XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Emissions Defect Warranties and the Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Defect Warranties and the Limp Mode

2004 XJ8 64k: We have the limp mode issue. From all that I have been able to gather there is no "real" fix, just speculation. I have seen posts where the throttle body replacement is the recommended action. However, I have seen where people that have had that done have a repeat of the problem. After having the codes trip and the car go into limp mode I took it to a mechanic to read the codes. He contacted a shop that specializes in Jaguar and they told him to replace the throttle body. being the honest type of mechanic, rare I know, he said that most cars this age had emmisions warranties for 8 years and 80,000 miles. So, I pulled out my "Passport to Service" and sure enough the last paragraph on page 10 states, "In addition to parts listed on page 11, the Emmisions Defect Warranty also covers the following specified major emmision control components for eight (8) years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first." It then lists Catalytic converters, ECM/TCM and On-board emissions diagnostic devices. On page 11 it lists, among many other things, throttle body assembly. Pretty cut and dry. Apparently not to the folks a the local dealership, Barrett, nor apparently the Regional Factory Rep. In speaking with a Customer Support Rep, the throttle body is not part of emmisions in the State of Texas. Now I love Texas and I know that there are some real political arguements now about States' rights and all, but as far as I know the Federal Defect Warranty trumps, what they think, if that is true. BTW if you visit Jaguar's webpage it also says that Emissions are covered for 80k too. The real issue as I see it is that Jaguar has had some people paying 1200-1500 a pop to replace the throttle body, or whatever else they saw fit to fix this elusive problem, all while they were under this warranty. So...as usual, instead of doing what is right and fulfilling their own warranty obligation, Jaguar is insisting that I get a lawyer involved and sue them to get my problem fixed. Looks like I will have to take them up on this. Take a look at your own warranty booklets and see how many things you have been charged for that fall under the list on page 11, or whatever page it is in your booklet.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Very interesting. I knew about the 8 year/80K miles requirement on emissions related components which is a federal mandate for all manufacturers selling their cars in the US. The TB is a borderline emissions item, I guess.

I am interested in how this turns out. Could you please keep posting?

Thanks,

Old 03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Are You Sure?

I haven't bothered to look at the book for your 2004 models, but the warranty info on my 2007 is very specific - ONLY the cat and ECM are covered for 8/80 (they are denoted by an * on the list). The other items on that list that are emissions control items are only covered for the base 4/50 warranty.

One thing I saw that did surprise me was that Jaguar says the federal emissions control required warranty was only for 2/24, and they were voluntarily extending it. Like you, I thought I remembered certain items having extended coverage required by federal law, so I think I'll research that a bit.
Goose

Old 03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Here are the REAL Facts

Well, it only took me about 1 minute to find the actual facts - you, too, can read them right here:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The bottom line is that Jaguar is right and the OP is wrong. The only items covered by law for 8/80 (since 1995) are the catalytic converter, the "electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)" and the "onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)".
Goose

Last edited by V7Goose; 03-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM

Did you know that there are people that troll boards like these that are paid by the companies that they are about to post defenses, obfiscations, and propaganda? Interesting isn't it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by V7Goose
Well, it only took me about 1 minute to find the actual facts - you, too, can read them right here:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The bottom line is that Jaguar is right and the OP is wrong. The only items covered by law for 8/80 (since 1995) are the catalytic converter, the "electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)" and the "onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)".
Goose
The bottom line is what the courts decide. I am not a lawyer, so the following is just my own opinion. Although, I have some experience with lawyers. I grew up in a house with a lawyer that won a case at the United States Sumpreme Court. So if you have questions, please consult your own attorney. If this turns out to be a Toyota like problem, at a smaller scale, although it could be as dangerous to lose power ath speed as it is to accelerate, then there might just be one attorney, or a firm for a class action. I have never had to file a lawsuit against someone, and would prefer not to now. But:

Withing the four corners of the document that governs my situation and is the contract that Jaguar has with me through their warranty it says, "In addition to parts listed on page 11, the Emmisions Defect Warranty also covers the following specified major emmision control components for eight (8) years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first." That is pretty plain. It means whatever is on page 11 is covered. There is no ambiguity. Here is the good news for me and bad news for Jaguar as the drafter, even if there where (there's not) any interpetations would be ruled in my favor. Jaguar wrote it and Jaguar is bound by it.

So...they can stand by their warranty or they can fight it and ultimately have to fix it and pay their lawyers, and the court and my lawyers and damages. In fact, it may be Jaguar and Ford that are on the hook.