XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault & Vehicle Too Low

Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension Fault & Vehicle Too Low

I have a 2005 XJ8 L and when ever it is cold out my suspension goes down and takes at least 40 min to come up. Also I continually get an Air suspension fault light. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? I have already changed the right front shock.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

Welcome to the forum sublime33,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to the X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Last edited by Don B; 03-03-2015 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sublime33 (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Mine has done the same. It's stranded now 1500 miles from home. Whatever you do, never drive the car from warm to cold temperatures until you get it fixed properly or you'll have what happened to me.

sublime33 (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime33
I have a 2005 XJ8 L and when ever it is cold out my suspension goes down and takes at least 40 min to come up. Also I continually get an Air suspension fault light. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? I have already changed the right front shock.

Hi sublime33,

Your symptoms are very common with the X350 and based on the reports of many members, the most common causes seem to be a worn piston ring seal in the air compressor and one or more air leaks in the system. Replacing the piston ring is relatively easy and inexpensive using a kit from our forum member at bagpipingandy.com .

Tracking down leaks can be as simple as spritizing soapy water on the air hose fittings at the tops of each air spring/damper and on the connections at the valve block and air reservoir in the trunk under the spare wheel. A leaks at a hose fitting is usually remedied by trimming about 1/2 inch off the hose with a clean, square cut, and using a new compression fitting or "olive."

Another common problem is a leak in the rubber seal at the top of an air spring, which worsens in cold weather. We have that problem on our '04 but I've just been living with it. What I've learned is that if, when I first start the car on a cold day, I'll leave the transmission in Park and wait until the air compressor has started and run its full allotted time (maximum of two minutes after the compressor starts, which can take up to a minute or so). Often, that will be enough to raise the front end of the car to its proper ride height, but if not, I shut off the engine, wait 45 seconds to allow the air compressor piston ring and cylinder to cool, then restart the engine and wait for the compressor to run its full cycle. With rare exceptions, two cycles has been enough on even really cold days, but I did recently have a day when it was around 18F and the compressor ran but would not raise the front end. I suspect the exhaust valve in the compressor was frozen open.

When the engine is first started, the system attempts to fill the suspension from the air reservoir. If there is insufficient pressure, the air compressor will run for up to two full minutes. But if you move the gear selector out of Park, the compressor shuts off and will not run again until the vehicle speed exceeds 25 mph, and it will shut off if the speed falls below 18 mph. If you drive too far without the vehicle achieving correct ride height, you'll get the Air Suspension Fault (ASF).

When the weather warms up, I intend to clean the exhuast valve and also see if I can do something to correct the leak in the top seal of our front right air spring.

There are many threads on these topics, so it would be worth your time to use the search function to research all the information already available.

Also, download the document at the link below, which is the most thorough explanation of the air suspension we've found:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
rtcosic (03-09-2015), sublime33 (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension Fault & Vehicle Too Low

Thanks!!!!!! Don B. I now have options on how to proceed. I think I will change out the compressor and check all the lines for leaks. But since this only happens when it is real cold outside I assume this may be something I will have to continue to deal with in the cold.

AD2014 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sublime33
I think I will change out the compressor and check all the lines for leaks.
Please consider just replacing the piston ring in your compressor with bagpipingandy's inexpensive kit. It's a fraction of the cost of a new compressor, and aside from the piston ring and some internal corrosion that can be cleaned, there is very little that can go wrong with the compressor. I can provide photos of the necessary work and Andy has some videos on his website.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Mine is doing the same only when it gets to 30f and below. I recently changed the piston rings with Andy's set. I have a good solid compressor now, but have since realised it is the front left air shock.

BTW although not recommended, I have driven the vehicle for abut 50 miles while in the low vehicle /fault suspension mode. Its a bit choppy when going over any bump but when needs must !!!!

mdgcentral (12-26-2020)
Old 03-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
Mine is doing the same only when it gets to 30f and below. I recently changed the piston rings with Andy's set. I have a good solid compressor now, but have since realised it is the front left air shock.

BTW although not recommended, I have driven the vehicle for abut 50 miles while in the low vehicle /fault suspension mode. Its a bit choppy when going over any bump but when needs must !!!!
I did the same, but gave up after a nasty sound developed in the front end. The car is being converted to coilovers next week.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

As I mentioned several times in the past, I had my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L's air suspension system converted over by a Goodyear service center to Arnott C-2290 coil/springs last March. There's just no sense dickering around with a 'fair weather' air suspension system given that the coil/spring option is available, and especially so for those located in the northern regions. I'm highly satisfied with the ride since the changeover, and have never looked back.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Get the Air Compressor ring kit form bagpipingandy before you change out the Air Compressor. It's a cheap and easy fix and it may take care of you for a while.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Please consider just replacing the piston ring in your compressor with bagpipingandy's inexpensive kit. It's a fraction of the cost of a new compressor, and aside from the piston ring and some internal corrosion that can be cleaned, there is very little that can go wrong with the compressor. I can provide photos of the necessary work and Andy has some videos on his website.
Where do I access?
Thanks

Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by acbsfb
Re: Please consider just replacing the piston ring in your compressor with bagpipingandy's inexpensive kit. It's a fraction of the cost of a new compressor, and aside from the piston ring and some internal corrosion that can be cleaned, there is very little that can go wrong with the compressor. I can provide photos of the necessary work and Andy has some videos on his website.
Where do I access?

Hi acbsfb,

My phototutorial can be viewed in seven parts at the following links. Most owners don't bother replacing the desiccant in the air dryer as I did:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Bagpipingandy has some videos at his website, they just aren't specific to the Jaguar X350:

http://www.bagpipingandy.com/installation.html

Arnott Industries has this video showing the removal and installation of their replacement compressors which may be helpful:

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (03-12-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by acbsfb
Where do I access?
Thanks

get jaguar compressor kits here my friend

Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJR X350 Air Suspension Compressor Pump Seal Repair Kit | eBay

any questions please just ask,

install video guide here:

http://www.bagpipingandy.com/installation.html

best regards

Andy

The following 2 users liked this post by Bagpipingandy:
lcmjaguar (03-11-2015), nycturbovr6 (03-11-2015)