XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 xj8 front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 xj8 front wheel bearing

Am I missing something? Every post I read about front wheel bearings talks about special sockets, etc.. Of course they do not list the year of the car they are talking about. Based upon the parts descriptions it appears the bearing is sold as part of an entire hub assembly which looks to be relatively easy to install? Below is a link to one of the sellers. It looks like after removing the wheel and brake caliper there are three or four bolts to remove to remove the entire hub assembly. Then it is a matter of replacing it with the new hub assembly and reinstalling the brake caliper and wheel? Appreciate any advice on this subject.

https://www.autopartskart.com/jaguar...FVU9gQodfxoNyA

Old 04-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

You're not missing anything, you're right on the money. Once brake caliper and disc are removed. Its 4 bolts on the inside to remove the whole assembly. They are either hex head bolt ( 15mm ) or a torx ( T50 or T55 ). If I remember, on the genuine part, they updated the ABS sensor harness, the connector is different where it goes into the hub, but just check on the new one you get, if its the same connector, then keep the old one if there isn't anything wrong with it, then you have a spare.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Except...........
Whilst in theory it is simplicity itself to swap out the hub and bearing assembly, many mechanics and DIYers have discovered that the hub is very difficult to push out of its housing in the hub carrier, (or upright) after the bolts are undone and removed. Reason for this is the very tight clearance between the iron of the hub, and the aluminium of the upright which, with a bit of salty dampness between the two, forms a lovely corrosion cell that almost welds the two together. So sometimes it is necessary to remove the upright and hub together, apply heat and anti-seize fluid so the old hub can be removed. Once this is done and the housing cleaned up, the new hub can be easily inserted and secured.

Anti-corrosion compound used in the aerospace industry is recommended on the new hub to prevent future seizure, but the name of the stuff escapes me.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Never Seez is one

Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Never Seez is one
And Duralac is another: -

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Fraser

I will confirm you described my front bearing replacement on my 2004 XJR exactly!!! No special tools, just very difficult the separate the bearing from the aluminum hub and yes I did apply anti-seez as well.

RyeJag

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ryejag
Fraser

I will confirm you described my front bearing replacement on my 2004 XJR exactly!!! No special tools, just very difficult the separate the bearing from the aluminum hub and yes I did apply anti-seez as well.

RyeJag
This hub-hub-carrier problem was also described a couple of months ago in the UK Jaguar Enthusiasts Club magazine. Of course what we mustn't forget is that the old XJ bearing design of the 50s never lasted long either. In fact I had to replace the stub axles on my XJ Series 3 due to chatter of the bearing on the stub axle. Stuff just lasts longer these days, (except for X350 suspension bushes, of course !!!!)

Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update to my original post. Purchased a new hub assy., removed wheel, caliper and rotor and when spun the bearing seemed fine. Reassembled and drove and rumble still there. Examined tire and found that it had a flat spot about 1" wide by 2-1/2" long. Installed spare and that resolved the problem. Sounded just like a wheel bearing failing. Hope this is helpful to some.

Ken
2008 XJ8L

Old 05-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 253 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Detroit Axle

Originally Posted by DRV4SHOW
Am I missing something? Every post I read about front wheel bearings talks about special sockets, etc.. Of course they do not list the year of the car they are talking about. Based upon the parts descriptions it appears the bearing is sold as part of an entire hub assembly which looks to be relatively easy to install? Below is a link to one of the sellers. It looks like after removing the wheel and brake caliper there are three or four bolts to remove to remove the entire hub assembly. Then it is a matter of replacing it with the new hub assembly and reinstalling the brake caliper and wheel? Appreciate any advice on this subject.

https://www.autopartskart.com/jaguar...FVU9gQodfxoNyA
I replaced both on the front hubs with units from Detroit Axle. So far so good. They are 42.50 each. Includes the ABS sensor and cable. The ball bearing system used is outdated. Most cars use the more robust roller bearings.