XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ A/C Problem Still Happening

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default XJ A/C Problem Still Happening

So randomly a month ago my XJ started blowing warm air unless the car was traveling at highway speeds, then it would throw cool air. Not cold but cool. I went to my mechanic and got my Freon completely drained and filled, and problem still persisted. I saw on the forums about the TSB for the Direct Pressure Sensing Valve, and the symptoms described were the same as mine. So 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and got the Valve replaced. Now my issue is it’s constantly blowing pretty cool air. But it’s not cold how it’s supposed to be. Randomly when going over 50mph the fan will start blowing at faster speed on it own, and will start blowing cold bone chilling air like it’s supposed to for like 30 seconds to a minute and then it will go back down to a Lower speed. This happens on auto and when I set it manually. When it starts blowing at a faster speed it feels as if the ac speed and air is blowing how it should normally be. In other words it feels like the AC is starting to breath again, or as if something that is clogged has been unclogged. Like I said it’s blowing cool air and it’s keeping me cool, but it’s just not how it’s supposed to be. I’ve tried doing some searching but came out with no luck. All help will be appreciated

Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Did you get the proper kit as there are 2 different ones based on VIN?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AC TSB.pdf (2.11 MB, 90 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Did you get the proper kit as there are 2 different ones based on VIN?
Yeah I noticed that before buying, I’m 100% sure I got the right one. The other one is for I believe 2014 and up or something like that. But I got the correct one for my VIN

Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Only other thing I can think of is your tech may not have either not drawn a vacuum long enough ( most people think that the vacuum is for getting the right amount of freon in, but it really is for lowering the boiling point of water so that all the moisture is "boiled" out of the system ) or there is an improper freon load. IMHO

The following users liked this post:
Supercharged Jag (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Only other thing I can think of is your tech may not have either not drawn a vacuum long enough ( most people think that the vacuum is for getting the right amount of freon in, but it really is for lowering the boiling point of water so that all the moisture is "boiled" out of the system ) or there is an improper freon load. IMHO
That’s the only thing I could think of as well, but idk why, it just doesn’t explain the random burst of faster air. Anyways I will take it to my other tech and see if that’s the cause. I’m hoping it’s what you think. Thank you for your help

Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Those valves are totally different and no mixing them up. They will not fit so you have the right one.

The following users liked this post:
Supercharged Jag (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it happening at speed? Or while you are changing speed (perhaps rapidly)? I believe there is some compensation for blower speed for the air inlet but if your actual temp is being impacted I'm inclined to think something else is up. Like someone else mentioned, a full evac would be cheap insurance to rule out further moisture. I wonder if SDD would show any useful sensor faults

Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dmchao
Is it happening at speed? Or while you are changing speed (perhaps rapidly)? I believe there is some compensation for blower speed for the air inlet but if your actual temp is being impacted I'm inclined to think something else is up. Like someone else mentioned, a full evac would be cheap insurance to rule out further moisture. I wonder if SDD would show any useful sensor faults
The fan starts blowing faster and more cooler when I’m above 50mph, and I haven’t noticed it doing when giving acceleration constantly or on high rpms. Just when your cruising above 50mph.