XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Used Cars and Salt Deterioration? East Coast/West Coast...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Cars and Salt Deterioration? East Coast/West Coast...

I haven't bought many cars and with the exception of 1 vehicle I've always bought in my home region. I live in Idaho and we have pretty warm summers (this week the high temperatures range from 90 to 103) and it is a very arid/dry climate.

In looking at a used XJ at my local Jaguar dealer, the salesrep mentioned that they don't buy cars from the east coast as they tend to wear out here due to the heavy use of salt back east.

Is this a real concern, or something that may or may not happen? If it is legit, then I will steer away from doing that, but if it was a sales tactic, then I'd like to know that as well.

Sorry for the vagueness of the question - this is the first I'm learning of this (potentially) and I'm looking at a used XJ from CT right now...!

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I lived in NJ until i was 30 and bought all my cars from that area. I even bought an RS6 in Texas that was from NYC, and that was never a concern of mine. Yes, they do salt the roads like crazy, but unless you are buying a Malaise-era Diplomat, I wouldnt really be concerned with it. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like something that was in an accident and not repaired or repainted correctly. The salt can absolutely tear through bear metal without missing a beat. I would have no concern buying a used XJ from CT or any Northeastern states.

And just to assuage your fears a little more. My parents moved from NJ to AZ and brought their cars with them. Neither was particularly a stellar vehicle, but both went to, and survived in, Arizona for years.

The following users liked this post:
Vorpel (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Thanks Hank! That is good to hear.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Aren't our frames/bodies some sort of magnesium alloy? In any case, rust is not a concern of any modern car no matter where it is. Salesman BS.

Vorpel (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The current XJ body is constructed of aluminium just like my car, which is the previous model XJ. Whilst corrosion can be an issue with aluminium, it is far better than steel at resisting it. However, these cars do have front and rear subframes constructed from steel, and it is these that could rust through over time and miles. Apart from these components there isn't much to be concerned about, and so far, rust has not been an issue here in the UK, and we also put loads of salt on our roads in winter. My car is 11 years old now and has no significant corrosion at all, and has passed its roadworthiness tests, (aka MOT) every year since it was 3 years old when the tests are obligatory. Aluminium can suffer from filiform and crevice corrosion,but whilst unsightly, is not a risk to the cars integrity.

Vorpel (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Slightly off topic but what is the warranty for body corrosion on these cars?? I know the corrosion warranty does not cover the sun roof frame for whatever reason but I know there is a decent warranty against corrosion.

Being that the car is backed with corrosion warranty from the factory I would not hesitate to buy it!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM

I just joined this community and I've got to say that I'm impressed and greatly appreciative of all the responses to my various posts. Wow!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad55chevy
Slightly off topic but what is the warranty for body corrosion on these cars??
It may vary by sales/regulatory region, but in the UK the structural corrosion warranty is 6 years from the first registration date (whereas the all-inclusive warranty is 3 years in the UK).

To summarise it covers any structural corrosion that perforates through a structural piece/panel. It must be structural, so if a hole forms in your door panel then that is excluded. It does not cover purely cosmetic corrosion, for example the common issue with the X350 aluminium bodies where galvanic corrosion occurred on the rolled seams of doors and the trunk lid was not covered under the corrosion warranty (but would be under the shorter all-inclusive warranty). That is why the roof frame corrosion was not covered after the all-inclusive warranty expired as it is really only a cosmetic part.

Any corrosion to steel parts like the sub-frames, although you may consider them structural, would also be excluded as corrosion there would be considered normal wear. (You might have some leverage if something snapped at only 6 months old, but at these ages no chance.)

I live in the UK and like Fraser mentions we heavily salt our roads on any sign that ice may form. I've taken a spotlessly clean car out for a single trip to work and arrived with a thick film of salty road dirt covering every surface. On my oldest present cars (the X350s) I have not had to replace any steel parts due to corrosion. That's not to say they are not corroded (they are) but not enough to warrant replacement after 15 years in service. A lot of the X351 parts are the same so I am expecting similar longevity. (Actually it may be better as the X351 is better protected by its under trays.)

Vorpel (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Where I live, they heavily salt roads. I have a dedicated winter car that I oil spray every fall. Even then, I have to periodically replace these winter cars as they rust through.

Some cars are better than other at surviving winter salt. Some owners are better than others at protecting cars from rust. However, all cars will suffer rust given enough exposure. Even mostly-plastic Saturns can rust through as they have enough metal in them. The worst are Mazda 3, these would have holes through fenders and doors and there is a local body shop specializing in anti-perforation warranty claims. Working on cars that were through salt is also tough as every bolt ceases, and many mechanics outside of rust belt would simply refuse to work on cars like that.

Now, would a low mile almost new car have enough rust accumulation to warrant passing it over? Put it on a lift and have a good look at it. You can see it. Look at the bottom of the doors. Look at places body panels join. Look at tail lights. Look in the engine bay. Look around edges of sun roof. Look at the hood. Look at exhaust.

Vorpel (07-11-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Remember rust NEVER sleeps

Old 08-23-2018, 02:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,795 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
..... it covers any structural corrosion that perforates through a structural piece/panel. It must be structural, so if a hole forms in your door panel then that is excluded. It does not cover purely cosmetic corrosion .....
It's not quite that restrictive in the UK warranty. Perforation is not a pre-requisite and cosmetic corrosion is included with caveats:
  1. failure to maintain paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with JLR recommendations.
  2. failure to promptly rectify and paint or corrosion damage.
My 2014 XK still has 2 years of the 6 year Paint Surface and Corrosion Warranty remaining. At the last service, the Technician noticed a small patch of corrosion on the roof and another next to a front wing vent. The Service Advisor photographed this and sent a claim to Jaguar. The claim has been approved and the vehicle booked in for a week for rectification.

Graham

Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
It's not quite that restrictive in the UK warranty. Perforation is not a pre-requisite and cosmetic corrosion is included with caveats:
  1. failure to maintain paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with JLR recommendations.
  2. failure to promptly rectify and paint or corrosion damage.
My 2014 XK still has 2 years of the 6 year Paint Surface and Corrosion Warranty remaining. At the last service, the Technician noticed a small patch of corrosion on the roof and another next to a front wing vent. The Service Advisor photographed this and sent a claim to Jaguar. The claim has been approved and the vehicle booked in for a week for rectification.

Graham
How long is the repair warrantied for? I would be more concerned about that then the factory finish.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Well it's up to you and yes the newer cars a FAR better at resisting it but as the man said "rust never sleeps". Although since our cars are Aluminum I guess we should say "Corrosion never sleeps"?
I always shop for cars in non-salt area's only. I am a car nut and tend to keep cars longer than most. So it's important to me.