XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, xdave, no i dont have as i just tried it at a breaker, then gave it back. Today 1 more 2013 TS is arriving. Will try it. And let you know

Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

If you can get a photo of the label, and of it in the donor car with the AC controls, both will help to date/spec it to see if we can identify why there may be a problem. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Additional Info

I have upgraded my 2011MY XJ(US) touch screen with one from a 2014MY. I'm happy to report that most functions work as expected. However there are a couple of issues with the Sirius screen. Jaguar changed the Sirius radio in 2014. They replaced the "Channel List" button with "Instant Replay" and the "Add Song" button with "Favorites". They must have reworked the software because the "Browse" button no longer works, all it does is display an empty screen. The "Add Song" is basically the same as "Favorites" and, of course, the "Instant Replay" does not work. There is also an issue wih the presets on the Sirius screen. They do not remember the text descriptions, instead they display a generic "Ch". They do, however, remember the actual channel, so if you press a preset you have programmed it will switch to the desired channel. Another odd thing about the Sirius presets is that when you try to store a channel, it will not appear to be successful if it is already programmed to that channel. If you store a different channel it will work as expected, even displaying the text description. The problem is that when you turn the car off and exit, the next time you turn the car on, the preset text is replaced by the generic "Ch". Note that if you turn off the car and then immediately turn it back on the text descriptions are still there. I assume this is due to retained accessory power, you must exit the car to completely turn off all power.

Other than the Sirius issues, it works well, I find the larger text much easier to see in the daylight and the buttons are larger and more responsive. There is a bonus in the Navigation screen, you do not have to reply to the "Acknowledge" message. It has been replaced with a "Caution" screen which times out after about 10 seconds, so there is no need to press any key. There is a key to press if you do not want to wait the 10 seconds. Another improvement is the overall look of the Navigation section. It has a completely new "Menu" and the buttons are larger and easier to press.

Overall I am very happy with the change. I find that I can live with the broken Sirius functions because I remember the presets and I rarely use the "Browse" button. I will be watching for a Sirius tuner from a 2014MY to replace my existing tuner in the hopes that the new tuner will fix the preset and browse issues.

I have included some photos below. The first 2 are the product label and Main Menu screen of the original TS. The remaining are from the upgraded TS, including the used part label showing the doner vehicle information.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0477.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0495.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0484.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0485.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0486.jpg  

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0487.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0488.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0490.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0491.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0494.jpg  

Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0492.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0493.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0481.jpg   Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display-img_0482.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
AdrianM (11-20-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sorapp
I have upgraded my 2011MY XJ(US) touch screen with one from a 2014MY. I'm happy to report that most functions work as expected. However there are a couple of issues with the Sirius screen. Jaguar changed the Sirius radio in 2014. They replaced the "Channel List" button with "Instant Replay" and the "Add Song" button with "Favorites". They must have reworked the software because the "Browse" button no longer works, all it does is display an empty screen. The "Add Song" is basically the same as "Favorites" and, of course, the "Instant Replay" does not work. There is also an issue wih the presets on the Sirius screen. They do not remember the text descriptions, instead they display a generic "Ch". They do, however, remember the actual channel, so if you press a preset you have programmed it will switch to the desired channel. Another odd thing about the Sirius presets is that when you try to store a channel, it will not appear to be successful if it is already programmed to that channel. If you store a different channel it will work as expected, even displaying the text description. The problem is that when you turn the car off and exit, the next time you turn the car on, the preset text is replaced by the generic "Ch". Note that if you turn off the car and then immediately turn it back on the text descriptions are still there. I assume this is due to retained accessory power, you must exit the car to completely turn off all power.

Other than the Sirius issues, it works well, I find the larger text much easier to see in the daylight and the buttons are larger and more responsive. There is a bonus in the Navigation screen, you do not have to reply to the "Acknowledge" message. It has been replaced with a "Caution" screen which times out after about 10 seconds, so there is no need to press any key. There is a key to press if you do not want to wait the 10 seconds. Another improvement is the overall look of the Navigation section. It has a completely new "Menu" and the buttons are larger and easier to press.

Overall I am very happy with the change. I find that I can live with the broken Sirius functions because I remember the presets and I rarely use the "Browse" button. I will be watching for a Sirius tuner from a 2014MY to replace my existing tuner in the hopes that the new tuner will fix the preset and browse issues.

I have included some photos below. The first 2 are the product label and Main Menu screen of the original TS. The remaining are from the upgraded TS, including the used part label showing the doner vehicle information.
Where did you get your display from?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 PM

I found it on E-Bay from LKQ Online.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My system failed under the extended warranty.
They cleaned and reinstalled all data. Its now twice as fast
as it was. ( normal speed now) Works great and the cost was 'Zero'
Just had to re-enter all music and addresses.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have dual view at the moment but I don't like the lower effective resolution so could I fit a non dual-view screen without having to code it to the car or would it just display garbage?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

It may work because it uses the CCF to determine the vehicle features on start up, but you will almost certainly have anomalies. For example when the TV is on and the vehicle is moving you will probably see a warning to turn on dual view, which you won't be able to. You will have still the hard button though which sends a CAN message out to the TV module and IAM (on the earlier cars that doubles as the DVD unit) to tell it to output the video at half resolution, so you may see a stripy image on the screen depending on which module generates the actual image data.

To avoid that you'd need to replace the AC control pack with a non-dual view version and edit the CCF to change from the dual-view touchscreen to the normal one to avoid the configuration conflicts. After that you would have an OEM non-dual-view car as it would have left the factory.

What is the reason you want to change? I know you mention the resolution, but what are you hoping to gain more resolution for? The menus and rear camera will be exactly the same (the camera is poor resolution), and the sat nav graphics are vector anyway so you would have to look very carefully for any improvement. The only noticable bit should be watching DVDs, but as nice as the XJ interior is I still prefer to do that in my living room!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:47 AM

It's purely for the looks. No functional reason.
I was in a non-dual-view model of the same year a few days ago and the screen when displaying the nav just looked sharper. Dual-view seems to make the display look blurred.
However, seeing as I have the button I guess I might as well retain it.

Now to locate a 2013 screen somewhere in the UK for sensible money......

Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, dual view screens are more blurred. I noticed this. My car is single view, my friend is dual view. And his screen is not as sharp.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Good luck! If you want me to check the pictures to make sure it is compatible and not one from a different model that has been mislisted, feel free to PM me with the auction number. (I promise not to bid if it is still open!)

If you are replacing the AC controls (you don't need to - you can still access all the features from your 10-11 one), ensure you get the correct spec for your car. The three to look out for are heated front windscreen (will be blanked on non-equipped models), dual view, and it should retain the lock/unlock buttons which moved to the doors in either 2015 or 2016MYs.
Hi Dave,

Great info. I have found a breaker selling a 2013 screen for £200. How can I PM you a picture so you can be kind enough to check it is the right screen for my 2011 XJ Portfolio?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Pana89. I think your account here is too new to send PMs as I can't send you one, so I have sent you an email through the forums instead with my email address on which you can use to send any photos or info for me to look at.

Pana89 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 AM

Hi Everyone,
With superb help and advice from xdave I have fitted my 2013 screen into my 2011 XJ Portfolio.

Results are that everything works superb and the screen is a MASSIVE improvement on the original screen.
The only slight downside is that the Sat Nav does not work on the dash left side instrument (see attached picture).

I get the nest street or junction name but no picture....
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this???

Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 AM

And just adding to the superb tutorial from xdave, i have just attached some pix so it makes it even easier for those of you wanting to do the upgrade:

1. Remove the facia trim in this order.

Repeat on the other side and it should just pop off.

2. Remove 4 x Torx screws from the AC control unit and pop it towards you a little to aid in removing the screen easily. (as below

3. Next remove the 4 x Torx screws from the original screen and unplug the various harnesses. (these are all colour coded so wont take long to re attach to the new screen.

Here is a picture of the original 2011 screen:

Replaced with the new 2013 screen:

All in all a great improvement on the 2011 screen. Just a shame that the Sat Nav does not work on the dash.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pana89:
AdrianM (11-20-2016), ArtyH (08-25-2016), Del Toro Armando (11-18-2018)
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Guy,

The sat nav image in the IP is generated by the TS and sent to the TS. Sadly the TS is sending the wrong image to the IP, and I suspect that you've just found an incompatibility we haven't found yet with later 2013MY cars.

Some quick background as some of this discussion happened off-forum:

The screen pictured above is a DW93-10E889-AF, which should be C2D31302. **93 is the prefix for XJ parts of all (post-Ford ownership) model years AFAIK*. With Ford the first letters represent the year it was designed, and the JLR parts appear to use the same approach (note I say "appear" as I cannot be completely sure). AW93 is marked on all parts on (or unchanged from) the launch 2010 model. BW93 appears to be used on parts changed/introduced during 2011. CW93 appears to be from 2012 changes. DW93 would be 2013, EW93 2014, etc. Note that only represents the year of the change/introduction and not when it was actually made or the model year/MY of the vehicle as changes are made to the cars all the time.

* if you know differently please let me know!

Guy obtained the VIN of the vehicle the screen was removed from, which we looked up on TOPIx to discover it was a 2013MY (VIN ranges V39427 > V58804 are all 2013MY, with no published changes to the satnav/IP interface that I can find in the WSM).

The replacement TS I currently have in my vehicle also came from a 2013MY car in that same VIN range, but it was towards the start, and Guy's was pretty much bang in the middle (V49***).
My TS WERS was CW93-*-DB which I think makes it a part RFM in 2012. It was manufactured Feb 2012.
As mentioned the TS above is DW93-*-AF which I think makes it RFM in 2013 and it was manufactured Jan 2013.

The image problem with the IP sat nav instructions looks exactly the same as what I found with a 2015MY TS. That was because the IP displays full screen instructions on that model year (and 2014MY). AFAIK it was not available during the 2013MY though?

Assuming the VIN given for Guy's screen was correct then it seems there is another incompatibility here. It is frustrating because I have fitted a screen manufacturered in 2013 to a friend's 2011 X351 without this issue. I do not have photos of the rear to get the WERS number, although I have asked if he would be able to snap one for me.

Therefore for those following along from the start who haven't upgraded yet, a VIN < V49*** is probably needed, and one with a manufacture date of 2012 looks to be a fairly safe bet. Once I have the photo from my friend's car above I will try and narrow that down.

With screens made in 2011 and 2012 I am not aware of any incompatibilities.
With 2013 screens it appears there may be incompatibilities with those manufactured during 2013.
With 2014 and 2015 (and very likely any later ones too) the sat nav in IP will not show the image, only the name, exactly as Guy pictured above. Mssage seats will not work because the interface changed. The SDARS/sat radio present names are not retained (although I believe the presets are).

Incidentally, Guy changed a DV screen for a SV one. It is noteworthy that it appears to otherwise work (I don't believe the sat nav issue has anything to do with that). So to answer rilot's question from the other day - it appears to be possible to switch from DV to SV without needing to edit the CCF. I recall that Guy does not have a TV tuner on his car, but if he could test with a DVD to check the video still works, and maybe press the dual view button to see if you get an error of it it just silently gets ignored, that would be really helpful information to share.

The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
Angus (08-24-2016), ArtyH (08-25-2016), rilot (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
Hi Guy,

Incidentally, Guy changed a DV screen for a SV one. It is noteworthy that it appears to otherwise work (I don't believe the sat nav issue has anything to do with that). So to answer rilot's question from the other day - it appears to be possible to switch from DV to SV without needing to edit the CCF. I recall that Guy does not have a TV tuner on his car, but if he could test with a DVD to check the video still works, and maybe press the dual view button to see if you get an error of it it just silently gets ignored, that would be really helpful information to share.
DVD works fine. Pressing the DV button does nothing....no errors or lines.
I think it is just silently ignored.

Massage seats work fine. Heating and cooling seats works fine.
AFAIK the ONLY issue is the lack of Mini map in the IP.

ArtyH (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks for doing all the work on this. So, it seems that a 2012 screen is probably the best bet to get the improved interface and better touch response?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Not to muddy the water, if you refer to my post above, #23, you will see that I have installed a 2014MY TS in my 2011MY X351. As my photos show, the map displays in the left area of the instrument display. I'm wondering if there might be another issue with Pan89s installation that we missed. I'm interested because I'm still looking to make a change to deal with my satellite issue and until now I thought a TS from a 2013MY would have solved it.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, that is interesting.

Guy/Pana89, can you remove your TS again and check the connections are all secure (particularly the blue and white LVDS cables at the top).

Also can you remove the IAM (the DVD slot box below the screen, behind the ICP/AC panel) and disconnect the cables, leave for 30 seconds, then reconnect again to hard reboot it. As far as I can tell the TS loads the MAP data from the IAM HDD and sends the map image back to it which is then sent on to the instrument cluster.

If that changes nothing, then I suspect a software difference rather than hardware is the cause. It is possible to flash different versions of the software onto the TS, however it is fraught with risk as without the internal engineering knowledge you have no way of knowing when/if/how the hardware changed.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sorapp
Not to muddy the water, if you refer to my post above, #23, you will see that I have installed a 2014MY TS in my 2011MY X351. As my photos show, the map displays in the left area of the instrument display. I'm wondering if there might be another issue with Pan89s installation that we missed. I'm interested because I'm still looking to make a change to deal with my satellite issue and until now I thought a TS from a 2013MY would have solved it.
Hmmm, everything works on mine including the massage seats apart from the mini map in the IP.....
very frustrating!
I have attached pictures below to show what my new TS looks like in the various menus.

Again here's the image of the mini map in the IP:

And the ACTUAL map on the TS at the same time:

So obviously a problem......

I have the car booked in for a service on Friday and will ask Jaguar if they can upgrade or downgrade the software for me.
Will report progress on here....

Cheers all

Quick Reply: Upgrading the 2010/2011 slow touch screen display