XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Can't find Audio Source button to choose iPhone for BT music playing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can't find Audio Source button to choose iPhone for BT music playing

I found several videos on YouTube that were in a 2007 XJ8 like mine and their Nav/Audio screens are very different. I saw a video where when you pressed the Audio button you could press CD and then a Source button appeared. You could press that and choose your already paired phone and then play music through the audio system. My '07 XJ8 does not have that screen. Is there a way to update the system? Can one use the hidden menu (ie press phone and menu then 1971) to get to a screen that allows you to choose different options to get to the screen I'm describing. I would try that, but only with specific instructions because I just got the car and am unfamiliar with all the options and don't want to press something wrong and do something stupid!!

So, again, can one either get an update from Jag or do it by one's self to get the Audio Source button so I can stream my paired phone's music inb my '07 XJ8?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Some x350's have the bluetooth connectivity option installed. It sounds like yours doesn't.

It is always possible to get an FM transmitter, or do like I did and install an aux input. IIRC getting the actual Jaguar bluetooth module that was installed in the car originally is both extremely rare and expensive.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM

My iPhone is already paired via Bluetooth. The issue is that the Source button doesn't appear that allows me to stream music from the iPhone as others with '07's seem able to do. My menu doesn't give that option, hence my question whether I can update the system to get that option.

I'll consider an FM transmitter, but would prefer being able to do it va the onboard system.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wmlaven
My iPhone is already paired via Bluetooth. The issue is that the Source button doesn't appear that allows me to stream music from the iPhone as others with '07's seem able to do. My menu doesn't give that option, hence my question whether I can update the system to get that option.

I'll consider an FM transmitter, but would prefer being able to do it va the onboard system.
I would try getting into the diagnostics menu and seeing if the option for the bluetooth module is checked. See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/peculiar-issue-my-x350-nav-unit-thinks-its-x400-resolved-199452/

Maybe you have the bluetooth module installed but the car does not realize it for some reason. Manually telling the car you have it might work.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wmlaven
I found several videos on YouTube that were in a 2007 XJ8 like mine and their Nav/Audio screens are very different. I saw a video where when you pressed the Audio button you could press CD and then a Source button appeared.
Could you post a link to one of the videos? I'm afraid there is no streaming capability in the factory bluetooth module, it's for telephone connectivity only.

Ben

Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I don't recall any of the X350/X358s having bluetooth streaming from the factory, just phone functions.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by benwillcox
Could you post a link to one of the videos? I'm afraid there is no streaming capability in the factory bluetooth module, it's for telephone connectivity only.

Ben
I just went looking for those videos and BUMMER, realized they were for an '08 and later. The videos I had found about the '07 referred to other aspects of the Nav screen. I just got a Bluetooth/FM modulator device that allows me to stream music from my iPhone through the FM radio so that works ok. Thanks all for your suggestions.