. You are at a disadvantage because he sells and leases cars every day, whereas you do it once every 4 years.

I recommend that you keep your XJL and buy the 4-year, zero deductible extended service contract from your Jaguar dealer. It will cost you far less than $16,800 and you'll be ahead by that difference plus the value of your XJL that you still own 4 years from now. At the end of the Cadillac lease you will have nothing.

Stuart
I haven't been to Cadillac yet my plans are to go this Friday and take a test drive.

I did pick up the car last night and I am not sure what all they did. They said they replaced the overhead console for some reason. Something about the airbag light was traced to a loose connection up in that area. And also the mic was not working which is news to me as I didn't know I had a mic. They also connected my dash cam back incorrectly it is now on full-time power instead of switched power so I will have to fix that. While they were up there they said they tightened up all the sunroof bolts.

I was also told (and is on the bill) that they replaced "the batteries". I looked at them and it does not look like they replaced them. Where is the date code or how can I tell if they have been replaced? When I got in the "low battery" message was being displayed but that may have been due to the camera running constantly.

They totally ignored the mess around the nav screen but I didn't notice until I was 1/2 way home. Oh and the oil change was back at the $169 price. My total bill was $190 not sure what the extra was for. They said they drove it and could not reproduce the cobblestone feel. It is intermittent anyway so that was expected.

So they had the car for 2 weeks and don't seem to have done much at all accept for wash it and the oil change. It actually looked really good they did a much better job than last time. I think it was sitting for at least a few days though since the windows all had grime on them (like from rain).

Old 06-03-2018, 02:51 PM

I took my test drive and the Caddy does drive smooth much smoother than the XJ. But counting Caddies you can't go 1/2 a mile without seeing several. Common as dirt really. Also Caddy really cheaps out on a few things that a $90k car should not. You can only get leather seating "surfaces" for one. They also shortened the maintenance included with purchase to 3/36 instead of the entire warranty period (4/50). Sirius is also only included for 3 months. Our 2018 Jeep included a full year of Sirius. And of course there is the "calling all suckers" total ripoff OnStar that they push like their paychecks depend on it. Really they just won't shut up about it. Makes me feel like they think I am a rube. And to be sure , it isn't the money but just the cheapness for no reason. Oh also says 35% of the parts are Chinese. I just don't think Cadillac is worth what they ask for it. For the same price, I could trade my XJ for a brand new XJ. I wish Jag had the same lease offer Caddy has.

Oh well, I think I will keep the XJ for awhile!

Old 06-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Good decision! As I explained in my posts #4 and #9, above, it makes the most sense from a financial analysis viewpoint for you to keep your 2014 XJL and buy a 4-year, zero
deductible extended service contract from your Jaguar dealer instead of leasing a new car for $350 per month for 48 months.

With only 22K miles, your XJL is barely broken in. There is simply no other luxury car with the same combination of exclusivity, style, performance, materials (real wood and leather) and workmanship that you can drive for less than the 2014 XJL you already own. Buying that extended service contract gives you the peace of mind knowing that there won't be any big repair surprises in the future. And with that low mileage your maintenance costs should be reasonable.

Nevertheless, improvements in technology may override the financial aspects and cause you to want a new car.

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-03-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Good decision! As I explained in my posts #4 and #9, above, it makes the most sense from a financial analysis viewpoint for you to keep your 2014 XJL and buy a 4-year, zero
deductible extended service contract from your Jaguar dealer instead of leasing a new car for $350 per month for 48 months.

With only 22K miles, your XJL is barely broken in. There is simply no other luxury car with the same combination of exclusivity, style, performance, materials (real wood and leather) and workmanship that you can drive for less than the 2014 XJL you already own. Buying that extended service contract gives you the peace of mind knowing that there won't be any big repair surprises in the future. And with that low mileage your maintenance costs should be reasonable.

Nevertheless, improvements in technology may override the financial aspects and cause you to want a new car.
The CT6 had 2 things that I liked. The review mirror could be set to use the rear camera output. VERY cool. And it had a wireless charging pad for the phone along with an HDMI input to the system. It still was too small though. Seemed smaller in the back than the XJL even not counting the extra L leg room. 2 adults max could fit in the back. XTS bodywise actually looks better than the CT6. When I saw it sideview it looked a lot like the XJ. CT6 really is just a box.

I wish actually that Jag would come out with a larger SUV.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

A larger Jag SUV is called a Range Rover.

JagGate (06-04-2018)