XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault 2004 XJR

Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air Suspension Fault 2004 XJR

I hope there is someone that can help me with my issue. Yesterday I got into my car and started driving like I normally do....Next thing you know I noticed that the drive was a lot more bumpy so I pulled over and saw my front end raised as high as possible...Don't know how that happen so I turned around to head back home...all of the sudden I heard a pop! Before you know it my front of the car ended up all the way down almost on top of my tires... When I opened the hood of the car I noticed that the air hose supplying air to the shock blew off due to too much pressure going to the shocks...I have put back the air hose how it suppose to be and the car started to raise back up...my issue is that the car will keep raising all the way up until pressure builds up and again pops the air hose out again...It seems like that can does not know when to stop supplying air to the shocks. The back of the car seemed normal yesterday and when I started to troubleshoot it today I noticed that the back end lost all the pressure and is sitting almost on the tires and the front end is raised all the way up ... I don't know what is the issue here? The pump seems to be working fine as it raises front of the car with no issues....Doesn't seem to have a leak as it stays raised up the whole time unless I release the pressure manually...Could it be leveling sensor that went bad? Or could it be a relay? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

If you scroll up to the top of this forum you will see a quick link to "How to":

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20085/

There are two or three links there that you should read on the Air Suspension which will help you understand and troubleshoot the system.

Your system is clearly confused, which means the module controlling it is either getting signals it shouldn't, outputting signals it shouldn't, or those signals aren't being communicated.

Often what appears to be complex issue or a failed module is more likely to be a wiring or connector problem, water ingress, or poor ground.

Also in the link above is a DOWNLOADS link, there you can access links to electrical diagrams which you will need.

Easiest and first thing to do would be to throughly clean all ground points identified in the Air Suspension Electrical Schematic. CAUTION, these are aluminum and so be very careful with torque, they are VERY easy to snap off. Second, given how weird it is behaving, I'd suspect water ingress somewhere effecting the electronics, wiring, or a connector.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by kamilf0305
Doesn't seem to have a leak as it stays raised up the whole time unless I release the pressure manually...Could it be leveling sensor that went bad? Or could it be a relay? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Hi kamilf0305,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us, though I'm sorry you're having issues with your air suspension. FYI I've deleted your post in the X308 forum as this is the correct forum for your X350.

From your description, I would suspect a problem with either the front height sensor or the valve block under the spare tire in the trunk.

Unless your car is a very early '04, it only has one height sensor at the front, and if I recall correctly, it's on the left side.

The valve block and air reservoir tank are under the spare tire and a sound-deadining foam cover. Water leaking into the trunk has been known to collect in that area, so check for corrosion on the electrical connectors at the valve block. The valve block is responsible for apportioning air pressure to the front and rear air springs as needed.

The loud "pop" you heard is of concern since it could indicate something has been damaged in a way that poses a safety risk, so you need to have the system inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic. You also need to have the stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) scanned by a system capable of reading the proprietary Jaguar codes - an ordinary OBDII scanner can only read the generic P codes (Powertrain), but you probably have some C (Chassis) codes and possibly B (Body) and U (Undefined, mostly Network) codes.

Please let us know the codes that are stored and we'll try to offer advice.

Also, since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we may give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (03-23-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Default Paul Mild

If you scroll up to the top of this forum you will see a quick link to "How to":

X350 / X358 'HOW TO' quick links

There are two or three links there that you should read on the Air Suspension which will help you understand and troubleshoot the system.

Your system is clearly confused, which means the module controlling it is either getting signals it shouldn't, outputting signals it shouldn't, or those signals aren't being communicated.

Often what appears to be complex issue or a failed module is more likely to be a wiring or connector problem, water ingress, or poor ground.

Also in the link above is a DOWNLOADS link, there you can access links to electrical diagrams which you will need.

Easiest and first thing to do would be to throughly clean all ground points identified in the Air Suspension Electrical Schematic. CAUTION, these are aluminum and so be very careful with torque, they are VERY easy to snap off. Second, given how weird it is behaving, I'd suspect water ingress somewhere effecting the electronics, wiring, or a connector. __________________

Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default similar problem with rear suspension

I appear to be having a similar problem but with the rear air shocks.

My 04 xj8 rear suspension is frozen in the max extend position. It acts like there is no suspension at all, more like the wheels are welded on.i have no messages and no codes.

I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to reset but to no avail.

Is there any way to reset this system or release the air pressure or test the level sensor?

I am now reading the suggested "how-to" posts but any additional info will be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM

I was not able to find out what the issue is. I was able to release the pressure by pulling the air hoses that supply the air to the shocks. Then I pulled out the fuse that pumps the shocks back up In order to drive to a mechanic. Once I find out what the issue is I will get back to you guys. Hopefully it won't be an expensive bill.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 PM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Try an ECU reset. Disconnect the battery cables, hold the positive and negative cable ends together and then reconnect to battery. This will clear codes and stored memory. If it repeats the other suggestions such as height sensor, connectors or valve block could be the issue.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

kamilf0305, I am having the exact same issue on my '04 XJR. The front end hyper-extended, and the rear almost down to the bump stops.

The car has had intermittent Air Suspension Faults for a few years now, but not much difference in the ride height. Recently, while changing the oil, I noticed that the height sensor on the lower right control arm was out of place. I moved it into the proper position...and that's when things got weird. Taking it out after the oil change, the ride was noticeably different - bouncy. Parked the car...moved the sensor over the other "wrong" way and the car lowered...buy too far down and I experienced my first "Ride Too Low" warning.

Tried an ECU reset. That didn't work. I do have a cable and SDD software, but I kept getting "can not connect to control unit" or some such error(s). So off the the dealership the car went. Got the call yesterday, the diagnosis was a bad valve block and sensor.

Just don't have the time for a DIY on this one. But there has to be a source for the block/valve/solenoid/manifold whatever it is ,and a sensor. Doesn't look that hard to
replace.

On a side note...the dealership gave me a 2015 XF Sport AWD for a loaner. Great car! Kinda growing on me. But, I can't wait to get my XJR back though. So much smoother and more powerful! The XF has plenty of power, but the XJR delivers it with such an effortless brutality.

Last edited by FlamurAdili; 03-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamurAdili
So off the the dealership the car went. Got the call yesterday, the diagnosis was a bad valve block and sensor.

Just don't have the time for a DIY on this one. But there has to be a source for the block/valve/solenoid/manifold whatever it is ,and a sensor. Doesn't look that hard to
replace.

Hi FlamurAdili,

Thanks for adding your helpful report to this thread. From your description, I was expecting you to tell us the dealer had just needed to recalibrate the system due to the front height sensor having been displaced, but the dealer's diagnosis of a bad valve block and sensor seems to confirm what we've suspected about the issues the OP and others in this thread are experiencing.

Regarding the valve block and pressure sensor, Jaguar describes the assembly as a "non-serviceable part," and insists that it must be replaced as a unit. However, from the research I've done, I'm convinced the valve block is sourced from Wabco, and the pressure sensor is marked Denso. The same parts are probably used on other vehicles, so I'm hopeful that someday one of our members will find a more affordable source.

Slightly off topic, but while I'm thinking about it, the Jaguar ECATS air suspension is just an adaptation of Wabco's ECAS system. The system schematic in the Jaguar manuals is taken right out of Wabco's publications, and aside from the Bilstein Air Spring/Damper units, the rest of the system is sourced from Wabco, including the ASM.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-26-2015 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Don,

A resetting of the the sensor location and a calibration was my initial hope.

Another thing to keep in mind are your wheels (if you have aftermarket/winter wheels). The calibration tool is designed to fit into the OE wheel openings. If the calibration tool does not fit into the wheel lug holes, the technician will have to do a bit of "eye balling" when taking the measurement from the center of the wheel to underneath the wheel arch.

Last edited by FlamurAdili; 03-27-2015 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlamurAdili:
Don B (03-27-2015), lcmjaguar (03-27-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:52 PM

I am having similar issues with my wife's VDP. I first thought that it was only the rear shocks that were over extended but now find that the front ones are also overextending.
This is an intermittent problem but it seems to be getting worse. Can a Ford dealer read the codes? It has a display on the instrument panel that reads "SUSPENSION FAULT" some of the time that this problem occurs. I very rarely drive this car so I have only been in the car once when this happened, (today), and it cleared up on our return trip in the afternoon. Any help will be greatly appreciated!