XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aiming the High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Aiming the High Beams

I figured out how to aim the low beam headlights. The outer adjustment screws adjust the up/down and the inner screws adjust side to side.

I don't see any adjustment for the High beams. Is there one? Or do they adjust where the low beams go?

My low beams are adjusted well but the high beams are very low. What am I missing?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr John
I figured out how to aim the low beam headlights. The outer adjustment screws adjust the up/down and the inner screws adjust side to side.

I don't see any adjustment for the High beams. Is there one? Or do they adjust where the low beams go?

My low beams are adjusted well but the high beams are very low. What am I missing?

Seems I read somewhere that the headlights are "self leveling"? Not sure how that works, though. Might that be only for the HID headlights?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I think they got rid of the self-leveling headlights because the self-leveling suspension takes care of it. My HID's don't move when I turn them on like they do on my other cars with self-leveling headlights. They aren't needed since any weight in the rear won't have the tail dragging and turning the headlights into aircraft searchlights looking for the Luftwaffe over London.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Yep - the self levelling motors on the headlights were originally specified because it was intended to offer the 350 with air suspension as an option and have conventional coil springs for base models.

However as they ditched the idea and had air suspension for all models the requirement for self levelling headlamps vanished and they deleted them quite early on, certainly in the 'G' series of VIN. Unfortunately somehow they didn't get deleted on the wiring diagrams in the 2008 Electrical Guide, or at least marked as 'Only present up to chassis Gnnnn'.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 12-07-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
Yep - the self levelling motors on the headlights were originally specified because it was intended to offer the 350 with air suspension as an option and have conventional coil springs for base models.

However as they ditched the idea and had air suspension for all models the requirement for self levelling headlamps vanished and they deleted them quite early on, certainly in the 'G' series of VIN. Unfortunately somehow they didn't get deleted on the wiring diagrams in the 2008 Electrical Guide, or at least marked as 'Only present up to chassis Gnnnn'.
Thanks for clearing that up. Guess my G50198 doesn't have them then? I could never figure out how this would work given what I saw of my headlights unless it was something inside the headlight shell.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Ah, found it the headlamp levelling motor (stepper motor) was deleted at G39155.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
Ah, found it the headlamp leveling motor (stepper motor) was deleted at G39155.

OK, Thanks, Guess that's why it didn't make sense to me. I always wondered what happened if you parked on an incline.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I, too have wondered about the auto leveling headlights. Thanks for the info on that.

As to adjusting your headlights, when you use the screws on top of the headlight housing, both the high and low beams move together in conjuction. There is not a separate leveling screw for the high beam and low beam. What I would do is get the high beams set right using the screw, and then check how far out the lows are. Multiple factors can cause them to be off, from the headlight being installed upside down (yes there is an indexing tab on the back of the bulb that can be placed upside down, causing the bulb to be way off), not seating them properly, etc. When we bought our x350 I had to take out the low beam bulbs, reach my finger inside the housing, and manually adjust the reflector that sits directly in front of the bulb. Somehow they had been bent and were completely off, causing one to shine too high, while the other was too low.

Here's a thread with some more information on adjusting the headlights.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eadlamp-86257/

The following users liked this post:
Dr John (12-11-2016)