XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 Jaguar XJ8 at Jag dealership/they cant fix it

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar XJ8 at Jag dealership/they cant fix it

Tell me your proff opinion please. I put 6k into this darn car
Took it last to a jag dealership figured they of all people will know wth they are doing right? WRONG

After a ton of stuff was done/brand new ECM, full tune up, brakes, Suspension dropped, FIXED,
leak in exhaust manifold FIXED
Head gasket done (brand new) (that was a year ago)
Changed coils (1 and 2) were misfiring
Jag dealership finally figured out why warning lights kept flashing and she was going into SAFE mode all the time after all the above work/.
ended up what they say was : Throttle body PINS/ female and male (?? just saying what they told me) were GUNKY, a mess. So they ordered NEW ONES, took forever to come in, finally they got em, put the new ones in

She then passes emissions, all warning lights OFF, Check engine light OFF

I pick her up
Something in my gut says "check oil maria" that little voice you know?

But honestly, I shouldn't have worried, TUNE UP, OIL CHANGE< the whole chabang, and the dummies even got her to pass emissions after pulling out thier hair trying to figure out why she wouldn't, so one would NOT think the JAG dealership mechanic would not have checked fluids..............but that LI"l voice......"check the oil maria"

So I get out. Check oil. BONE DRY> I mean B O N E DRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

okay, you know these cars only take Synthetic top of the line oil, TOP of the line everything matter of fact

The gas station I was close to at 4am (when I work) only had ONE bottle of the 5w 40 Synthectic
I grabbed it put it in, fingers crossed get on highway trying to get home

BLACK thick smoke, blowing in every driver that dared to pull up behind me. Gee, 6grand in repairs, pick her up from the JAG mechanic, and in BUCKHEAD, rich *** area at that, and IM pitching BLACK THICK nasty fuming, crazy cloudy, hugely immense and fierce SMOKE so bad if you dared to drive behind me you would find out you cannot see anymore.

On the phone with them. Rolled her back in, Black thick smoke trailing right into thier parking lot, drove out in a 2019 JAG F-PACE Premium (LOL) a loaner, don't wanna give this back...he he he ....lol

Left my keys and the car. AGAIN. They don't even call me, same thing happened last time they couldnt figure it out. What is wrong now do you have any ideas? I thought well for sure, when it was BONE DRY< the engine BURNED that one quart I managed to get into her, and that was the BLACK SMOKE..........right?

But before I pulled in about 6 miles b4 I got to them, I stopped at Auto Zone, put 2 more quarts in. Drove those 6-7 miles with the same black smoke the whole way. It only ceased to spit out that gunk when I was at a stop light, soon as I pressed the GAS, nobody behind me could see a dam thing, The amount of smoke coming from a jag sedan, looked more like the volume of a RIG, the big 18 wheeler Rigs..........

DID THEY RUIN MY CAR YOU THINK?

cuz I need to sell this darn car. And I need to sell her NOW.............give me any idea what you think happened, please. Im driving thier F Pace, but I cannot forever and my dumb butt did a title loan on the jag cuz I figured she was done. I just put almost 6k into her with them and another mechanic. And then the thick smoke. I needed to get money before she totally broke down. I owe the Title loan by Friday. SO I WANTED TO SELL HER,

that is if YOU think the Black thick smoke is not a HUGE issue?

IS IT?

waiting for your lovely good news/bad news response, or are you going to want my credit card and I just wrote all this for nothing

Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Did the vehicle leak oil after all the work was completed? Were any instrument cluster warning lights on?

Have you spoken with the dealership Service Manager about what happened?

Old 11-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, oil leaks that I saw at all
Yes, I took it back in right away, in fact they told me to bring her in
no warning lights came on at all, just the check engine light AGAIN dammit after 6250.00 I put into it.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

It would be helpful to know what DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are stored in the system to set the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light). If you can get the DTCs from the dealership and post them here, it may help indicate the direction for you to go in.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Personally, I would be loathe to bring my vehicle to a Jaguar dealer for whatever reason. At the most,, I 'might' trust their mechanics to do some brake and exhaust system work, but not much else. In fact, I took my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L to a local auto repair shop last summer to repair the brakes, and those mechanics did a fabulous job. With a Jaguar mechanic, it would be a crap shoot at best.

Last edited by Rickkk; 11-17-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Black smoke is most commonly associated with excess fuel being injected into the cylinder(s). Sounds more like an injector is stuck in the open position. Blue smoke is usually associated with excess oil being burned.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

I also stay away from the dealer as far as service.

The parts, and delivery guy are the only ones i know.

But both know me, by my first name, as well as me knowing theirs.

Parts guys will send me computer info, pictures, when asked for, & try to be very helpful.

I take as little of their time as necessary, you get better service from anyone this way.

Dealers do have their place in things after all, some parts are not available anywhere else.

Parts discounts sure help out.