XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Sunroof Leak, Wet Floorboard, need a part number

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sunroof Leak, Wet Floorboard, need a part number

Im getting wet passenger side (us) floorboards on my 2004 XJ. I've narrowed the leak down to the sunroof ruubergasket, there is no seal on the front right corner and theres water build up on the panel underneath the sunroof.

It appears to be traveling down the A-pillar along side the door molding, underneath the glovebox to finally make it to the floor carpeting.

I inspected the air inlet, cabin filter location. also all of the water drains are working properly since my father and I used a hose to cancel that out.

The help that I need is a part # so I can order a new sunroof rubber gasket/molding. Thanks for the help in advance

-Victor

Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Strateloss, from my point of view, you actually have 2 issues. One is the one that state with the rubber gasket not being 100% there. The other issue is that your drain lines are plugged for the sunroof. The gasket on the sunroof is not meant to be a weather tight seal. IT is really there only to stop the wind noise. IF you note, the gasket points straight up and forms a trough for the water to remain outside of the passenger compartment. You may find that if you can clear the blockage, you won't need a new gasket unless you are wind noise.

To clear, what I normally do is open up the sunroof and allow the glass to retract back into the overhead. I then stand up in the sunroof opening. From here, I look in the 4 corners and find the drain holes (not sure how many are in your vehicle). I then use a can of compressed air (like you use to clean your keyboard) and wrap some masking tape around the straw to build it up to just larger than the opening for the drain. I then stick the straw in the opening, give the straw a squeeze to allow some of the compressed air to push the plug out. I then follow it up with allowing 1-2 quarts of water to flow down the drain to help flush out anything that may be left behind.

Using the can of compressed air, the pressure is low enough that you don't have to worry about rupturing the tube in the body panels of the vehicle.

As for the part, give ken@britishparts.com a call and he should be able to hook you up with the gasket. He will make sure you get the correct part. He is a member here and I have used him a few times. I'm very pleased with his service.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Hey thank you thermo, upon first inspection all of the drains appeared to be good. Even the ones on the sunroof. The problem (at least it seems so) is that there is too much of a gap in the rubber and too much water is getting passed it, basicly flooding the area.

I already ordered the seal, I tried getting a part number so I can order from motorcar unltd. I needed to get this ordered ASAP since NYC is expecting rain from thursday on. I found a porsche landrover jaguar site that has full photos of almost every part of the XJ and ordered it from there. $65 shipped

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Thermo, that is great advise on the masking tape!
Good 1.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rick, I have all sorts of little quick fixes like that. If you ever need an idea for getting out of a jam, let me know. Granted, sometimes just having the correct tool is all that is needed. But, when you have a large tool box to play with, it can make it a lot more fun.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM

again thanks, ill be giving the sunroof drains a once over with a can of compressed air.

the seal on mine still needs replacing since it is letting way too much water into the one corner in particular.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water on floorboards

That's some good advice guys. I have a 2007 S-type R and the rear floorboards are wet. The passenger side more so than the driver's side is the wettest. The car has a horrible musky smell is how I realized there was an issue with water. I will try the compressed air solution and see if it works for me.
I love this forum. It has saved me a lot of $$$ from taking it to the dealership.

Thanks again!