XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Creaking/squeaking emanating from the rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Creaking/squeaking emanating from the rear suspension

My 06 XJR has developed a loud creaking/squeaking noise emanating from the rear left suspension area . When going over bumpy driveways & roads it making the sound of somebody jumping on a metal coil box frame of a bed.

I took it to a mechanic for its 90k inspection, but the little ***** didn't make a noise for the mechanic, as it was raining that day. However, the mechanic did notice torn boots on both lower rear control arm bushes.

Is there any way to isolate the cause of the creaking/squeaking noise? So, at least I can get the correct part.
Also, I did notice a few weeks ago the rear was down when I left the car in the cold for a week, so don't know if it could be the air strut.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Lower control arm bushings

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
My 06 XJR has developed a loud creaking/squeaking noise emanating from the rear left suspension area . When going over bumpy driveways & roads it making the sound of somebody jumping on a metal coil box frame of a bed.

I took it to a mechanic for its 90k inspection, but the little ***** didn't make a noise for the mechanic, as it was raining that day. However, the mechanic did notice torn boots on both lower rear control arm bushes.

Is there any way to isolate the cause of the creaking/squeaking noise? So, at least I can get the correct part.
Also, I did notice a few weeks ago the rear was down when I left the car in the cold for a week, so don't know if it could be the air strut.
This is a high failure component. Several have purchased Hydobushes and pressed in to replace failed bushings.
My driver side front lower bushing was held together by the bolt on a 2006 XJR at 99,000 miles. It squeaked and clunked.
Complete arms have gone up. The Jaguar is used on Ford Thunderbirds, Lincoln LS, and Jaguar S type. The bushings fail on all, in the US the Ford and Lincoln lower arms are much cheaper than Jaguar.
Two years ago the Ford sourced arms were 270 each. Jaguar is cast into the arms.
If a lot cheaper I would use Moog or another brand. All four bushings on a nine year old car should be trashed.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

I have seen (and heard) the rear squeak before.

It was the ball joint on the upper wishbone.

The squeak disappeared when wet.

Not sure how to prove it without dismantling.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Ok, just finished having my cat's rear suspension looked at by Jaguar. Their diagnosis is the two rear lower control arms need replacing and both rear struts should be replaced too. The squeaking is coming from the left lower control arm. So, now I need to decide on re-bushing the lower arms or replacing with new. Obviously, I wouldn't have Jaguar do the work as their quote was ridiculous $$$$$.

Would it be worth doing the upper control arms at the same time?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Default Inspect yourself

Look at Rock Auto for complete lower arms to see if this route works best for you. Add labor of pressing the bushing to bushing replacement cost.
I would pull each rear wheel off and visually inspect the upper ball joint boots. Look at those bushings also. Wiggle UCA to check play.
With the wheel off check the toe adjusters too. These fail once the boots fall apart.
The UCA and toe adjusters are not real expensive. Plus same year Ford T-Bird and Lincoln LS use the same rear suspension parts.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:11 PM

I bought my front end bushes and A arms from Rock Auto. However, their price for the OEM Lemforder rear lower control arms are $300+ea. Best I can see for OEM is $269 from Welsh.

It looks like the non replaceable rubber bush is cracked/torn on the RL lower control arm. So, I'm looking at new arm/s. I'll take a closer look tonight with the wheel off.

Moog have the rk621952 control arm for Lincoln LS 02-03 & T-Bird 00-02 are $150. Has anybody used the Moog arms or know anything about their reliability??

Old 06-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
I bought my front end bushes and A arms from Rock Auto. However, their price for the OEM Lemforder rear lower control arms are $300+ea. Best I can see for OEM is $269 from Welsh.

It looks like the non replaceable rubber bush is cracked/torn on the RL lower control arm. So, I'm looking at new arm/s. I'll take a closer look tonight with the wheel off.

Moog have the rk621952 control arm for Lincoln LS 02-03 & T-Bird 00-02 are $150. Has anybody used the Moog arms or know anything about their reliability??
I think you need a later model rear arm. The 2000-2002 Ford arms fit the x308 and not a x350.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

my wife refused to drive my our xtype because it sounded like a hay wagon when travelling slow, and fast.

i went rear underside and sprayed the crap outta the back end with pb blaster

20 or so miles later and the squeeking stopped, and that was over a year ago

Old 06-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Default Which PB Blaster spray?

Originally Posted by slownlo
my wife refused to drive my our xtype because it sounded like a hay wagon when travelling slow, and fast.

i went rear underside and sprayed the crap outta the back end with pb blaster

20 or so miles later and the squeeking stopped, and that was over a year ago
The silicone spray lubricant will not attack the rubber. The penetrating oil may be hard on these fragile rubber boots.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM

After my GF failed (too light for the job), I enlisted my beefy cousin from Chicago to come south and push down on the rear end whilst I crawled under my cat. I was able to locate the squeak'n bush, I added grease to the bushes that had perished boots, but that didn't quieten it down.

I managed to remove the tire and inspect the silent block bushes and they weren't as bad as originally thought, they had a very tiny amount of surface cracking starting around the the outside of the embedded holes.

So I could get away with just pressing in new bushes

Where's the best place to source the bushes from in the US?

I know Lemforder do make them and they're available from Germany on ebay or Racing Green, but I would rather source them from a US supplier if possible.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:07 PM

****UPDATE****

4 x original Lemforder bushes ordered from Germany.

Here's the UK webpage for the German company:
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/lemforder/7889001