XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts
Default 2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks

Working in the shop today replacing the front upper control arms. Of course, like everything else I replaced in the car to fight the clunking problem, the upper control arms look fine. I took a closer look at the Arnott air shock and realized that I could actually duplicate the clunking noise. I took the shock and compressed it with both hands and then suddenly let go and sure s**t, there was a clunking noise before the shock returned to its full position.

I'll be damned! I bought the car in 2013 and the date code for these shocks is 2012. The previous owner had replaced them. I know I do not have any recourse with Arnott since the warranty is extended to the original owner and do not have any paperwork. Has anyone else had similar problems with the Arnott's air shocks?

I'd like to keep the air ride but Arnott is certainly not a choice. Bilstein appears to make a set of our cars. Is there preferred vendor out there for these shocks?

Push all the way down and let go - clunk/thunk. Yep.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The Bilsteins will cost a lot more money, but are the OEM parts. They are now available on the after market at a much lower price than you'll pay at a Jaguar dealer. As yours is an XJR, you need the Sport spring, (Red dot marking on the spring body). Only thing I'd say, though, is the spring action is not normally all the way down and all the way up, so check carefully before you whack out on new Bilsteins. I'd check with Arnott first.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Understood. I tried with different compression (all the way, part way down etc.) and I got the same thunk. I have sent an email to Marvin at Arnott's referencing this thread. I'll share what his thought are (unless of course he posts directly here).

Old 01-17-2016, 03:59 AM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My clunking started a month after new Arnott struts

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Working in the shop today replacing the front upper control arms. Of course, like everything else I replaced in the car to fight the clunking problem, the upper control arms look fine. I took a closer look at the Arnott air shock and realized that I could actually duplicate the clunking noise. I took the shock and compressed it with both hands and then suddenly let go and sure s**t, there was a clunking noise before the shock returned to its full position.

I'll be damned! I bought the car in 2013 and the date code for these shocks is 2012. The previous owner had replaced them. I know I do not have any recourse with Arnott since the warranty is extended to the original owner and do not have any paperwork. Has anyone else had similar problems with the Arnott's air shocks?

I'd like to keep the air ride but Arnott is certainly not a choice. Bilstein appears to make a set of our cars. Is there preferred vendor out there for these shocks?

Push all the way down and let go - clunk/thunk. Yep.
My clunking is so bad it's insane. The noise started a month or so after putting in the new replacement strut. I talked to Noel and am going to ask them to replace them. They noise is now deafining, the entire front suspension is new and the only thing left are the struts. The noise started after I replaced them. They are warranties so I'll try a new set.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I had the same exact issue. Eventually the base of my strut bent and when I jacked the car up it rebent and all of the fluid and air shot out..Good stuff! Id check lower control arm big bushing as well

Old 01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If I don't get a satisfactory response with Arnott. I will buy a new set of Bilstein struts and have Arnott refund me for the new ones. This is ridiculous. You would think they would test them heavily before sending them out to clunk on everyone.

Last edited by Collector1; 01-19-2016 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

It's stories like this that make me glad I converted to coils. I know that it's considered blasphemy to go away from air, but piece of mind for me with this setup is great.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Curious what they say. I purchased my xjr with them and they were only a year or two old with barely any miles as well. Havent called them about it though

Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Collector1
If I don't get a satisfactory response with Arnott. I will buy a new set of Bilstein struts and have Arnott refund me for the new ones. This is ridiculous. You would think they would test them heavily before sending them out to clunk on everyone.
Well said. I pulled both of them off my vehicle and set them aside. Next place for them probably the trash heap.

Last edited by Lagonia; 01-19-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The Bilsteins will cost a lot more money, but are the OEM parts. They are now available on the after market at a much lower price than you'll pay at a Jaguar dealer.
I've been canvasing the market for the cost of a new Bilstein for my '04 XJR. Best price I've seen is actually from my local Jaguar dealer at $1,070. Can't find a Bilstein Sport unit anywhere for less. I thought I'd found them on eBay for approx $850 but that turned out to be a Comfort model and that seller doesn't have the Sport version. Any other suggestions on a source for Bilstein Sport Air Springs for under $1k?

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

How about $945? I have not pulled the trigger yet. It says sport or comfort. Might require a phone call. Still searching.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...-xjr-44-069483

Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 PM

How about $945? I have not pulled the trigger yet. It says sport or comfort. Might require a phone call. Still searching.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...-xjr-44-069483
LOL! I found that right after I posted that I couldn't find anything below $1k. That they say it fits either Comfort or Sport makes me wonder. When I called the local Jaguar dealer, they very clearly said that the Comfort and Sport springs were different part numbers. Here's an online parts listing from Merriam Jaguar where Comfort and Sport are also shown as different parts:

2004 Jaguar XJR Parts - Jaguar Parts Center - Call (800) 510-1401 for Genuine Jaguar Parts and Accessories

To add to the confusion, some of the eBay sellers are very specific about whether their product is Comfort or Sport while others claim that their product covers both! Here's a current eBay listing that very clearly says it's for a Comfort suspension:

Jaguar XJ Series Genuine Bilstein Front Air Spring Shock Absorber X350 X358 | eBay

This is the listing that led me to believe that I could find a new Bilstein for $850. When I called them, they confirmed that they did not have Sport units available.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Odysseus

Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

You can purchase a pair of new Bilstein B4's at www.carsteering.com for $1,700. New Bilstein replacements comes only in one model which is a comfort size bladder.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like the ebay listing posted by Ὀδυσσεύς and the carsteering link posted by Box are the same vendor. In their website they do list a sport mode listing but it points to Arnott's air springs.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM

It looks like the ebay listing posted by Ὀδυσσεύς and the carsteering link posted by Box are the same vendor. In their website they do list a sport mode listing but it points to Arnott's air springs.
That's correct, they don't have the "Sport" Bilsteins; only the Comfort.

Ὀδυσσεύς

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Box
Veteran Member

This is a very large rubber part. You wouldn't want "new, old stock" or NOS for this anyway. It's already over a decade old. Bilstein has started making a brand new replacement for Jaguar owners in the B4 product line, however, it comes only with a "Comfort" size bladder.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Box
Bilstein has started making a brand new replacement for Jaguar owners in the B4 product line, however, it comes only with a "Comfort" size bladder.
Are we saying then, that Jaguar will no longer support vehicle owners who have Sport suspensions? I.e., all Jaguar/Bilstein replacements will be Comfort tuned unless there's an old one available?

Last edited by odisyus; 01-20-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by odisyus
Are we saying then, that Jaguar will no longer support vehicle owners who have Sport suspensions? I.e., all Jaguar/Bilstein replacements will be Comfort tuned unless there's an old one available?
That's a pretty unique way of attempting to have me say something I never said. I do not speak for Jaguar. Call them for information. Let me state it again.

Bilstein manufactured the original set. Bilstein has a replacement under the B4 line, which only has one part number, no matter if your vehicle was equipped with "Sport" or "Comfort" and has the larger "Comfort" bladder size. These are of recent manufacture.

Original equipment supplied to Jaguar, or NOS, (new, old stock) could have sat on a shelf for years, and all rubber, over years of time, deteriorates. I would not use an air suspension module that has been on the shelf since the 200-anything. In fact, if more than a year or so old, I wouldn't want it.

Last edited by Box; 01-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-12-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I would not use an air suspension module that has been on the shelf since the 200-anything. In fact, if more than a year or so old, I wouldn't want it.
Well, I fitted a complete set of NOS "Comfort" Bilsteins about 2 years ago, because I wanted the softer setting. So far they're holding up. When they were received the air put in the spring at the factory to prevent twisting damage was still there.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 01-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Well, I fitted a complete set of NOS "Comfort" Bilsteins about 2 years ago, because I wanted the softer setting. So far they're holding up. When they were received the air put in the spring at the factory to prevent twisting damage was still there.
I hope they last you the lifetime of the vehicle. We use what we have. Thank goodness Bilstein started reproducing these units. I can only hope my new Bilsteins will last 13 years as the originals did.

Last edited by Box; 01-20-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks