XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 Jaguar XJR - Time for the boneyard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar XJR - Time for the boneyard?

Hi everyone. I’m contemplating sending an old friend to the boneyard, and I need some neutral advice.

In April 2014, I purchased my 2004 Jaguar XJR with 75,000 miles on the odometer for $8,000. Prior to the purchase, my mechanic identified about $3,000 in repairs that were made after taking title.

I’d like to report that the $8,000 initial investment + $3,000 in repairs was the extent of my major outays, but over the past 52 months and 36,000 miles my geriatric Jag has racked up another $6,000 here and there in unexpected repairs large and small. This afternoon, I found out that the steering pump will have to be replaced—another $1,100 or so in the debit column.

I didn’t intend to buy my car all over again and then some—promise! Each time a repair was needed, spending a few hundred or even a thousand bucks for parts and/or labor seemed like a no-brainer, when the only alternatives were either shelling out $15K+ for a ne/used car or putting the monthly payment monkey back on my shoulders.

I work from home full-time, but I still need reliable personal transportation and average roughly 10,000 miles a year behind the wheel. I love my black kitty and she has been a blast to drive (when she hasn’t been in the shop), but with this latest unexpected repair I am seriously considering selling the old girl for parts.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Spend another thousand towards buying the car a third time, or start over with something a little newer and hopefully a little less repair-prone? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

It's an early car, so a lot of things were never really tested properly by Jaguar as the car was late in development, and I reckon the aluminium body shell technology took most of the budget ! However at 75k miles on purchase, I would have thought the first owner would have had them fixed under warranty. Your story is similar to mine with a 2003 3 litre Sport. However my 2007 Sovereign has been a whole lot better. Frankly, if it were me, after spending all that dough without it putting any value into the car, I'd cut my losses and look around for a later car, The restyled cars 2006-2009 had several years of fixes, for instance the early air compressors for the suspension would fail at very low mileages, mine at 35k miles. The replacement was still on the car when I part-exed it at 115k miles. Only thing never fixed was the short life of the suspension bushes, and, frankly, with an XJR, these will last a very short time if you like to use the performance.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

It seems to me that you have been spending way too much on repairs
For example have you had a second opinion by another shop on
your present proposed repair?
Have you been trying to find used parts, they can be much cheaper
even if you have them shipped from Europe?
Have you used the internet to learn about the repair?
From my brief look I find that the sum quoted for the pump
replacement is about right and a new pump is about $800
but there is an ad on the same page for an used one
for $175! which would bring the total cost to about $500.
I can't post a link here for some reason but Google "Jaguar x350 power steering pump replacement."
You have been very unlucky with your Jag and I sympathise.
Has the fuel pump been replaced and any of the struts?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
One thing never fixed was the short life of the suspension bushes, and, frankly, with an XJR, these will last a very short time if you like to use the performance.
Oh, don’t get me started. I’ve bought a bushel of bushings and an armful of control arms for this beast, sometimes more than once in the same location. Aggravating doesn’t begin to describe it.

Originally Posted by meirion1
It seems to me that you have been spending way too much on repairs
For example have you had a second opinion by another shop on
your present proposed repair?
Normally yes, but the mechanic also happens to be my father-in-law. I’m pretty sure I haven’t pissed off my partner’s folks in recent memory so if he says it’s kaput, it’s kaput.

Have you been trying to find used parts, they can be much cheaper
Oh, always, if a used part is available. Unfortunately, for some of the repairs we’ve had to use new or aftermarket parts because a used part was not available.

Has the fuel pump been replaced and any of the struts?
Yep and yep. A new (used) fuel pump was needed at the 85,000 mile mark. The air suspension system failed a few weeks later, so the whole thing was ripped out and replaced with the Arnott kit.

Thanks for the replies...

Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I paid 9 k for a one owner 2004 XJR with 110k on the clock. Full service records, suspension already converted to Arnott. 6 mos later a blown head gasket put her down for several months, first trying to diagnose it, then trying to find an indy shop to do the work for less than the 5400 quoted by Jag. Still no luck.
Anyway, I am in the same thought process. Cut and run or suck it up and pay, as I LOVE the car...in order to do the second option I will have to become intimate with my cat.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Naughty kitty:

My conclusion is that you have spent too much to sell it now.
and
We should all be driving Mazdas !

Old 08-06-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

So, how the H are these going to become Classic Cars?

I'm well aware that the electronics could become a nightmare (in the sense of irreplaceable), which is largely why I bought "the last of the classics" now.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Dear Naughty Kitty: We all have experienced the pleasure and expense of driving and maintaining our beloved Jaguars. However, it seems like you have been paying far too much for the pleasure. I try to maintain my 3 Jaguars by myself, however, if it requires a lift I go to my local garage. This is my third location. The others charged too much and sometimes their workmanship was inferior. Recently I had to replace my power steering pump and hoses. It happens. I was able to buy a replacement (used and guaranteed) pump on eBay for $40, including shipping, The hoses were another thing. I opted for new hoses. With labor, my total cost was $640 (cash) to my local mechanic. Suggest you spend a few days asking others in your community who they use when their Jaguars need repair. Word of mouth is always a great way to go. As for buying another and sending your to the boneyard, that's an economic decision. Any previously owned car out of warranty is likely to have issues. Give it some thought and try to suppress the emotion.
Very respectfully, Bob G in Florida

Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't see any mention of transmission issues but I guess that could have been buried in the other costs you mention. If your tranny is good and had its fluid/pan changed since you bought it the worst should be over. I bought my 69K mileage 2004 XJ8 in excellent condition for 8K and in the first few months replaced front struts (rebuilt) and did the transmission service. I consider this car to be an inexpensive luxury ride even so keep going and repair as you go is my view. As a comparison, I had a 2006 Porsche Cayenne in similar condition/mileage which cost me over $10K in parts (my labor - a lot of it) before I finally got rid of it. Having said that I do all of my own work on the car and it came to me with one owner and full service history.

Steve

Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I do all my own work. I've had my 04 XJ8 for 15 months and 22,000 miles (now at 83,000). So far its been auxiliary coolant pump, radiator fluid change, transmission oil/filter change (my first automatic after 40 years of driving, give me a clutch job over this), coolant overflow tank, tires, air filters and oil changes. Still to do - front struts (the Arnotts are in the garage waiting for cooler weather), front bushings (with the struts), compressor kit (with struts), heater core, spark plugs and coils (just because). Overall a good experience so far. I'm not sure how people afford any older car if they need to pay labor for repairs. I think all I've done and listed too do (other than tires and engine oil) has/will run ~$2600 but most of that has been catch up as a new owner with a car with an unknown history. I expect (and hope) that this will slow down after awhile but if not its still fairly reasonable 12 cents per mile.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you’re considering sending the car to the boneyard, I would be interested in purchasing it for probably way more than the yard would give you. These cars are pretty uncommon and I’d hate to see another go. I certainly saved mine. She was on her way to the crusher, now she’s got a new engine and a new lease on life

Old 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
Naughty kitty:
My conclusion is that you have spent too much to sell it now.
That sounds suspiciously like the sunk cost fallacy that I have been laboring under for roughly the past two years or so.

Originally Posted by exiledbrit
I didn't see any mention of transmission issues but I guess that could have been buried in the other costs you mention. If your tranny is good and had its fluid/pan changed since you bought it the worst should be over.
Unfortunately that's probably going to the be the next thing to go (well, besides half the steering assembly--see below). The tranny was flushed 10,000 miles ago and looked OK at the time, but recently the unit will occasionally hesitate and then lurch when shifting from first to second. That, however, is now the least of my worries...

Originally Posted by pragmatic
I do all my own work. I've had my 04 XJ8 for 15 months and 22,000 miles (now at 83,000). So far its been auxiliary coolant pump, radiator fluid change, transmission oil/filter change (my first automatic after 40 years of driving, give me a clutch job over this), coolant overflow tank, tires, air filters and oil changes. Still to do - front struts (the Arnotts are in the garage waiting for cooler weather), front bushings (with the struts), compressor kit (with struts), heater core, spark plugs and coils (just because). Overall a good experience so far. I'm not sure how people afford any older car if they need to pay labor for repairs. I think all I've done and listed too do (other than tires and engine oil) has/will run ~$2600 but most of that has been catch up as a new owner with a car with an unknown history. I expect (and hope) that this will slow down after awhile but if not its still fairly reasonable 12 cents per mile.
I did some of the items you listed but I don't have a rack so anything needing elevation I have to pay for (or anything that I feel is beyond my skillset). A few minutes ago I found out about another issue... one that is not in my wheelhouse and is definitely not in the budget (not for a 14-year-old car, anyway): The rack-and-pinion assembly has a leak and will have to be replaced. Total cost: $1,644.

I'm done. Already looking at X351 models from 2015 onward. I think I'm done with the greasy elbow approach to foster parenting a Jaguar. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by NaughtyKitty
I'm done. Already looking at X351 models from 2015 onward. I think I'm done with the greasy elbow approach to foster parenting a Jaguar. Thanks!
If switching to a 2015, I think I'd look at a Nisan Altima instead. That's just what the X351 looks like anyway, and you'd save some money. The new XJs are sooooo vanilla.

All kidding aside though, I totally understand your frustration. I've been very luck with my 04 XJR, just the air shocks that I'm currently messing with.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I am afraid you will have to add another one to the keep it group. It sounds as though to date you have put about $9,000.00 into a car you spent $8,000.00 on and are now considering another $1,100.00. Depending on what the $9,000.00 was spent on you may have pretty much repaired most of the vehicle that are significant and should be close to having a rebuilt reliable vehicle. What exactly does the $1,100.00 get you? Power steering pump and rack and pinion unit (with hoses) or just the rack and pinion? For the money you say both are possible especially if you are getting a “family discount” on labor and parts.

Replaced suspension parts should last 36,000 miles without a problem. If new bushings are wearing out in less than that something else is wrong.

My belief is that if you have to pay someone to repair a vehicle it is important to keep track of where you are on a cost/benefit balance sheet. Since most repairs do not need to be repeated for a very long time the money spent here and there is less than the cost of a newer vehicle’s monthly payments. Although you may purchase a new vehicle for $15,000.00 it will not compare with a cat. Especially an XJR. Unless you decide to regularly buy new and trade while under warranty sooner or later you will be back where you are now. Spending money on repairs. If you spend $15,000.00 on another used car you may well be where you are now only with a unknown vehicle that has not had any work done to it. At present it appears as though this Jag has cost you roughly 0.47 a mile (including the purchase price). Not bad when compared to a monthly car payment and the cost of full coverage insurance.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have also been standing in front of the decision to pull the plug on this expensive car more than once ... but it's so pretty and unique
Currently my investments haven't reached the purchase value yet, so I endured them. When the part replacement costs threaten to approach or exceed the price I paid for the car I'll probably also consider to get rid of the car, as much as I would regret it.
Sometimes a terrible end is better than endless terror ...

Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

If the drive train is solid, and everything else on the vehicle is functioning reasonably well, I think that I would bite the bullet, and spend $1100 on the repair as at least you know what you got. Nowadays, people are not selling used vehicles because they're working. In most cases, used cars that are up for sale will generally require several thousand dollars of repair to get them roadworthy.

Last edited by Rickkk; 08-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

That's one of the reasons I remain faithful to my green one (besides the fact that it's the most beautiful car I ever owned).
To make it marketable will cost me around 2000€. After having to spend that anyway I may as well keep it in its then much better condition

Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

As stated B4;

Used anything means it's got an issue or 3 to fix, that the P O can't afford to have done, don't know how to do themselves, but most times they just don't want to deal with. When you figure the cost of repairs when you do all the work, buy off the web, you can figure that 3 to 4 times that would be what was paid, to have the work done. When looked at this way remember, nothing good is cheap. But when considered what you have when you catch up on what wear parts you need,sure is less than a new anything, no comparison either!!! My experience so far, (been very lucky) seems to be an overall lack of maintenance, but not near as much abuse, as with other used cars. But their bad reputation, Lucas still lingers in peoples minds, The reason the Britt's drink warm beer is Lucas electronics built the fridge, also called the Prince Of Darkness!!!! Ford to their credit, solved their horrible dependability issues, saving the car from extinction, as it was well on its way, I M H O. End of the day, there is 2 Jaguars in my garage, that run great, about half the price of a new Honda, or Toyota with air, & automatic trans. A lot more fun, with 30+ M P G on the road. with 23-25 in town, if you drive easy, less if you don't. Love both XJ8's, 04 base, & 07 VDP great cars!!!

Old 08-17-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Ultimately, I decided that I just wasn't the grease monkey I thought I was. Kitty has "gone to live in the country on a farm".

Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Hope it's happy in the country, not all cats like city living

Quick Reply: 2004 Jaguar XJR - Time for the boneyard?