Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj12-x305-57/)
-   -   P1335 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj12-x305-57/p1335-83557/)

jagnut 10-27-2012 03:14 PM

P1335

Hello I am having a reoccuring code for engine speed sensor.The transmission was replaced before I purchased the car.I have dchecked the following sensor,wiring,ecm and am leaning toward a problem with the ferrite disc or rotor mounted to the crank flange? Has anyone seen problems with this. If the code is cleared it runs fine and then the code reappears and there is a 2850 rpm secondary fuel pump shut off.Any direction would help. Best Regards Robert

GGG 10-27-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jagnut (Post 609246)
Hello I am having a reoccuring code for engine speed sensor.The transmission was replaced before I purchased the car.I have dchecked the following sensor,wiring,ecm and am leaning toward a problem with the ferrite disc or rotor mounted to the crank flange? Has anyone seen problems with this. If the code is cleared it runs fine and then the code reappears and there is a 2850 rpm secondary fuel pump shut off.Any direction would help. Best Regards Robert

Jaguar DTC List gives the following:

P1335 : CKPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) circuit malfunction

Possible Causes
1. foreign material on CKPS face
2. CKPS sensing circuit open circuit, short circuit to ground or B+ voltage
3. CKPS / crankshaft disc misalignment
4. damaged or missing pulsar tooth ring
5. CKPS failure

After clearing, the code will reset after one 'trip' if the fault is not rectified.

You've eliminated (2) but the replacement transmission prior to purchase suggests (1) or (3) as possibilities. Starting and running makes (5) unlikely.

I'll step back and leave the model experts to comment on investigating and rectifying (3).

Graham

jagnut 10-27-2012 09:41 PM

Thanks concerning #3 can you tell me more about misalignment? I am trying to understand the ferrite rotor and it's operation. Is it magnetized? Does it produce the ac signal? What am I missing? I can put leverage on the convertor flywheel combo and there is movement like flexing... Could the front convertor bushing be worn out? Or oil pump bushing? I guess I need to check with occiliscope. The ferrite disc seems to have runnout. The WEDS scanner says the ferrite rotor produces a amplitude of 800 at 2volts. Can some one help? Thanks Best Regards Robert

jagnut 10-30-2012 07:12 PM

P1335

Can anyone explain the logic behind the code? Why does the code for a speed sensor control the secondary fuel pump? When I clear the code the car beaves perfectly. Then after driving shutting the car off and idriving again the code usually reappears. When the code appears at aprox. 2800 rpm it falls on it's face. Any thoughts.? What isthe relationship if any between cam crak and speed sensors? Help!!!!

jchavez76 10-31-2012 06:55 PM

I was going to try to research this and I don't see exactly what the vehicle info is. Can you specify year model and engine. I hate to assume when I'm looking for specifics.

jagnut 11-01-2012 05:45 AM

P1335

Thanks for your interest. This is for a 1996 X-305 XJ-12 6.0 litre.LWB. The Jaguar has been giving me this code for a long time.I am down to the ferrite rotor and its' signal to the engine speed sensor. Best Regards PS the sensor is properly called engine position sensor.

jchavez76 11-04-2012 04:24 PM

Hey jagnut,

How is the battle going?

I've been poking around for info on this. The only thing I can determine is that this sensor is used for fuel and ignition synchronization.

Has this problem been there since you've owned it?

Have you removed the sensor to inpsect?

Is there enough room to look at the flex plate/ flywheel to see if it was damaged during transmission R&R?

Can you see if maybe some flexplate or torque converter bolts are loose.

Can you have someone turn the engine while you watch to see if the flexpalte has any runout? The sensor has to be the same distance from the slots all the way around. If not, the signal will not be clean.

Is there another inspection plate or cover you can remove to get a good look at the slots that move across the sensor? I call them slots but I've never seen them on this application. Something has to move across the magnetic sensor to induce a voltage that is used to determine engine speed.

I saw a reference to 12 pulses per revolution. This means that there are 12 of something that move across the sensor to create the signal. Do you have a lab scope handy? You should see all pulses of the same size. It's possible that the flex plate was damaged and now is not generating a clean signal. Many ecu's on different cars will go nuts when they see something they were not programmed to see.

I've seen a bad alternator diode cause the car to misfire and even die out because the system does not know how to react ot strange signals. it will drive you nuts trying to figure out why. Look for the easy stuff first.

Good luck

jagnut 11-05-2012 05:48 AM

P1335

Thanks for the information. I have had the car with the problem for at least 2 years. I have replaced the sensor. I looked at the rotor over the weekend and am going to scope it this week.I looked at the flexplate for cracks or loose converter bolts. No problem there. I did notice movement with the converter when I pryed up and down on it. I think the front oil pump bushing is worn out. But I can't see how this would effect the signal since the ferrite rotor mounts to the crankshaft flange and is independent of the flexplate. I have ordered a new rotor just in case.As I mentioned before the transmission has been replaced before I bought the car.If you go to Genuine Jagusr Parts web sight the ferrite rotor is shown as 'disc'. You go to engine then drive plates then 6.0 litre.It is shown clearly. I think at this point scoping it is my best alternative.Iam puzzled that if I clear the code the car works perfectly until a couple of drive cycles.If the signal was defective would it not show up each time I drive the car? Best Regards I will keep you posted

steveinfrance 11-05-2012 06:16 AM

This fault is (CK ENG) 2
(CK ENG) 2 2 TRIPS – indicates that the CHECK ENGINE MIL is activated by a fault occurring during TWO CONSECUTIVE “TRIPS”.
BTW on an XK the CPS fault is P0335

jagnut 11-05-2012 04:53 PM

P0335

Sorry about the confusion I am getting old and had a brain fart... I have a p0335 fault code . Thanks for the correction. I have been busy with another jag e -type but will get to my scope and check wave form out and reply back what I find. Can you tell me what the logic of shutting down secondary fuel pump is. I just can't put the puzzle together. Thanks for your interest Steve.Best Regards

jagnut 11-09-2012 06:03 AM

P0335

Hello again I had time yesterday to scope the speed sensor.The pattern drops out on several wave pattern cycles. I ohmed the sensor when hot it is within spec. I thought that the movement or flexing of the flywheel {flexplate} might influence the pattern but since the disc is attached to the crank flange I am leaning more toward a bent disc or runnout of the disc.At any rate I will have to pull the transmission back to gain access to the disc.Has anyone run into this before? Best Regards Does anyone have any other explanation that might help? Any further checks?

jagnut 11-17-2012 07:37 AM

Just a note. I am still waiting for the ferrite disc ordered 2 weeks ago. Will keep you posted as to outcome.Regards

jagnut 11-20-2018 06:40 AM

Sorry, it took so long. The answer to the problem was the ferrite disc. When I pulled the transmission the disc was warped.I then replaced the disc and torqued to spec replaced transmission and voila it started no code.thanks to all