XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Considering an X350

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering an X350

have a 2006 xk8 with about 56,000 miles and thinking about getting a xj . the 95 caddy is starting to show her age. have had the xk8 for about a year and the only problem has been the cruse control. would be looking for a 2005 to 2007. any suggestions or does or don't s?

Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Your speaking of a x350 (03-06) or a x358 (07-09). I'll see if I can get a mod to move this for ya so you can get more concise answers.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Jim,

I have moved your thread from the forum for the X308 to the forum for the X350, which as Highhorse mentioned is the Jaguar factory project code for the XJ8 and variants beginning in 2004 in the U.S. (2003 in the U.K.).

A good place to look for answers to your questions is this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-know-112913/

Cheers,

Don

Sean W (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle jim
have a 2006 xk8 with about 56,000 miles and thinking about getting a xj . the 95 caddy is starting to show her age. have had the xk8 for about a year and the only problem has been the cruse control. would be looking for a 2005 to 2007. any suggestions or does or don't s?
My 2 cents Jim - the XK8 and XJ X350 or 358 are worlds apart. Normally, I'd assume you know this but it's never a good idea to assume. I went from an 05 Super V8 to and 07 X150. They don't remotely compare to each other with the exception of the same engine and transmission and a few other similar parts.

Read through the link Don sent you. You'll find common problems that are the most expensive are suspension and bushings. Virtually all of the cars in the age you're looking for are either in need of repair of those components or had them done.
Many have converted their suspension from air to coil over springs. I wouldn't own one, but if I were to make an offer on a car that did a coil over conversion, I drop $3000 from a normal offer. That's me, just my opinion. Others have the exact opposite opinion and whatever works for you is most important. Don't expect the same ride as OEM though.

The car itself is comparable to a Mercedes S Class. The Supercharged engine is a delight and the highway mileage is incredible. If you are a DIYer, these cars are fun to own but you will spend time working on them. Parts are spendy.

I no longer need a sedan but if I wanted one, I would go back to the XJ - this time an XJR (still supercharged but shorter wheel base). I'd look for a low mileage and a full history. 05-07 hold no resale value. @ 10 years, regardless of miles (with few exceptions) the prices fall off a cliff.

Don B (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with Sean, and I did do a little assuming before I bought the x100 after owning the x350. I thought they would be more similar than they are. It's not really a bad thing they aren't, they're just...different.

I must say if I were to choose only one to own, it would be the XJ....as much as I like the XK. The XK rides harder (perhaps I'm just getting old?), but is sportier feeling. The XJ is more floaty but rides quite a bit nicer with the air suspension. The headroom in the XJ is great compared to the XK (I'm just over 6' tall). Getting in and out of the XJ is much easier. The interior on the XJ is better thought out and nicer in my opinion, which is funny to say because I have a limited edition XK vs a base XJ with a few add ons.

Overall for you I think coming from an XK into an XJ it is easier to love because the XJ has more luxury car feel to it (if that is what you are looking for). That said, I still itch to drive the XK more, perhaps because it is newer to me, and the "fun" factor is there. Plus I guess I'm just vain and like the looks of the XK a bit more because of the "sports car" aspect.

These are all, ofcourse, opinions and your mileage may vary.

The following 2 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Don B (04-08-2017), Sean W (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Commonality between your 2006 XK and an X350/358 is they both have the bodyshells made from aluminium, riveted and glued together. The suspension is basically the same too, except that the XK uses coil springs, the X350 is air-sprung. Don't think this gives you a Magic Carpet ride, because it doesn't ! The famous Jaguar ride of the old steel XJs seems to have been dumped to fit in with this modern mania for "sport" and "handling", as if we're all driving on a race track every day . What hooey !! Having said that the ride is OK, and the smaller the wheels the better the ride.

I'm now on my second one, an X358 XJ6 Sovereign. The previous one was an 2003 XJ6 Sport. I part-exed this for the Sovereign. Early cars can have a fairly eye-watering maintenance burden in the suspension area, mainly bushes on the front and rear lower wishbones. The air spring units are expensive to replace, but these are normally OK, it is the compressor that can wear out, but is not hugely expensive.

Just as an aside, I bought my first X350 at 30k miles and had to put a new compressor on it at 35k. The replacement compressor was still on the car and OK when I part-exed it last October on 115k miles. I was told by an ex-Jaguar engineer that early Wabco compressors were troublesome and a lot never lasted the warranty period. My experience seems to fit this.

Don B (04-09-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:10 PM

^^^^^
If I'm not mistaken he has a US 2006 XK, which would make it steel bodied.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
I agree with Sean, and I did do a little assuming before I bought the x100 after owning the x350. I thought they would be more similar than they are. It's not really a bad thing they aren't, they're just...different.

I must say if I were to choose only one to own, it would be the XJ....as much as I like the XK. The XK rides harder (perhaps I'm just getting old?), but is sportier feeling. The XJ is more floaty but rides quite a bit nicer with the air suspension. The headroom in the XJ is great compared to the XK (I'm just over 6' tall). Getting in and out of the XJ is much easier. The interior on the XJ is better thought out and nicer in my opinion, which is funny to say because I have a limited edition XK vs a base XJ with a few add ons.

Overall for you I think coming from an XK into an XJ it is easier to love because the XJ has more luxury car feel to it (if that is what you are looking for). That said, I still itch to drive the XK more, perhaps because it is newer to me, and the "fun" factor is there. Plus I guess I'm just vain and like the looks of the XK a bit more because of the "sports car" aspect.

These are all, ofcourse, opinions and your mileage may vary.

Chilly have you driven the x150? More headroom and far better seat comfort than the X100. Still sits low though. I think even though it's 4" vs. 5.6" X350 ground clearance, the seats must sit lower. I'm 6'3" and notice the difference getting in and out of the car is significant. I may have even grunted once or twice
I think the cockpit is a bit roomier in the X150 than the X350, but that may just be related to no key in your knee.

chillyphilly (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Sean, I have not. That is good to hear that the head room has improved over the previous model. I am surprised to hear the interior front seat room feels more roomy in the XJ. Why Jaguar placed the key in your knee feature on both the models I own is beyond me.

I looked at both the x100 and the x150 when I was in the market. I use this one for business and as such drive quite a bit, so I decided to go with the older model and not feel too bad about racking up miles. I do, however, have plans to move into the x150 next, though it will probably be a few years. As a second car these coupes/convertibles can be splendid. As an only vehicle I may have a harder time with it, though it sounds like the x150 may work better for that.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank all of you. I will not be giving up my xk8,We just always had 2 cars and my wife always wants to pack the kitchen sink when we go anywhere. plus sometimes you don't want to take out the xk. Looks like from ALL of your responses although a little different, an xj wouldn't be any different to maintain then my xk and the ride would be as expected from a luxury car plus I like the lines of the 350 series.
THANK YOU ALL. love this forum.
uncle jim

Old 04-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncle jim
Thank all of you. I will not be giving up my xk8,We just always had 2 cars and my wife always wants to pack the kitchen sink when we go anywhere. plus sometimes you don't want to take out the xk. Looks like from ALL of your responses although a little different, an xj wouldn't be any different to maintain then my xk and the ride would be as expected from a luxury car plus I like the lines of the 350 series.
THANK YOU ALL. love this forum.
uncle jim
Yep. Gorgeous car. You know Jaguar so you know what you're getting into. I did a national search to get mine. It was worth it, including the travel and shipping. Still paid less than book.