XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Windshield water sensor not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield water sensor not working

Hi guys
On my 2011 Xj i have my windshield water always empty even when its full on my screen, so i think its the sensor that is not working or its disconnected. Anybody know hos to repair this ))
Thanks to all

Last edited by loulizjag; 08-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

If you really do have a full washer bottle (so not a leak) then it does sound like a faulty sensor. To get to the bottle remove the RH road wheel and the wheel arch liner. all the screws are visible (plus some 10mm nuts at the rear). The pump is on the bottom and the sensor is behind the bottle about 6" up. Refer to the attached drawing for the location (pump shown removed).

If you plug the hole, or drain the bottle, you can activate the switch manually to see if your warning lamp changes. If it does it's likely the switch, if not post back and I'll look up the wiring schematic so you can test that.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield water sensor not working-large.jpg  
Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Ok great, i have some time this weekend to look it up. I'll tell you
If its the switch you have the ref number?
Thanks

Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The sensor is C2S4061. Same as the last XJ (X350), X-Type (X400), XF (original X250 version), and your XK. Should be stocked by most dealers at around £20. Do not buy from eBay - they are priced around 300% the dealer cost.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Ok thanks. I'll look it up and get back to you
thanks

Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get to the level sensor without taking the wheel off - just turn the steering to full right lock, and remove the clips from the back of the wheel arch liner. You can then reach in through the small gap to the water level sensor. It's a bit fiddly, so I'd suggest doing it with the water bottle empty as you won't be able to plug the hole.

Dave, thanks for confirming the part number - I shook and tapped my switch until it worked again, but I'm sure I'll need to get back in and change the part before long.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM

All worked well, did not relive the tire and ordered a new sensor. No more problems. Thanks to all helped

Old 11-07-2020, 12:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
If you really do have a full washer bottle (so not a leak) then it does sound like a faulty sensor. To get to the bottle remove the RH road wheel and the wheel arch liner. all the screws are visible (plus some 10mm nuts at the rear). The pump is on the bottom and the sensor is behind the bottle about 6" up. Refer to the attached drawing for the location (pump shown removed).

If you plug the hole, or drain the bottle, you can activate the switch manually to see if your warning lamp changes. If it does it's likely the switch, if not post back and I'll look up the wiring schematic so you can test that.
Blowing the dust off this post: anyone know what resistance should be measured with the sensor? Mine has died but I suspect it's not the sensor but the control board. Given it has a magnetic disc attached to the float the internals must be a Reed switch. I get open circuit when simulating no water in the tank and about 10k ohms when the circuit is closed (sufficient water - float against the housing). I tried unplugging and shorting out the plug contacts that lead back to the car (to give 0 ohms), but still get the 'washer empty' message as soon as I start the car...