XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Can a Throttle Position Sensor" be rebuilt? And what would it take to rebuild one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Replacement TPS

Sorry for the delay...had a flippin' stent put in a heart artery. Felt fine until I didn't. Lesson learned.

Well, I found several places that sell a replacement for the OEM TPS made by Denso. Yay. Ordered from Amazon. They have everything except nukes and I expect to see them by year's end. I installed the new part (no markings; gotta believe it was from China) and it sorta worked, but was requiring a lot of tweaking to get the idle speed to around 800 in park. Then it was fluctuating. so...

Took the old TPS and cleaned it up with some contact cleaner, canned compressed air and then a light electronics lube spray. Reinstalled and got my idle speed and idiot messages cleared after going through gears and driving around the cul-de-sac a bit. Now Idles around 650rpm in gear and stopped.

BTW...once I got the 'security torx' bolts off the TPS, I went to an auto parts store or maybe a big box store and got same pitch/same length/same diameter hex bolts. I forget. Had to do some work on my '89 Jeep Wrangler and it has a mix of SAE and Metric nuts and bolts and I was going to the nearest parts store as required. Thank you Chrysler.

So the TPS cannot be rebuilt, but they can be revived. I'll let y'all know if I run into a glitch.

Cheers,

Randy

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (01-09-2016)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa760041
Sorry for the delay...had a flippin' stent put in a heart artery. Felt fine until I didn't. Lesson learned.

Well, I found several places that sell a replacement for the OEM TPS made by Denso. Yay. Ordered from Amazon. They have everything except nukes and I expect to see them by year's end. I installed the new part (no markings; gotta believe it was from China) and it sorta worked, but was requiring a lot of tweaking to get the idle speed to around 800 in park. Then it was fluctuating. so...

Took the old TPS and cleaned it up with some contact cleaner, canned compressed air and then a light electronics lube spray. Reinstalled and got my idle speed and idiot messages cleared after going through gears and driving around the cul-de-sac a bit. Now Idles around 650rpm in gear and stopped.

BTW...once I got the 'security torx' bolts off the TPS, I went to an auto parts store or maybe a big box store and got same pitch/same length/same diameter hex bolts. I forget. Had to do some work on my '89 Jeep Wrangler and it has a mix of SAE and Metric nuts and bolts and I was going to the nearest parts store as required. Thank you Chrysler.

So the TPS cannot be rebuilt, but they can be revived. I'll let y'all know if I run into a glitch.

Cheers,

Randy
Did you just clean up the contacts or did you open the TPS up and clean up the insides?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I removed the TPS. I did not open up the TPS, just flipped it over then sprayed contact cleaner into the area that houses the spring. Sprayed a lot of contact cleaner around the spring hoping it would get to the wipers inside the TPS. Rotated the spring mechanism many, many times for about a minute then flush outed the CC with compressed air. I followed up with the electronics lube which helps keep wipers moving smoothly and provides some protection against future internal corrosion. Two years later all is working well. 650 RPM in gear and stopped.

The following 3 users liked this post by rsa760041:
Amphigory (04-18-2018), meirion1 (02-08-2018), Victor Marquez (02-08-2018)