XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's another photo of the new AC recharging kit. Interestingly enough, none of the AC charging hoses that I found in my parents' garage seemed to fit the AC low pressure service port either.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge-2005-jaguar-xj8l-ac-recharging-kit-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Here's a look a the AC service ports with the caps off. Hmmm....As I stated previously, I thought that the 2005 Jaguar XJ8L required a special charging fitting to accommodate the low pressure service port. I'll bet I'm right so I will likely have to pick up something like the AC PRO recharging kit, and attempt this again. In the meantime, I can hear the compressor coming in and out, but it's buried under so many obstructions that I haven't visually located it yet. Perhaps I can try looking for it again tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge-2005-jaguar-xj8l-ac-recharging-kit-photo-3-.jpg  

Last edited by Rickkk; 05-16-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Update: I called AC PRO this morning, and spoke to one of the technicians over there. The technician said that the two service ports (that I shown in the photos) were not in fact AC service ports. Furthermore, he said that I would have to start from the passenger side, and just follow the larger AC pipe to locate the low pressure service port. In addition, he said that the AC low pressure service port could even be located in the vehicle's wheel well.

So I suppose today that I'll just have to begin hunting for that service port. Good grief!

Last edited by Rickkk; 05-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Well, I still haven't located the AC low pressure service port on this 2005 Jaguar XJ8L. Apparently what was shown in the photos were not the AC service ports.
A Google search also turned up nothing about its location. I can hear what appears to be the AC compressor clutch engaging and disengaging, but I haven't spotted the AC compressor itself. From what I could see thus far, the AC compressor seems to be buried down below somewhere by the oil filter on the driver's side.

This should only have been a two minute job, but it's fast turning into quite a project.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Dude - The large port is the high pressure side. Small Port Low Pressure. On ALL 134a systems I have ever seen. I have added 134a Refrigerant THROUGH THE SMALLER (Low Pressure Side) connector perhaps a half dozen times on my older car, once on the new 07 Vanden Plas, and add to my Wifes MPV, my sons Subaru Legacy and my daughters C280 Mercedes. ALL of them use the small connection. The question I have and have had looking at this thread is where you ever got the idea or information that the large port is low pressure? Even all the refill kits at Walmart tell you to use the smaller connector. Did you ever try to use the smaller connector? I am not trying to be obnoxious or anything - just totally amazed at how persistently you have referenced the low pressure as the large connector. I forget - was it that way on R-12 systems? Its been a while since I played with one - Last was my 87 Mercedes 300 SDL if I recall and I converted it to 134a.

You can buy a can of 134a and a hose with a gauge on it at Walmart or ANY auto parts store for $15-25 and add some refrigerant in 10 minutes time. Thats why I don't understand why this has gotten to be such a project for you. I dod get that your on hand stuff was R12 - but the new systems are so easy they sell this stuff to consumers - not sure THAT is the greatest idea.

Anyway - use the small port, add a bit of 134 while its running and see if you get colder temps - they sell separate sealer, but a can with sealer included works. If you add it and the pressure is at the high end of the green scale watch that your compressor doesn't stop running the clutch due to over pressure - about the only way you can go wrong.

Also surprised that no one cleared this up way earlier.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Default Pics -

Those are the ports. The SMALL PORT is the low side.

From my quick search for "AC Carging Port Jaguar x350" I just got this (shows what I have been doing since 2008 or so:

"How to Add Refrigerant to a 2004-2009 Jaguar XJ8"

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...recharge_freon

Thats the port I use - The smaller of the 2. I have seen articles that say its the large port - I have seen ones that say its the LARGE PIPE. In any case this is the port. Put the connector on there, start the car - check the pressure - add refrigerant.

And yes - the compressor is the lowest belt riven accessory on the front left of engine (same side as the charging ports) It is almost impossible to see the clutch with the airbox, the lower radiator hose, the air pump and the power steering pump. The best way to know whats going on from where you are now is see what the pressure reading is on the system. I promise you the small schrader valve is the low side of your AC system. Thus the reason they say "The hose will only FIT on the low side valve. Now go check it out!

Last edited by Blairware; 05-17-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM

And do NOT talk to anyone at AC Pro again. They are the ones that have a pic of the LARGE valve being the low pressure side. What the???

Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the helpful advice John! It seems that I was given some bad information on youtube, and even from the AC PRO technician. Yes, the small port that was shown in the photos is indeed the AC low pressure service port. Wow, it really took several attempts to finally plug the new AC refrigerant kit hose into the AC low pressure service port, but after that, it was a breeze.

So, I would highly recommend using this particular AC recharging kit for the 2004-2007 Jaguar XJ8 as those in China take pains to inspect and actually try out each and every one of these kits. This was what I was told by the seller.

Now, all one has to do is to press the AC button on the climate control, and set the temperature on both sides to the lowest setting while making sure that the blower is on.

After plugging in the AC recharging hose to the AC low pressure service port, idle the car until the vehicle has reached normal temperature. Obviously make sure that a refrigerant can is attached to the AC recharging kit before plugging the hose into the AC low pressure service port.

Next, puncture the AC refrigerant can by turning the knob CW all the way in. Then slowly back the knob CCW just to the point when the system is beginning to absorb the refrigerant. At various stages during the recharging process, stop the flow of the refrigerant by turning the knob all the way CW, and then observe the pressure on the gauge. Also invert the refrigerant can to aid in the recharging. When you have reached approximately 38-39 PSI, you have recharged the system. At this point, add no more refrigerant. Of course, before adding any refrigerant, ascertain that the compressor clutch is cycling on and off.

Yes, now I'm getting cool air! (at least for now). Thanks for everybody's help!

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge-2005-jaguar-xj8l-refrigerant-charging-hose-plugged-into-ac-low-pressure-service-port-14psi-pr.jpg   2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge-2005-jaguar-xj8l-refrigerant-charging-hose-plugged-into-ac-low-pressure-service-port-39psi-.jpg  

Last edited by Rickkk; 05-17-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:57 PM

Here is a photo before I began to recharge the AC system. As you can see, the system only contained 14 PSI of refrigerant.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Jaguar XJ8L Air Conditioning Recharge-2005-jaguar-xj8l-refrigerant-charging-hose-plugged-into-ac-low-pressure-service-port-14psi-pr.jpg  
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Wow! That IS great news. Not sure how so many sources give bad info, but glad to see you are ready for the warm weather! The inly things I might add for folks who want to check the refrigerant level are the following:

While adding refrigerant, you should turn the can 90 degrees back and forth in almost a shaking motion. This mixes any product (most have an ounce of PAG oil, and some contain leak sealer, UV leak detector, and proprietary cooling enhancers) and helps keep the cans pressure up. Its a good idea to either wear a glove or use a cloth as the can gets the "Heat of vaporization" effect where aerosols draw heat from the atmosphere. That's why spray cans get extremely cold while spraying.

You can, instead of waiting on an eBay purchase grab a can of 134a with leak sealer at Walmart or any Auto Parts chain. Heres a typical hose, with gauge that I have purchased in recent years. They are good for 3-5 years use, and about $15

Finally - Do NOT give in to the temptation to force as much refrigerant into the system as you can within the "green area" on the gauge. There are gauges that have ambient temp scales on them (you need to go somewhat higher pressure when the outside temps are higher. But as I said, don't get greedy. The reason? Over pressure is self defeating as the system has a pressure switch that will NOT engage the clutch if the pressures are too low of too high. I did this with my 06 XJ8L and got worse performance in terms of how cold the AC was. When I let a bit of pressure off (attach an empty can, do NOT vent 134a into the atmosphere or you are an Ozone Depleting criminal! Actually no one will stop you or know, but we don't pour used motor oil into the dirt by the old shed anymore right? RIGHT?

UPDATE: As of THIS SUMMER: EPA is only allowing "Self sealing" cans and piercing them with an old host connector will not work. You need a $4 adaptor sold wherever 134a is sold. I found this out the hard way, when my car wouldn't take even a squirt on refrigerant.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM

John wrote: "UPDATE: As of THIS SUMMER: EPA is only allowing "Self sealing" cans and piercing them with an old host connector will not work. You need a $4 adaptor sold wherever 134a is sold. I found this out the hard way, when my car wouldn't take even a squirt on refrigerant".

I'll see about picking up an extra can or two of the old style R134A refrigerant cans next week. If I can't find those at the store, perhaps I'll try eBay.

Last edited by Rickkk; 05-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason is that the small port is too small for the r134a
I have the same issue as of today
and believe me i know cars
The small line is too small for the 134a fitting

Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM

ttodd wrote: "The reason is that the small port is too small for the r134a
I have the same issue as of today
and believe me i know cars
The small line is too small for the 134a fitting"

Well no, It sure may appear that the smaller port (in this case, the low pressure port) is too small for the R134A fitting, but it actually does fit. It may take several attempts to attach the R134A fitting onto the smaller port, but it does connect to that port.

Last edited by Rickkk; 11-20-2018 at 07:37 PM.