Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   2004 XJ8 raw fuel smell in cabin (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/2004-xj8-raw-fuel-smell-cabin-73644/)

jagman619 05-20-2012 06:51 PM

2004 XJ8 raw fuel smell in cabin

Hi - I have a 2004 XJ8 that exhibited a strong unburnt fuel/gas odor, primarily on the driver's side, today when driving in the cool morning. The ambient temp was probably 65 and I had a fairly full tank of gas, having driven about 40 miles since fill up. I did not receive a CEL.

Both returning from my destination and idling it in the driveway in the heat of the day, I smelt nothing. I checked underhood while idling and found no evidence of issues with injectors or fuel rails. I'm going to try driving it again this evening after it cools off again to see if temperature and or "sloshing" the fuel may affect things.

I searched the threads here and I think based on the location and nature of the smell, that it is something in the evap system. Most likely the evap canister purge valve, may be failing. I have had a clicking noise that some say is indicative of a problem here. But the other threads all dealt with other models (XK, S-type, etc).

I had planned for maintenance next weekend so I'll take the tire off and get a good look then. Before that, my questions are

1) Can anyone relay any experiences with similar problems on similar XJs? Was it intermittent and/or slowly worsening? What were the symptoms and/or cure? The computer seems to be able to "learn" about these emission settings, so maybe it can compensate? I assume keeping a lower fuel level would help too.
2) Aside from the smell being annoying, is it safe to drive?
3) If it does get worse, I assume I would expect a CEL?
4) What is the part number for the purge valve? Per the FSM, there was a change and I have the early 2004 setup (my VIN is G22xxx). I can't seem to find it at Rockauto, is this a dealer-only thing, or does anyone know another source? I'd like to avoid dealership prices if possible, of course.

Thanks for any info.

jaglover922 05-20-2012 07:46 PM

Sounds like the fuel tank seals are leaking. The seals that sit around the sending unit and transfer pump. there is a fixed flange in the center of the tank. I can't remember if that seal is serviced seperately from the tank.

jaglover922 05-20-2012 07:50 PM

Problems with purge valve issues would also follow with rich fault codes more then likely, or a purge valve fault. That's why I'm leaning towards a tank seal issue. Then again a evap leak fault code for a small leak should be present too. I would check the tank seals first.

jagman619 05-21-2012 12:00 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I'll add that to my things to check.

Fraser Mitchell 05-21-2012 03:09 PM

Leaking gasoline (petrol) needs checking as soon as possible, so I suggest it needs to go up on the lift soon, for an inspection.

FWIW when I had a Series 3 XJ6 years ago, I was alerted to a leaking fuel pipe in the engine bay by just such a smell. So stopped car, found the fuel leak and fixed it by the roadside.

meirion1 05-21-2012 09:09 PM

petrol smell

There have been I think two posts reporting a smell of fuel in the cabin,either on this forum or the Uk forum.
I can remember one which showed a picture of the fuel rail which has a sealing cap along it's length and it was this cap which was leaking.
That's all I remember I'm afraid (I'm very old!!).

meirion1 05-21-2012 09:29 PM

petrol smell

Just had an idea.

When I was working we used to use 'explosiometers'.These are solid state portable devices which detect exposive mixtures eg petrol vapour in air.

They are safe to use in an explosive atmosphere and can draw a sample across the detector using a rubber hose which you could introduce into various 'confined' spaces in the engine bay for example in an attempt to track down leaks.
If you can beg/borrow/hire or steal one of these you may find it useful.
It may be that garages use a similar device these days.

good luck

David Cupp 06-19-2012 11:36 AM

I too have a '04 xj8 and had similar problem a few months back.

Originally Posted by jagman619 (Post 516625)
Hi - I have a 2004 XJ8 that exhibited a strong unburnt fuel/gas odor, primarily on the driver's side, today when driving in the cool morning. The ambient temp was probably 65 and I had a fairly full tank of gas, having driven about 40 miles since fill up. I did not receive a CEL.

Both returning from my destination and idling it in the driveway in the heat of the day, I smelt nothing. I checked underhood while idling and found no evidence of issues with injectors or fuel rails. I'm going to try driving it again this evening after it cools off again to see if temperature and or "sloshing" the fuel may affect things.

I searched the threads here and I think based on the location and nature of the smell, that it is something in the evap system. Most likely the evap canister purge valve, may be failing. I have had a clicking noise that some say is indicative of a problem here. But the other threads all dealt with other models (XK, S-type, etc).

I had planned for maintenance next weekend so I'll take the tire off and get a good look then. Before that, my questions are

1) Can anyone relay any experiences with similar problems on similar XJs? Was it intermittent and/or slowly worsening? What were the symptoms and/or cure? The computer seems to be able to "learn" about these emission settings, so maybe it can compensate? I assume keeping a lower fuel level would help too.
2) Aside from the smell being annoying, is it safe to drive?
3) If it does get worse, I assume I would expect a CEL?
4) What is the part number for the purge valve? Per the FSM, there was a change and I have the early 2004 setup (my VIN is G22xxx). I can't seem to find it at Rockauto, is this a dealer-only thing, or does anyone know another source? I'd like to avoid dealership prices if possible, of course.

Thanks for any info.

I went to a local asa garage here in the mid-cities area [DFW] and found the o-rings in the fuel rails were deteriating and had them replaced. the fuel transducer was leaking through the electrical plug $190. for a transducer. also had a valve cover leak, so we did and new valve cover gasket set @$85. so..now no more gas smell...still can't seem to figure out my gas gauge though..it's really irradic. probably the sender on the fuel pump..saving for that now.

N9921x 06-20-2012 10:48 AM

Darned ethanol in the fuel.
Ruins just about everything.
Alcohol is a perfect solvent. Cleans so good it ends up doing more harm than folks give it credit for...

tarhealcracker 06-20-2012 12:27 PM

Under the heading of "simple things first" have you considered the fuel filter? It's mounted to the body outside the car and directly under the Left side drivers seat.
This thing has O rings and screw threaded nuts, all of which could leak. Gas fumes, as you know, can get all over the place including the cabin.

jagman619 09-05-2012 12:55 PM

A belated Thank You to everyone for the replies. I wasn't getting email notifications of follow up posts for some reason. And the car stopped being symptomatic, so I forgot about the issue, until it cropped up again this morning.

I will check the things everyone suggested. It definitely has to do with a full tank, seems worse on an uphill slope and may be exacerbated by weight in the trunk (the first time I had a bowling ball back there, this time I had 15lb of hand weights). As soon as the tank is down under "F", there is no smell.

This definitely strikes me as one of those things that will never happen when you take it in (unless it gets worse). Hard to know what to do in these cases.

a4500435 10-04-2012 12:18 PM

This sounds like it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngerous-65343/

I'm concerned about this too, I've also smelled the gas odor occasionally. However, I'm not yet certain it's the car, the only times I ever smell it are when going down a street during rush hour where the other lane turns into a parking lot.

Randyg1 04-20-2013 10:11 PM

Hello all

I have a 1986 XJS V 12 that has a visible leak from the fuel level sender circle on the tank. I bought the car 2 weeks ago and the previous owner mentioned that he fixed the non working gas gauge however the gas level was low when I bought it so there was no smell until I filled up the tank. The trunk has a strong smell and the odor now gets into the cabin. The previous owner has put some yellow putty type stuff around the circle but tha does no seem to do the job of sealing it. Th fuel gauge in the dash seems to be working correctly. Any advice on how to seal the fuel level sender? I read elsewhere that POR 15 ma work appreciate any info you can provide. TSS

1986 V12XJS

sweeper 04-21-2013 01:20 AM

Don't forget the smell could have come from outside, and may not be anything to do with your car, having said that I would check the fuel line etc. for evidence of any leaks.

pianohero 09-10-2014 06:08 PM

I'm having a similar problem and I'm pretty sure it's the tank seals. I took out the back seat and opened the access covers hoping it was a seal around the fuel pump (reasonably easy to get at) but it looks like it's coming from the front center flange on the top of the tank; it looks like a small amount of gas leaked out and down onto the top of the tank. Does anyone know how to get access to this flange? I can just barely reach my hand up there. Does the tank need to be dropped? It looks like a pretty involved job.

aldomartinez 01-16-2015 06:57 PM

2004 jaguar vanden plas fuel smell in cabin

Same issue just left dealership all fixed. It was a leak in the fuel actuator located on the back of the car. That's why I could never smell out on the engine compartment. $500 part installed.

luciv6 01-18-2015 05:31 AM

Had a similar problem. ending-up being the fuel pressure sensor. It has an o-ringed fitting which was loose (o-ring worn). There are only 2 screws on either side of it which don't tighten very much and have no nut underneath. Mine was pouring fuel out by the end which is how I found it, quite dangerous. Replaced the sensor, smell gone.

Sensor Fuel Pressure - AJ87977 | Jaguar XF & Sportbrake, Jaguar X150 XK - XKR, Jaguar XJ 2003 - 2009, Jaguar X Type, Jaguar S Type, Jaguar XK8 - XKR | Jaguar | British Parts UK