XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Driving Long vs. Short Wheelbase Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been driving XJR's for 8 years and it is by far the best automobile I have ever owned. I look forward to many many more years of enjoyment. Brits done good.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Let me tell you more about the 100K miler I passed up. It ran great. It performed well. Everything worked right. But it hadn't been cared for nicely. Additionally, like I said, it was missing documents and key fobs. Given the advice I've received and the in-depth research I've already performed, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on a car with such mileage, if it shows signs of having been properly cared for.

There are plenty of these cars available right now. I can afford to be choosy.

Tell you what: driving that car was AWESOME! I found it highly amusing when the traction control had to frequently assert itself over my aggressive proddings! Driving them with traction control on is kind of like riding a race horse and keeping the reins tight, but more fun!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Well, just wait 'til you own one, have some seat time, and then gather the cajones to get assertive with the traction control OFF!! That is heaven!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Steve, you're mercilessly tantalizing me!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Yes indeed. I am imagining what it must be like to be in mid-powerslide in an XJR. Laugh out loud fun it must be.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
Steve, you're mercilessly tantalizing me!

That, my friend......is my job!!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Yes indeed. I am imagining what it must be like to be in mid-powerslide in an XJR. Laugh out loud fun it must be.

It is, so long as you have plenty of room to work with if the big beast gets away from you. :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Just take a look at this if you want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM7PhvxMkY

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Just take a look at this if you want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM7PhvxMkY

If you watch carefully you'll see the Jag getting just a bit raggedy when pushed hard on the "Alpine test track".

Cheers
DD

Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I've always been very fond of the long wheelbase cars. Personally I think they look sleeker and more elegant with the added stretch to the back door. I tend to prefer larger (yet tasteful) wheels on late-model cars such as the x350 (I have the 20" Sepangs on mine), and I just don't think the short cars look as smooth with the larger wheels.. I don't know.. They seem to look a bit roller-skate-ish. However with 18s they look fine.
As far as driveability, I think it depends on your personal taste. I like the smoother ride of the long wheelbase, and the added length as never really posed a problem as far as manuevability or parking. I do that when other people have driven my car, they think it's like driving a barge! I've never had the chance to drive a short x350/351, but I can't imagine there is a night and day difference between the two (barring sport suspension). Either way, the XJ is a good sized car.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Trav
It is a lot of fun. I think everyone should get sideways in an XJR. Release traction control with care. It will make things pucker like you wont believe.
Thumbs up to getting sideways and smokin tires.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Looks-wise, I rather like the "roller skate" look of the xjr w/20s.

I am putting myself through agony reading about you guys and your luxo-power slides

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM

Well my 08XJR came with stock 20's so I guess I will have to live with it.... LOL I think its a pretty good looking skate

Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Service records and receipts is important if looking at a high-miler. These cars can run the marathon, or even go to Mars and back, provided they are serviced.
So many first owners seem to find it so difficult to keep a car up-to-scratch. It puzzles me, because the car cost so much, have they nothing left over for the services ? Don't they value their purchases ? In my case, on buying, I saw services at the Jaguar 10,000 mile intervals, (or even a bit less), but the guy only did 30k in 7 years, so I have 3 service records instead of 7, as it is supposed to be serviced every year if the mileage is not reached !

Car is still immaculate, though, and runs very well as it did when I tested it a the car dealers. So i don't regret my choice. I have done 10k now since May 2010, so the car gets more use than the previous (first) owner. As a "Sport" I initially found the ride a bit harsh, but have now got used to it. Higher profile tyres on smaller wheels helped a lot.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Service records and receipts is important if looking at a high-miler. These cars can run the marathon, or even go to Mars and back, provided they are serviced.
So many first owners seem to find it so difficult to keep a car up-to-scratch. It puzzles me, because the car cost so much, have they nothing left over for the services ? Don't they value their purchases ? In my case, on buying, I saw services at the Jaguar 10,000 mile intervals, (or even a bit less), but the guy only did 30k in 7 years, so I have 3 service records instead of 7, as it is supposed to be serviced every year if the mileage is not reached !
After all these years with a dealer, is seems to me that the vast majority of first owners buy a Jaguar like most of us buy a lawn-mower. It is a tool of transport for them. Most of them keep up the minimum maintenance but that's all. They don't "appreciate" them. The coddling and appreciation is left to us later owners who are actually thrilled to own them. On top of that, in this day and age of leasing, most first "drivers" aren't "owners" anyway. Kind of sad.

Just my thoughts.......

Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

I think Steve has pretty much pegged it.

I've known quite a few high end luxury car buyers. Maybe 20% of them are car enthusiasts and most don't own (or lease) the car long enough to really be concerned about upkeep and repairs....and that's just how they like it :-)

Yeah, they like prestige, style, performance, etc. but fussing over a car, any car, usually isn't the norm.

Interestingly, it's fairly common for Subaru and Toyota owners...and others, too.... who are quite religious about upkeep and repairs, usually because they plan on owning the car many years.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with Charlienmr "Really, the main differences between the XJR and Super V8 is a bit tighter suspension on the XJR". I drove both cars and the XJR doesn't ride as smooth as the Super V8. Given the better ride and the extra whistles & bells, and all else equal, the Super V8 is the king. There's a tad more talent involved in driving a LWB especially SC.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Gosh, I am so torn. There's actually a 2005 Super in Houston that looks too good to be true. Between Road King and XJR Guy, you've got my head spinning! Perhaps it will end up to be the best car available at the moment I'm finally ready to make a purchase, whether it be SWB or LWB. In the final analysis, how can I go wrong?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM

I agree with xjrguy. I am proud to own my Jag

Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Gosh, I am so torn. There's actually a 2005 Super in Houston that looks too good to be true. Between Road King and XJR Guy, you've got my head spinning! Perhaps it will end up to be the best car available at the moment I'm finally ready to make a purchase, whether it be SWB or LWB. In the final analysis, how can I go wrong?

Hey trav. You want me to go check it out for you?

Quick Reply: Driving Long vs. Short Wheelbase Cars