XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air compressor not turning on after new ring seals installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air compressor not turning on after new ring seals installed

Every couple of weeks or so I would get the air suspension fault code on my dash. After reading in the forum, I found out that all is needed most of the time is to replace the the air compressor ring seals as shown in this YouTube video https://youtu.be/_BwGaP4Zaqcc

I showed my mechanic this YouTube video on how to take out the air compressor and put it back in.
We disconnected the battery replaced the 2 seals and put back in the air compressor.

5 minutes after leaving the shop I get the fault again. It was the end of the day so I had to go back to the shop the next day. When I woke up my Jag was all the way lowered to the ground.

I looked at the second video again and noticed that the air compressor has 2 electrical connectors. I was wondering if he accidentally only connected 1 and not both electrical connectors.

He put the Jag back on the lift, and made sure that both electrical connectors were attached as well as the inlet and outlet air hoses. The 4 connections were attached to the air compressor correctly.

We even checked the (F6 orange) 40A fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

I do not know what to do because the air-compressor was working fine before (just a fault every now and then) and now it is not turning on at all!!!

I do not think that we fried anything because we disconnected the battery both times we looked at it.

Please Help me.

What steps should I go do to get the air compressor running again?

This is my first Jag with an air suspension.

I live in Kansas City BTW.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Have you tried just driving the Jag for up to 20 minutes and it may kick in?

You should scan for codes also.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by klintous
Every couple of weeks or so I would get the air suspension fault code on my dash. After reading in the forum, I found out that all is needed most of the time is to replace the the air compressor ring seals as shown in this YouTube video https://youtu.be/_BwGaP4Zaqcc

I showed my mechanic this YouTube video on how to take out the air compressor and put it back in. Video Link: https://youtu.be/VwZMFe4KjOI We disconnected the battery replaced the 2 seals and put back in the air compressor.

5 minutes after leaving the shop I get the fault again. It was the end of the day so I had to go back to the shop the next day. When I woke up my Jag was all the way lowered to the ground.

I looked at the second video again and noticed that the air compressor has 2 electrical connectors. I was wondering if he accidentally only connected 1 and not both electrical connectors.

He put the Jag back on the lift, and made sure that both electrical connectors were attached as well as the inlet and outlet air hoses. The 4 connections were attached to the air compressor correctly.

We even checked the (F6 orange) 40A fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

I do not know what to do because the air-compressor was working fine before (just a fault every now and then) and now it is not turning on at all!!!

I do not think that we fried anything because we disconnected the battery both times we looked at it.

Please Help me.

What steps should I go do to get the air compressor running again?

This is my first Jag with an air suspension.

I live in Kansas City BTW.
Ok... It's been a while since I messed with my air suspension compressor...

A few things...

There is only one ring to replace on the piston of the compressor. And then the o ring gasket for the cover for the piston assembly.

Did the mechanic install the piston ring correctly? It's very easy to screw that up. (I did) Checking this first and foremost is critical!

Second, I believe the relay to the compressor is either R1 or R4 in the engine fuse box. Check that.

Third, have your mechanic scan the suspension module for any codes and clear them as already mentioned.

Finally, hopefully your mechanic didn't over tighten the air hose fitting to the compressor housing stripping the plastic threads rendering the compressor assembly compromised. (Your supposed to cut back the air line 1/2" and install a new fitting & olive) but typically can be reused if removed and refitted w/o over tightening..

Unfortunately, the compressor needs to come back out to recheck everything. Be sure to disconnect the battery before disconnecting any electrical connectors on the compressor.

The one electrical connector is for the air compressor and the other for the air relief solenoid.

If you don't the suspension module will record a code(s)...

Since your vehicle is totally lowered in theory once you start the car the compressor should kick in within 10 - 15 seconds of starting the car...

Hope the above helps..

Last edited by abonano; 04-30-2016 at 10:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by abonano:
AD2014 (05-24-2016), Don B (05-22-2016), NDW (07-17-2017)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Default update

Things I have done so far:

driven it for a total of 60 minutes all together without the system inflated

I read the code, and it is coming up P1000 code - I cleared everything a day before I took out the air compressor because the check engine light would come on for 30 seconds and turn off.

I checked the R1 and R4 relays in the engine compartment by trading the relays in the slots that are connected to components on my Jag that I know for a fact that are working.

What I will do next:

Next, I am going to take out the air compressor, and double check the 2 rings that were installed.

As shown in the video, I am going to connect it to the battery to see if it even turns on anymore.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 PM

Do you know how to manually inflate the system? I need to inflate it enough to get my jack under it, or drive it without it almost dragging on the street.

Thanks.

Last edited by klintous; 05-23-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
AD2014 (05-24-2016), Don B (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

klintous,

In case it may provide some clues, the Air Suspension section from the Dealer Service Training Manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7r...on_Section.pdf

Just a couple of thoughts: You can test for 12V across the terminals of the main harness electrical connector for the compressor (the one with a Red and Black wire attached). The12V won't be present when you first start the engine, but it should appear within a minute or so and stay on for up to 2 minutes.

I think I recall once having an Air Suspension Fault warning on the dash and the compressor would not run until I cleared the suspension fault codes using SDD. I'm not sure that simply disconnecting the battery will clear all the fault codes.

P.S. It is helpful to add the year, model and engine of your car to your signature line so others can give you the most accurate replies possible.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-24-2016 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-24-2016), EssOess (04-17-2022)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 PM

Update

I went on and purchased a new one on ebay for $350. The shop put it in and it worked with no problems right away! The shop charged me $40. It took 3 people to lift the car up enough so the arms can go under the car to put it on the 4 point car lift at the shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by klintous:
Dannybhoy44 (04-15-2022), Don B (05-26-2016)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same story here!

My 2004 XJR was riding low and showing both the Too Low error and the Air Suspension Fault.

Bought the kit from Bagpipping Andy. Put it in and the car actually sat a little lower. Compressor never came on and my troubles carried on. I reached out to Andy, who promptly responded, despite being away from home and on vacation. Thank you!

Tried to hook up 12 volts and the compressor did nothing at all. With Andy's recommendation to replace it, I jumped on Rock Auto and bought the Doerman for $288. I promptly tested it with my 12 volt supply and was pleased to hear it putt-putt away.

It came with everything attached, even the upper bracket, which I had not taken out of my car. I unbolted the three 10mm nuts, pulled it off and set about installing it.

I tried to use my existing air output line, but the brass nut had damaged threads from the repeated disassembling and reassembling. Luckily, the Dorman came with replacement swage fittings for the air line. So, I cut off my hose right next to the damaged nut and put the new one on. Andy - if you are listening - I highly recommend putting one of these little fittings in your kit. Doubt I would have been able to find exactly the right one at my local auto parts store.

Decided to remove one of the horns to get access. Installing everything went smoothly after that. With the car propped up on a lone Jack stand at the front left, I started it up and went to see if the new air compressor came on.

Nothing doing. Fortunately, however, the dashboard didn't show any of the suspension errors. So, I figured it must know it is up on a Jack stand somehow. I buttoned up the fender lining and under body cover, reattached the wheel and dropped the car.

Pretty much as soon as it hit the garage floor, I heard the air compressor come on. Woohoo! I let it run for about half an hour (it had been sitting for a couple, three weeks through all of this). Came back to see it sitting up and perky!

Happy jag. Happy owner.

I recommend bench testing your compressor before buying the kit from Andy. Luckily, I also have a 2003 Audi Allroad with an original compressor in it. So, Andy's kit won't go to waste in my house!

Good luck to all who follow!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Air suspension - detail on the compression sleeve fitting

Quick question: I was replacing my shock with a rebuilt, and noticed that the compression sleeve (small brass fitting that slides over the hose) that goes over the end of the air hose as it enters the mount on the shock had 'the slit'. I can't find info on 'the slit'. I first assumed that mine had cracked, as I couldn't figure out why a sleeve would not be a continuous ring, but I re-installed it and it seemed to work anyway. Read the posts and see that 'the slit' is mentioned, so is this an intentional manufacturer's design? Should I run to the hardware store to replace it with a 'non-slit' normal type of sleeve?

Thanks, as always, to all. This is for my 2004 xj8.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by TucsonDave
Quick question: I was replacing my shock with a rebuilt, and noticed that the compression sleeve (small brass fitting that slides over the hose) that goes over the end of the air hose as it enters the mount on the shock had 'the slit'. I can't find info on 'the slit'. I first assumed that mine had cracked, as I couldn't figure out why a sleeve would not be a continuous ring, but I re-installed it and it seemed to work anyway. Read the posts and see that 'the slit' is mentioned, so is this an intentional manufacturer's design? Should I run to the hardware store to replace it with a 'non-slit' normal type of sleeve?
Hi TuscsonDave,

That slit is correct. It allows the ring to compress around the plastic air tube when the fitting is tightened. One mistake I've made is to try to spread that slit apart so the compression fitting, ferrule or "olive" would move along the tube more freely for adjusting its position, but the brass will easily crack on the side opposite of the slit, so don't do what I did! Replacement olives are available from Jaguar and probably from third-party sources that sell air suspension parts.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (04-17-2022), paydase (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have not replaced the desacant within the pump you may continue with errors. It will only hold a certain amount of moisture before it is dead.
That is situation I had after just doing the rings. I assume you have checked for leaks with soapy water spray bottle.

Resting for winter

Old 04-15-2022, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension compressor

Originally Posted by klintous
Update

I went on and purchased a new one on ebay for $350. The shop put it in and it worked with no problems right away! The shop charged me $40. It took 3 people to lift the car up enough so the arms can go under the car to put it on the 4 point car lift at the shop.
Not sure is it worth to play with compressor!? Also buy a new one for XF about 290£ + 70€ for delivery from Germany...

Old 04-15-2022, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension fault

Had a water in boot. Removed water, replaced boot side vents but it was too late and enough for compressor after few months (moisture), replaced compressor

Old 04-15-2022, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dannybhoy44
Also buy a new one for XF about 290£ + 70€ for delivery from Germany...
Hello Dannybhoy44,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Before submitting any more posts, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (04-17-2022)