XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trunk will not close

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts
Default Trunk will not close

This just started after I had my battery replaced at the dealership. I have no problem opening the trunk either with button on back of car, button on dash, or button on key fob. Closing with the button in the trunk lid is intermittent. If the trunk is first opened and the close switch is pressed nothing happens, but if I manually close the trunk and then open again with any button then the lid close button works. I tried the learning process of holding the close button for 10 seconds but made no difference. Seems to happen on the first cycle only and I've only tried it with the engine off so far. Any ideas?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Robert,

Isn't Pete at Northpoint your service rep? He may have the answer. Let us know.

My guess is the same as yours -disconnecting the battery caused the trunk to lose its memory (like so many other systems/modules in the XJ) and needs to be reset. Since you tried a reset with the engine off, you might want to try again with the engine in the ON position (without running), and if that doesn't work try again with the engine running. I couldn't find anything in the Owner's Handbook or online. When all else fails, ask the dealer.

Stuart

Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Thanks Stuart. The issue seems to have resolved itself. And yes it's Pete in service and Kieth and Mat the super technicians. They are a great team.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Glad to know it fixed itself. But I think your XJ resurrected the ghost of Lucas Electric ...