Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ ( X351 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/)
-   -   Steering vibration during parking (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/steering-vibration-during-parking-75775/)

f1champ 06-26-2012 09:48 AM

Steering vibration during parking

Hello there,

Lately, I have noticed vibration on the steering only during parking (cold and warm car, hot day). Is that normal with 1300 miles?

Thanks,

Shadab

HouTexJag 06-27-2012 03:48 PM

I had some vibration in the steering wheel while turning at low speeds on another car I owned and it was a problem with the belt for the power steering pump.

Holein1 06-28-2012 06:07 PM

I get the same thing when I turn the wheel while I back up.

jbyeatman 06-28-2012 07:21 PM

Yes, I have that issue occasionally as well. Need to remember to tell the dealer when I take it in next.

XJcat 06-29-2012 02:35 PM

Very good chance your wheels are out of true.
I live in NYC and the wheels that come with the car are terrible. Two front went within 2 months and one rear about 4 months later.
I have owned several different luxury cars and these wheels and tires have given me more problems than any other. I am sorry I did not take the tire and wheel warranty but an extra $0995 on the day of picking up the car seemed like a rip off and I never had any wheel or tire problems in 20+ years.

ExpatJag 07-01-2012 02:14 AM

My toe and camber was off and it made my front tires wear down to the cords on the inside of the tires. You might want to get the alignment checked.

gostratusgray 07-01-2012 10:57 AM

I've gone through three fronts in 13 k miles. I've spent nearly as much on tires as gasoline.
Is that the price you pay for a slick high end car like this with five hundred horses?

HouTexJag 07-01-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by gostratusgray (Post 537699)
I've gone through three fronts in 13 k miles. I've spent nearly as much on tires as gasoline.
Is that the price you pay for a slick high end car like this with five hundred horses?

Wow, that's sure low mileage for fronts. Were they wearing unevenly? Have you checked the alignment?

gostratusgray 07-01-2012 08:22 PM

Nail in sidewall at about 5k. Supposedly aligned at dealer when replaced. 8 k later, both tires in front had to be replaced...by different dealer. I asked if a bad realignment was to blame. They said no, you must have hit a pothole.

Baloney.

baby.my.never

HouTexJag 07-01-2012 09:45 PM

Sounds like you're having bad luck with road hazards. When you hit a pothole and the sidewall is broken and a bubble comes up, your tire is toast. Happened to me regularly with real low profile tires on 20" rims on a Maserati QP I owned--hasn't occurred with the XJ and I've hit a few whoppers.

gostratusgray 07-01-2012 10:30 PM

The thing is...I never hit potholes. Its not like I live in downtown new york or dc. I really have never hit any major road hazard of any kind larger than a dragonfly, so their pothole theory doesn't wash.

Pa.Bill 08-03-2012 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by XJcat (Post 536837)
Very good chance your wheels are out of true.
I live in NYC and the wheels that come with the car are terrible. Two front went within 2 months and one rear about 4 months later.
I have owned several different luxury cars and these wheels and tires have given me more problems than any other. I am sorry I did not take the tire and wheel warranty but an extra $0995 on the day of picking up the car seemed like a rip off and I never had any wheel or tire problems in 20+ years.

Your post bring back memories of the Streets of NYC and I could never guess which borough had more pothole then the other. I have been driving since 16y/o. I don't see any improvement.

As for the vibration in steering wheel. If turning all the way to the stops, it will give you that vibration and squeekeee sounds. I don't think it's a 'big' problem. Some belt grip spay and then have the dealer check it out later.
But they could be out of line as xjcat said. you see wear on one side of your front tires?

f1champ 08-05-2012 04:07 PM

Thank you everyone. I went to the dealer after examination they said it was normal (hopefully they are correct)

amcdonal86 08-20-2012 09:49 PM

The X350s also suffered from this problem. I spent countless hours changing the PS fluid to no avail. Definitely an annoying chattering feeling!

bimori 10-21-2012 09:13 PM

Wanted to chime in on this. I'm new to jag, came from Lexus. I also noticed that there is a vibration during parking. seems to occur when you turn the steering all the way down with the car in drive. If you turn the wheel all the way down with the car in reverse, there's no vibration. Is this normal with the xjl? or with jaguar in general?

f1champ 10-22-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bimori (Post 605196)
Wanted to chime in on this. I'm new to jag, came from Lexus. I also noticed that there is a vibration during parking. seems to occur when you turn the steering all the way down with the car in drive. If you turn the wheel all the way down with the car in reverse, there's no vibration. Is this normal with the xjl? or with jaguar in general?

" seems to occur when you turn the steering all the way down with the car in drive."

During parking or driving? I only get mild vibration during parallel parking

bimori 10-22-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by f1champ (Post 605579)
" seems to occur when you turn the steering all the way down with the car in drive."

During parking or driving? I only get mild vibration during parallel parking

I actually mean during parking! You are right, it is slight and quick.

tommyd 11-11-2012 08:31 PM

The following TSB might address your concerns:

JTB00260NAS1 - Steering Remains in Highway Assist Mode at Low Vehicle Speed

bimori 11-12-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by tommyd (Post 618861)
The following TSB might address your concerns:

JTB00260NAS1 - Steering Remains in Highway Assist Mode at Low Vehicle Speed

Is this a new TSB? Any info on the vin # for vehicles affected?

tommyd 11-12-2012 05:27 PM

I do not have access to that detailed info. You would need to ask the SA at your dealership or maybe one of the techs on the forum will chime in.