Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   Aftermarket Navigation Install (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/aftermarket-navigation-install-24079/)

Clifsmith 09-04-2009 07:50 PM

Aftermarket Navigation Install

Anyone install navigation in place of the factory stereo? Can this be done on the 2004s? I am looking at a 2004 now that does not have it, but I would like to have it. The kenwood dnx6140 is the one that I would want for $750. It has bluetooth built in. I really want Nav, but want to make sure that if I end up with a Non-navigation unit, that I can add it later. I can't seem to find a double din bezel for a 2004 jag.

abwoon 09-04-2009 07:54 PM

I hope you get alot of hits on this because i want to do the same with my 2004XJ8.
Peace,
Darryl

Clifsmith 09-08-2009 12:55 PM

No one has attempted this on this forum? It is funny, I can't find anything on the net regarding aftermarket double din Nav install on the XJ8. This is a much cheaper (and better in most cases) alternative to trying to install an OEM system on a XJ that is not prewired. There are some fabulous units out there that don't require the seperate DVD unit in the trunk and the one I am looking at has SAT, bluetooth, ipod interface, all built in. I can't even find a fascia panel to put one on the XJ, so looks like I will have to build one. Of course I am assuming there is enough room in the console for one. looks like there is enough heigth, just don't know about depth. Anyone?

H20boy 09-08-2009 03:16 PM

Not sure about the XJs, but doesn't your screen have alot of climate controls built in? I can't recall.

jsherid1 09-08-2009 03:33 PM

Screen being used for HVAC is only applicable if you are working on a factory NAV equipped car. I would be interested in hearing about what is involved as well.

Clifsmith 09-08-2009 05:44 PM

The climate controls appear to be a "seperate" box above the radio. I am hoping you can remove the radio from the dash and the climate controls stay unaffected. Then custom mount the double din Nav unit and fabricate a custom bezel to cover the rest. Surely someone on this site has removed the radio and can comment on if there is room behind the factory radio (non-nav) and if the climate controls can stay mounted (and still work) after you remove the radio.

bmw745ion19s 09-08-2009 06:25 PM

Someone has put a factory navigation and climate system in a non-navigation 2004. He did a whole write up on it too. Its also been done by several of the UK forum members. Just search around a bit.

If youre set on only aftermarket check around in the s type as its the same cut-out size and I believe several people have installed aftermarket screens where the stereo part is.

Have fun with it! :) -Erik

Clifsmith 09-08-2009 08:13 PM

I saw the post on the OEM install, but I am not interested in that. Aftermarket only. The Kenwood DNX8120 is 10x better than the factory. I did look at the s-type radio and it is the same unit, however, NOBODY offers a dash kit for the XJ. only the S-type. The stype radio has a control module for something below the radio. The xj does not have that and that may be why. I guess I could try using a s-type install kit on a XJ, but I would think if it was the same that "Metra" would market it as fitting. Even "Nexxia" in the united kingdom, does not have a dash kit for XJ.

veffremov 09-09-2009 02:02 PM

Nodule pictures

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two picture so XJ8 with OEM Nav and with OEM radio. I have separated the different modules with a red line. The switchpack on the top is the same (switches dependent on the model).

I believe the radio unit is the same as the S-Type and X-Type. There may be some diffs in the plastic finish (XJ is piano black, X&S-Type are mate black), but the dimentions are the same.

With the OEM radio, the CD appears to be separate unit, but it is not. The CD is separate unit with the OEM Nav.

Post pictures of the module you are not sure about in the S-Type.

H20boy 09-09-2009 02:38 PM

Yup, looks like your talking custom faceplate. A good shop can do it, no problem. Just make sure dimensionally it will work and I say go for it.

clee 09-10-2009 06:17 PM

Aftermarket Navigation Install

I have a 2004 XJ8 without navigation. Initially I only wanted XM radio capability. I started with a wireless FM transmitter which left a lot to be desired in the sound quality department. I progressed to a wired transmitter which improved the music quality but never really approached the sound quality of my other cars that had direct digital connections. I then tried the Jaguar ACM module. This was fairly satisfactory in sound quality. I then wanted to integrate bluetooth. I checked out my options with the factory OEM stuff, and found out that it would be enormously expensive to go this route. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and I proceeded to investigate the possibility of an aftermarket system that woulld integrate digital satellite radio, bluetooth, and navigation. My research led me to the Kenwood DNX 9140. This system had Parrot bluetooth and Garmin Navigation which was my preference. I felt this unit would have the least difficulty pairing with a variety of phones, and I was already familiar with Garmin graphic user interface. The only real concern was that I wanted an install that would llook like factory. My local stereo shop did the install and it looks factory right down to the "piano black". They did a custom faceplate that was a perfect match. The system works perfectly and even has the ability to support a backup camera. The only catch is that one cannot acces the SD slot or the dvd slot withouth the transmision being in drive. This is due to the clearance needed for the screen to flip down. Otherwise, I am very happy with the double DIN install. My car now has the latest electronics without having to buy a new car. My shop even added connections so that my steering wheel controls function. My unit even has voice control. The phone book is also downloaded into the unit.
The whole system cost ~3 grand including installation. That's about 1/2 the cost of a OEM system and it functions a lot better. Hope this info is helpful.

H20boy 09-10-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by clee (Post 138998)
The only catch is that one cannot acces the SD slot or the dvd slot withouth the transmision being in drive. This is due to the clearance needed for the screen to flip down.

I was afraid of that. Take note on this, but some units may have less 'travel' from the deck, so you may be able to find one that say...exits from the top of the unit for more clearance, I think Alpine does that.

How about a pic or two clee?

Clifsmith 09-10-2009 09:16 PM

Look at the Kenwood DNX6140. Has bluetooth built in. IPOD ready, SAT ready. The screen is slightly smaller but it is fixed the CD slot is on top with a volume knob in lower left. You would not have this problem interfering with the shifter. That is the unit I think I was going to go with had I bought the car without NAV that I was this close to buying. You can buy these on EBAY all day long for $725 new. A really nice nav unit. Now that I have bought a car with NAV, I am in shock at how much it will cost to get all the components just to make it have bluetooth. Really sux about $600 for parts and that is on Ebay.

clee 09-11-2009 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
h20boy -here is a pic of my install. I went with the Kenwood unit because I wanted guarranteed I-Phone compatibility. The Alpine unit did not have this capability when I was looking 2 months ago. I eventually ended up with a Palm Pre and it works perfectly. The unit also has I-Pod connectivity support and USB connectivity. The SD card slot if for upgrading Garmin maps downloaded from their website. Note the black button switch in the lower left corner of the photo-press this button for voice activation of the system.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1252739840

Clifsmith 09-12-2009 08:43 AM

Wow, you installer did a great job on that faceplate. looks totally factory. Nice unit!

edo's jag 09-28-2009 04:35 PM

i have the same problem i jave 1998 XJ8 with oroginal radio and i would like to install a aftermarket double din navigation. but no one sell the kit i couldnt even find how to remove the radio.

ricardoa1 10-12-2009 02:00 PM

I wonder once the cars start to age if folks with the OEM navigation units will get a non nav climate control unit and convert so they can toss the touch screen unit. I hear that the NAV module costs in excess of $4000 dollars. Will this be a good option to downgrade and allow the use of aftermaket radios?

H20boy 10-13-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ricardoa1 (Post 145931)
Will this be a good option to downgrade and allow the use of aftermaket radios?

I would. The factory deck/nav unit only does so much.

clee 10-13-2009 04:14 PM

It"ds unfortunate that today"s electronics are disposable. Advances in computer technology quickly make our "state of the art electronics'' obsolete. Maybe they should make our electronics "modular" so they can be switched-out on a timely basis. But then again, the car manufacturers like this "planned obsolesence" so that we will contunue to buy their new models even though the older models still have a significant service life. All computer driven devices should have a card slot to allow for software updates without having to switch-out the entire unit.

ryejag 08-02-2012 11:58 AM

your NAV installation is very nice. Can you confirm a few details? Radio/NAV Unit? double DIN mount kit from where? wiring to steering column sound? using factory amp with wiring adapters? faceplate custom made by installer or purchased? any other details? thanks